Poll: Would you pay Nokia £1-£5 every 6 months to bring the features in line with Meego release and portin
Poll Options
Would you pay Nokia £1-£5 every 6 months to bring the features in line with Meego release and portin

Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
These comments really make me wonder...
Why oh why do people always want something for free. When is it getting through to some peoples thick heads that nothing is for free.. There is no such thing in our world (except the sun every morning)

PLEASE let me PAY for the software besides the hardware!! Then i can except something because i then i have something where i can say, look i want support, i want new upgrades because i pay for it with my subscription... No No nokia i dont want to upgrade to the next phone yet, i dont want to pay another 500 euro's again for a next phone, maybe next year i will do that, but NOW i just want new and updated software..

But we are going down the drain, everything is going the wrong way in my eyes, look at ovi maps.. I really dont like that it is for free now.. Why? Same reason as above, what is Nokia's incentive now to support older phones? Why would we ever get it on the N900??
Why would users of let say the N97 mini that has now an Ovi maps 3.0.x get Ovi Maps 4.0 if the N97 is already replaced by the next model? It is for free, you get want you get when you bought the phone, why would you get anything more after that, especially when the phone is not for sale anymore..

I just want to pay exactly for the stuff i get, i want to pay for the hardware, an then i want to pay for the software that gives me rights, then i am in my rights to complain that i dont get anything, Now many here are complaining and complaining (Voice Navigation, MMS and so on) but why? Did you pay for that? nope.. so why would Nokia give it to you?

I would pay Nokia 50-100 euro if needed if they then say you will get for 2-3 years the latest Meego releases fully supported by us including all the features new phones will get then in that time frame (except if the hardware can't handle it anymore)
(with firmware updates every 3 months)
dude i have paid so much for this device !! its not a cheap and i aint rich nor many are!!

i have been buying nokia phones long time now cuz they are the best!! and if i ask them for a lil in return that too for free aint gonna cost them much, in return they get more new fans more sales!!

think over it!!

The Following User Says Thank You to anaskr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
The things mentioned presviously like Flash 10 should be free... they're just updates to software. They are not new operating system, new features and they don't warrant charging for. As for other things like Facebook client, A-GPS etc. these should have been included in the ORIGINAL released of the phone, Nokia short changed customers by advertising the phone to have features and capabilities like this and then not providing them.

As for something like MeeGo... Apple provided the major system update to iPhones, iPods etc recently. If you had a new-ish device you got it free. If you had an older device there was a £20 (I think) fee so you could get it too.

I don't see any reason why the Maemo -> Meego situation should be different. Nokia need to sort out their planning, communication, product lifecycles, customer care and general act!

If it meant the difference between the n900 continuing or dying a death then I would pay to keep it going

But then im tied into a 2 year contract so why should I pay more than I already am

I think there needs to be a change as no device has a shelf life of 2 years in this technological world we live in, in fact most things are out of date the day they are released, much like cars lose 20% of the value the moment the car leaves the forecourt

I already paid for that when i bought my N900.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2010 @ @Netherlands
Why are people moaning about that they payed already a lot for the n900? Every phone in the same range is as expensive as the n900. We get free apps and free games because of the great community work. I don't mind to pay for updates / software / games..

I'm in

I refuse to pay anymore money to nokia, I would much prefer to pay the money to a keen dev on this site, hell id rather see the money go to a few students keen on development, all the money goes into a kitty and gets shared out for devs a bit like the coding competition, it would be nice to see people who own the phone develope on it! since pr1.2 my phone seems worse than before, keep gettin errors on websites, some dont't even use flash!

having two or more teams competing for the best solution to a problem with the incentive of a nice sack of cash would be a much better idea i think...

I just feel like Nokia would waste the money, if we look how long it took to get pr1.2 out, how much would that have cost us? They would blow the money on one update with nothing in it and then tell us they had a small problem they couldn't fix even with the 100 developers they had on it and we would be screwed yet again!

Personally I would pay a smallish fee for a new OS, but I wouldn't pay for fixes or smaller feature updates.

I can live with paying a fee because companies have to factor in the costs of developing and porting a new OS to older hardware. But, at the same time, they also have to factor in the cost of alienating and losing their old customer base when they try to sell their new hardware.

I look forward to a time when we can purchase mobile handset hardware and install the OS of our choice, much like we can with PCs and netbooks today.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK

To be fair, I don't think one can get the choice between features and fixes. Under this model, we would be paying for full software support on a hardware, which may not be supported otherwise, and porting an OS and apps which won't be available otherwise (not officially supported anyways). The fact is that even releasing and testing fixes has an associated cost would mean that Nokia needs to employ someone to do it. So it would have to be a combination of fixes and features that one would be paying for.

As for the sentiment expressed by a few of you that you would rather pay open source developer(s) than Nokia, again the issue is that Nokia would probably not release the source code of their drivers because that contains their intellectual property. So building an image from scratch would probably mean extensive reverse engineering. Given what has happened to older Maemo devices, I don't think that is a viable option, though I would love to be proven wrong and have that option.

Last edited by arbitrabbit; 2010-05-31 at 14:43.

I would if the device itself would've been half its price