a qw er ty screen keyboard for portrait sms

Great job

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bavaria, Germany
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
From a quick search, here's at least one patent you should be aware of:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/71...scription.html
Nice, another US patent ...

But do they really matter for developing open source? Since I'm not in the US I don't have to care about them. The software is not sold and doesn't come pre-installed with any N900.

(btw: Is "reading" patented? )

Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by gri View Post

But do they really matter for developing open source? Since I'm not in the US I don't have to care about them. The software is not sold and doesn't come pre-installed with any N900.

IMHO I think that everyone can create all app he wants. Patent is about an algorithm not about a feature. Perhaps thread title can deceive!
For example Windows implements media player but a lot of others players exists.

Later i will post already done features about my app (i need also a good name :P ) and planned ones.

when can we test this?

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway

Selling or not selling doesn't matter, you're still infringing on their intellectual property (whether or not you believe in it), although being outside the US will likely make it easier, it won't make you invulnerable.

Regardless, this is all a bit offtopic for this thread, I just wanted to bring it up to make sure people stay aware of it. It *is* probably something to keep in mind.

Could you upload some screenshots please (from SDK environment)?
Would be nice

The Following User Says Thank You to DaSilva For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Selling or not selling doesn't matter, you're still infringing on their intellectual property (whether or not you believe in it), although being outside the US will likely make it easier, it won't make you invulnerable.

Regardless, this is all a bit offtopic for this thread, I just wanted to bring it up to make sure people stay aware of it. It *is* probably something to keep in mind.
This is an important part of projects,it isn't OT for me!
I start from this idea (IMHO): replicate T9 behaviour is not infringing on their intellectual property; some years ago i have to write a simple algorithm like this for one of my university course and on the web is easy find simple algorithms that works like T9 (with less features surely).
I want to underline again that my app doesn't implements original and patented T9 algorithm and that i don't know a line of code about it. The code of my app is taken from my mind and from some qt tutorials
Motorola implements iTap that is similar to T9 and perhaps also HTC has a proprietary algorithm.

I will post an alpha release this evening or tomorrow, i have a pairs of things to change. If i will notice that this infringe some copyrights i will remove it.

Who wants test application needs to prepare a text file for building dictionary in her own language.
the file must have one word for line and not include spaces or symbols: only a-z characters lowercase. ATM it only manage these characters. I tested it with 60.000 words file and all works good

PS if you post files here i can add it to deb files

Last edited by realsportcars; 2010-06-01 at 18:39.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bavaria, Germany
Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
I want to underline again that my app doesn't implements original and patented T9 algorithm and that i don't know a line of code about it. The code of my app is taken from my mind and from some qt tutorials
Whether you break a patent or not has nothing to do with "knowing the method".

Anyway, I'd be pleased if you release a shared library and a program separately - I think many of us would be interested in a vertical keyboard which looks same accross multiple programs

Whether you break a patent or not has nothing to do with "knowing the method".

Anyway, I'd be pleased if you release a shared library and a program separately - I think many of us would be interested in a vertical keyboard which looks same accross multiple programs
I miss a thing...why my app break a patent? cause it allows user to write a message iterating on a dictionary? Or cause it use alphanumeric keyboard for input? Or what else?

Please explain me because i really don't understand!
Thank you!