Active Topics

Notices

just installed, but it doesn't work here. The program crashes while loading the contacts and don't start at all. I have some of 500 contacts, does the number matters?
Any idea/workaround?

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Holland
i've installed it looks great aspecially the keyboard, when i only have one hand left i never could make a call! whats to bad is that everytime you start it up it go's to "Thumbnails" but i like it beter if it starts up whit "Contacts" an if you open contacts it take a lot of time to load them al a long time...

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Very.. Very nice!

Edit: If anyone wants a free program to turn .mp3s into .wavs (and to edit them). Try Audacity.

Edit: What happens if I put people into groups into the widget, but then I close the widget. Is the grouping no longer in effect? I'll test it tomorrow (everyone is asleep).
The groups/settings are saved on a text file. The application will only handle ring tones if you have the applet installed to the desktop and/or leave the "MyContacts" application running. They are actually two windows of the same executable to save resources. If you close the two the process/application will stop and not listen for the dbus signals anymore.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Originally Posted by mtjioe View Post
The applet looks really great. But there are still some bugs. It's quite unstable.
Please provide me with as much detail as possible and I will investigate.

- adding a contact to a group will sometimes crash the application
Do you mean adding a contact to a group or adding to the "contacts" database while the application is running? Can you give me more details?

- the applet should IMHO be a standalone app, Because at this moment when MyContacts crahses the applet is removed also.
The main reason why they are connected is to save you resources (memory/cpu). The goal should be get rid of the bugs.

- It would be great to be able to add contacts without a thumbnail to the contacts group. So give it a default icon with a name...
You can but right now you first need to assign one of the "standard" thumbnails to the contact using the "official" contacts application. As now the application will not save anything to your contacts database - only read.

- It would also be great to allow adding a specific number of a contact to the speeddial in the applet (and if so allow for adding several contacts twice (but with different phone numbers)... I really miss the quite normal speeddial functions as used on eg symbian devices (E90)...
I agree completely. That was the motivation for this project. You can add the same contact to more than one group and after I finish implementing the "call priorities" per group will be able to a little more. One other idea is to have the application show you little icons around the contact when you press the first time so you can quickly select what number to call (cell, home, work,..)

- Perhaps double clicking for call is not the best idea, perhaps long press is better?
Maybe a setting will help here? It can be one way or another... I was not sure how popular the call "standard" number would be but for me is essential and I don't mind the double click. You will be able to change the time between clicks for the double click - in case you are having problems getting the double click just right. It will be a setting at some point.

- The contacts list is not sorted, and clicking on the keyboard just searches for the first character in a name, it should use a incremental search.
The contacts are actually sorted by name. The one issue I am aware is that some contacts may not have a name (just a nickname) and the qt mobility package will not just not sort them - they will be on the bottom of the list. I need to remember to create a feature request for this one on the nokia web site...
It actually uses the standard "incremental search" for the list. It is quite tricky to get the timing right. I will add to my list to add a better one.

Keep up the good work, this could easily grow to be one of the most usefull programs on my N900!!
Thanks!

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network

Originally Posted by nizanh View Post
Hi

I've just installed your app, but I don't get a desktop app, nor options to group

The version that I get in AppMan is 0.0.6-1

Cheers
Niz
This is not the latest or it is the wrong version. Try to refresh the application manager, it should present you with an upgrade.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
I noticed a problem with the application: when you select a portrate mode, you can't go back to any other mode. And it freezes everything when you select contacts in the portrait mode. Also, can we add contacts without having the thumbnail of the contact?
I don't have any problems changing the mode back to auto or landscape and the application does seem to work fine when I select the contact. I do see the style is off when you don't have a thumbnail - will look into it....

Anybody else? Any more details?

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

this is a cool replacement for the contacts app however i have some inputs:
a. after i add contacts, few of them doesnt have the option to send SMS to.
b. its REALLY hard for me to find contacts between all those thumbnails because my IM contacts are also there plus there are no names, making it even harder, you should filter phonable contacts from IM contacts and add names.
c. find a way to add portrait mode, maybe using drlaunch.
d. few of my contacts have a few number(home/cell/work ect) and it could be nice to have an option to choose default for the col double tap option

no doubt this is going in the right direction !

The Following User Says Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Like some others above I have installed the app but have no option to instal the applet or add a widget. Am I missing something?

Also the app has completely muddled up the contact thumbnails.
You probably have the wrong version. Refreshing the application manager should give you an option to upgrade.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Originally Posted by yupa View Post
just installed, but it doesn't work here. The program crashes while loading the contacts and don't start at all. I have some of 500 contacts, does the number matters?
Any idea/workaround?
I am not so sure the issue is with the number of contacts... it may be something unique about one of them. Can you monitor how much memory the application is allocating while it loads? I have about 300 and conky will report that the applications is using about 15% of the memory.

Please make sure you have the latest version first by refreshing the application manager.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Originally Posted by jbw89 View Post
i've installed it looks great aspecially the keyboard, when i only have one hand left i never could make a call! whats to bad is that everytime you start it up it go's to "Thumbnails" but i like it beter if it starts up whit "Contacts" an if you open contacts it take a lot of time to load them al a long time...
If you install the applet the application will start immediately and will always go back to the previous view you were using.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900: