Active Topics

As a onetime palm user I would say it is time. Palm is always saying they will get their OS finished "next year" and that time never comes.
I do have some concerns about what I see as a lack of available programs and developer support however it does what it does very well. I used to like to be able to play card games on my palm and practice my game but I see no card games available here and the games they do have remind me of what I ran on my commodore. I'm hoping things will improve after 0s2008 is released.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
see this card game:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/g...mes_aisleriot/

and try also wesnoth. i love it. this is a strategy game

I love my Treo 700P, but I'm seriously thinking about ditching it in favor of a minuscule bluetooth phone...a Razr or something similar. Sprint's EVDO on my N800 is awesome, and anything PIM-wise I'm doing on the Treo (admittedly, not much) can be replicated with a combo of open-source apps and Google.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
A while back some of us proposed a new phone type: the high speed, bluetooth, camera-enabled, otherwise-stripped-down companion to the internet tablets. Man, I'd love to see that happen...
Well, change bluetooth to wifi, and remove the camera ... and I may have found something that will fit the bill:

mobile/cellular routers

Look at the last product I mentioned. Once they have the battery powered and GSM compatible version, it could very well do the trick.

Originally Posted by wls View Post
As a onetime palm user I would say it is time. Palm is always saying they will get their OS finished "next year" and that time never comes.
I do have some concerns about what I see as a lack of available programs and developer support however it does what it does very well. I used to like to be able to play card games on my palm and practice my game but I see no card games available here and the games they do have remind me of what I ran on my commodore. I'm hoping things will improve after 0s2008 is released.
This is precisely the trap I fell into, the mistake of wishfulness about mobile Linux as a consequence of impatience with Palm's progress. Words like "I'm hoping things will improve after 0s2008 is released" are solid evidence that you're kidding yourself and walking away from something that works toward something that doesn't, and doesn't offer any assurance of ever working. My experience with Nokia's "commitment" to OS2007 told me everything I need to know about the future of Nokia's Internet Tablets.

P.S. Many people drop serious money on a mobile computer only when they hope to get more from it than solitaire games.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Games? What about flash? http://www.flash-game.net/game/1996/...hold%27em.html is at least one example.

Originally Posted by boblinds View Post
I have both a Palm device and a Nokia 700. I like them both; however, the answer to your question is easy for me. Do not buy a Nokia Internet tablet to replace a Palm PIM. You will be disappointed.
Agreed, 100%. I have been much happier with the n810 after I gave up on the idea of it replacing my Palm T5.

So... the n810 is an expensive toy, basically. It's a great toy, make no mistake, but do not expect it to be as useful as a $200 Palm.

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
So, if the Internet experience on a phone (and by that they mean web - just look at all the other Internet services we can access on a tablet) is so poor that it resulted in the creation of a new device type (apparently), why not the poor state of PIM software on a phone?
I have had a Palm for years and years, and cell phones for most of that time. I currently have a Palm T5 and Motorola RAZR. Personally, I think it's ridiculous that anyone would use their phone for calendar and contact management.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bblackmoor View Post
So... the n810 is an expensive toy, basically. It's a great toy, make no mistake, but do not expect it to be as useful as a $200 Palm.*
*For PIM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
*For PIM.
If that is your opinion, you are certainly entitled to it. But I place no such qualifier on my opinion. In my opinion, the n810 is not as useful as a $200 Palm.