Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Every OS upgrade is free.

No hardcover, sorry, though there is some kind of sock thing.

Separate hardcover shouldn't be too pricey.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
ok, the speed without sacrificing battery life are good things I am interested in.
Not so worried about video, apart from flash, as music and video playing are handled by the iPod (and I happy with it that way).
I like the stand idea too (especially as I have a bluetooth keyboard. Is the 2008 upgrade a free one?

Do you mean there is a hardcover included or do you have to buy one? That is one of the things I like on the 770, the integrated hard cover (especially as it puts it to sleep).
seriously buy the n800.......... its really really better than the n770. It is well worth the upgrade!!

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I upgraded the 770 to 2007HE, and apart from the wireless no longer working and the change of image, I really can't see that much of a change (well, other than I can use the official version of aisle riot rather than my own compiled one). Is it just the speed, and the upgrading to 2008 processor speed, does that reduce battery life?
wireless no longer working? Do you use some special type of authentication? Wireless is same or better with 2007HE for me. At least you can tune WLAN power saving timeout. OS2006 uses 1 second (1000ms), with OS2007 you can go down to 200 or 100ms which can save power (but breaks some flaky routers and slows transfer rates).

IMO the most important upgrade is not the CPU speed but the RAM. 64 is really not much for bloated system like Maemo. 128 is just about fine. I guess more RAM improves overall system response more that raising clock from 252 to 330 or 400MHz since the system no longer swaps so much and more stuff remains cached. With 770 you just boot system and more than half RAM is used, then you launch browser, open some bigger page and all RAM is gone, buffers are flushed and system starts to swap.

Of course higher cpu speed and FPU is a bonus as is the second SD slot.

So unless you are 100% satisfied with 770 go for N800 (or N810 if you don't mind the money and only one memory slot like with 770).

770 is still OK if not stressed much. Web browsing speed of 2007HE + Opera engine feels similar to microb engine with N8x0/OS2008. But let's hope newer firefox engine in Diablo will bring the Opera on N800/OS2007 speed back.

When I got N800 I still used 770 quite a lot and took it everywhere because of the cover and size. Now when I have N810 too I switched 770 for N810. N800 have no good cover and is a bit bulky so I'm using it only at home for couch/bed/toilet browsing and watching movies (full size SDHC slots!). N810 have keyboard, is smaller, has adequate cover and even have GPS so it is best outdoors.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-04-03 at 12:16.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
wireless no longer working? Do you use some special type of authentication?
no. But it wouldn't matter if I did, no wirless networks show up at all, whereas before there were at least a few, and I think at least one was open. It appeared the first time I booted it, set it up and then no networks appeared ever again.

So unless you are 100% satisfied with 770 go for N800 (or N810 if you don't mind the money and only one memory slot like with 770).
The N810 isn't even an option. I can get a N800 for £100, which makes it a reasonable toy. The N810 is way over £200 pretty well everywhere, for which it would need a clear use (which I haven't got).

When I got N800 I still used 770 quite a lot and took it everywhere because of the cover and size. Now when I have N810 too I switched 770 for N810. N800 have no good cover and is a bit bulky so I'm using it only at home for couch/bed/toilet browsing and watching movies (full size SDHC slots!).
Hmm.. not so good then. I like the 770 case. I don't need it for home, as the laptop is fine for that.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Hmm.. not so good then. I like the 770 case. I don't need it for home, as the laptop is fine for that.
Personally, I think the hardcover is overrated. Unless you're keeping your N800 in the pocket with your keys and your jacks set, then there really isn't much of a risk to the screen. The N800 is faster to get to and put away than the 770, as a long (or double-press) on the power button (well, as soon DSME patches make it into an update if you don't want to use powerlaunch) is quicker than flipping and unflipping the hardcover.

Besides, the huge usability improvement from the various spec upgrades more than outweights any issues one might have with the hardcover.

Regarding the wireless network issue, have you considered a reflash?

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
I changed a 770 for a n800 4 month ago. I miss the automatic sleep-mode enabling hardcover. I always used the 770 with the OEM OS2006; it was rock solid and never had a limitation on web browsing. I don't care much about youtube and the n800 is still not a perfect youtube viewer (choppy playback while it download the video) but the n800 gave me the web-cam, a crappy fm radio and a faster cpu.... so what ? the 770 played the resized DVDs perfectly well and was a lot less prone to broken screens with that hardcover.

the main reason I sold the 770 was nokia dropping OS support. 4 month later, I can tell you it was not a good reason as OS2008 is not A LOT better than OS2006 when you use the tablet as is for video-mp3-web

My call : keep the 770+OS2006 until the n810 can be found at a better price; unless you are a youtube or web2.0 freak

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I guess I will try reflashing it.

I rate hardcovers. I am not someone who is prepared to carefully put something somewhere. Whatever I carry has to go in my bag with all the other stuff that will get thrown in there. The 770 is good for that. The TC1100 was good as it had a glass screen (well, still has!).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I always used the 770 with the OEM OS2006; it was rock solid and never had a limitation on web browsing.
You sure we used the same device? OS2006 was certainly not "rock solid", and the web browser most certainly was limited—that old Opera could barely handle any dynamic sites.

but the n800 gave me the web-cam, a crappy fm radio and a faster cpu....
. . . and twice the RAM, flash, and (by current memory card sizes) 32 times the storage.

so what ?
So what indeed. A much, much better browsing experience and improved usability across the board.

I can tell you it was not a good reason as OS2008 is not A LOT better than OS2006 when you use the tablet as is for video-mp3-web
I respectfully, but heartily, disagree.

My call : keep the 770+OS2006 until the n810 can be found at a better price; unless you are a youtube or web2.0 freak
What, exactly, is the advantage of the N810 over the N800, in your use case, that would merit its recommendation over the N800?

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What, exactly, is the advantage of the N810 over the N800, in your use case, that would merit its recommendation over the N800?

the keyboard but I hate the move to mini-sd. (anyway I made myself an autoswitching USB cable for a regular keyboard on the n800)

but as I told you; it's my experience, your mileage may vary.

GeneralAntilles, you are using the tablet as a power user (as I was with the 770) but now I'm more a casual user on the n800 that never dropped to the n800's console or installed more than "Camera" and "FM Radio" on the n800. So to me, not much difference between the 770 and the n800, both play mp3, video, rss and offer a non diluted and non mobile phone type internet experience.

I sold my used 770 160$ (paid 160$ new)to get a 200$ n800; that was a good move. But selling a 770 for 75$ to get a 230$ n800 might not be a wise move if you don't need more than what the 770 is giving you. ask yourself is the money spent worth a 20% faster loading webpage ? I'm not ADHD to that point; I can wait 1 or 2 seconds longer to get to the webpage.

BTW, OS2006 was rock solid until I added a lot of more or less usefull applications and various plugins. Out of the box it was reliable for me.

your mileage may vary

Last edited by smog; 2008-04-03 at 19:04.

Personally, I agree with SMOG. Although, there's a huge caveat that I don't have and haven't used an 800.

But I have my 770 with OS2006. I don't know that I'd use the phrase rock solid, but I've had very few problems with the OS. I was always planning on upgrading to 2007HE or 2008HE, but I just haven't found the need to do that. 2006 has been fine for me.

I use mine for web browsing, fbreader, movies (infrequently), music, and lots of shell/terminal stuff. (And some games and Maemo Mapper)

I have a 1GB card I use for Maemo Mapper and a 2GB I use for regular usage with music/videos.

The main reasons I stopped using my Axim and moved to the 770 were screen size for web browsing and the cover.

I realize some people don't think the cover is a big deal. And that's great for them. For me, the cover was the selling point, and it's still a huge plus for me.

Faster/more memory would be nice. But I love the form factor of the hard cover, and I don't think I'll change until (if) I find a similar cover for the other models.

And I'm happy enough with my 770 that it's not a big deal if they don't and I stay with my 770.

And with the Youtube plugin on Canola, I can have all my Weird Al videos from Youtube on it now. :-)

It's not an iPhone, and it's not cutting edge, but it does what I want, and for me and some others, it's pretty stable.

desiv