Active Topics

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
There is also similar keyboard here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11933, got it and works as usual. Size is same as keyboard inside notebook, it feels a bit cheap (because it is :-)
Anyone try this foldable bt keyboard?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6443

Originally Posted by ebrindle View Post
Haven't tried it. Looks like it uses the SPP (serial port profile) instead of HID (human interface device). I think somebody else here has stated that kbdd is needed to get SPP input devices to work. So it might need a little more configurating than, for example, this one:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics.../product.html?

(which I received this week and am so far quite happy with).

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
There is also similar keyboard here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11933, got it and works as usual. Size is same as keyboard inside notebook, it feels a bit cheap (because it is :-)
That one, though, is 11.8 inches wide; same as a notebook, as you said.

The 2366 is 8.6 inches, which makes (some of) us much happier.

If you're going to have a foot-long keyboard, you probably can't pocket it; 8.6 is perfect jacket-pocket size, though. For me, if I can tote that beast, I can probably tote a full-pitch keyboard instead, and be even happier. It occupies a middle point on the typability/portability scale which is useless for me. (And probably many others looking at ordering one.)

I'm looking at making this a jacketable solution:
  • Whole thing slides into one pocket
  • add velcroable storage for the N800 and BT mouse on the back
  • (likely) add a small USB hub adapted with a Micro B OTG cable, and the keyboard wired into the hub permanently
  • (maybe) even add two eyelets for a sling; that way I can sling the thing bandolier-wise in the summer
I'll wait till it gets here to finalize how much stuff I can stick on it and the strap, but I can see RS232, 100baseTX, and 802.11b/g (with packet injection, external antenna) adapters, GPS, and one/several chargers and/or tip adapters, at least, when in bandolier mode.

(And yes, I'll look like a complete nerd, but think how completer a nerd I'd look if the keyboard was 11.8 inches!)

Edit: And I think the same thing as you mentioned, although a different color, is available from pointingmouse for about a buck less: USB SMALL FOOTPRINT INTERNET MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-05 at 23:27.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
That one, though, is 11.8 inches wide; same as a notebook, as you said.

The 2366 is 8.6 inches, which makes (some of) us much happier.

If you're going to have a foot-long keyboard, you probably can't pocket it; 8.6 is perfect jacket-pocket size, though. For me, if I can tote that beast, I can probably tote a full-pitch keyboard instead, and be even happier. It occupies a middle point on the typability/portability scale which is useless for me. (And probably many others looking at ordering one.)

I'm looking at making this a jacketable solution:
  • Whole thing slides into one pocket
  • add velcroable storage for the N800 and BT mouse on the back
  • (likely) add a small USB hub adapted with a Micro B OTG cable, and the keyboard wired into the hub permanently
  • (maybe) even add two eyelets for a sling; that way I can sling the thing bandolier-wise in the summer
I'll wait till it gets here to finalize how much stuff I can stick on it and the strap, but I can see RS232, 100baseTX, and 802.11b/g (with packet injection, external antenna) adapters, GPS, and one/several chargers and/or tip adapters, at least, when in bandolier mode.

(And yes, I'll look like a complete nerd, but think how completer a nerd I'd look if the keyboard was 11.8 inches!)

Edit: And I think the same thing as you mentioned, although a different color, is available from pointingmouse for about a buck less: USB SMALL FOOTPRINT INTERNET MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD
Please post a photo of yourself a la Pancho Villa once you're in full regalia!

I'm curious, under what circumstances would you be walking around using this construction? I don't mean this with respect to the nerd factor (which I prefer to think of as the Pancho Villa revolutionary factor), but when would you be *walking* and *inputting* that heavily at the same time?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
How are batteries with this thing plugged in?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Please post a photo of yourself a la Pancho Villa once you're in full regalia!
Hey, I said maybe, so don't bet on it, but I'd like to...

I'm curious, under what circumstances would you be walking around using this construction? I don't mean this with respect to the nerd factor (which I prefer to think of as the Pancho Villa revolutionary factor), but when would you be *walking* and *inputting* that heavily at the same time?
Well, mainly as a way of carrying it, not actually typing with it on, though that would be possible...

I was thinking with the keys against my chest and the back out to easily pop the N800 in and out, but if it was flippable, maybe it would work; guess I'll have to try.

Walking is across campus, to the tune of 0.5 mile each way. If I put a text-book strap on the back (for balance ), I might be able to ditch the backpack; at the very least, I can carry the sensitive electronics away from heavy books, in convenient reach, and without the pockets-vest I normally use. (The school I went to for undergrad was much smaller => less walking => vest was comfortable year-round; it's not really that insulating, but when you're doing a 10 minutes brisk walk, anything's hot.)

Yeah, you bet I'll post pics (of whatever I wind up with), but it'll be a while...

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-06 at 00:50. Reason: Added quote

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
It's shift + space to toggle.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ebrindle View Post
This looks like iPaq Bluetooth Foldable a.k.a Stowaway Shasta for Blackberry, same hardware is also sold with many other names. It can work with kbdd http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#kbdd but IMO nowadays it is better to get 'proper' keyboard with HID profile support, they are not more expensive. HID keyboards don't need any special drivers and work with many systems out of box. Still, I'm 99.9% sure you can get this keyboard working with kbdd if you decide to buy it.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
I'm using one of those roll-up keyboards. easy to stow. Hard to destroy, and, since I'm on the IT, squishy keys are ok.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
That one, though, is 11.8 inches wide; same as a notebook, as you said. The 2366 is 8.6 inches, which makes (some of) us much happier.
It occupies a middle point on the typability/portability scale which is useless for me. (And probably many others looking at ordering one.)
Yes, that's why I mentioned the notebook size, it may be too big for someone. I wanted simple, black, cheap and relatively small USB keyboard for home. Most of time it will be lying on my Xbox (running mostly XBMC) under TV, regular PC keyboard would be too big and out of place there.

Actually, few days ago I ordered this USB 2366 Mini Keyboard too because of the size, you are completely right regarding mobility and usage with the tablet.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.