Active Topics

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Charge now, ship end november. That's the deal, I'm afraid. Next batch is next year...

Um, not that you care, but that's... against Visa/Mastercard rules. They are at risk for having their accounts terminated.

The problem is, see, I'm not much of a gamer, and the Pandora really is set up to be a gaming machine. But for $356 including shipping, I'm sorely, sorely tempted...
The bonus is of course that there's probably going to be lots of infrastructure stuff to hack at - optimising media player, DSP stuff, etc.

I will resist however. I want the N900. It will be smaller, and it will be Maemo.
I'm also resisting for the time being, the Nokia device will be nicer I think (as in looks & feel) and will have HSPA which would be very useful.

OTOH, if there's nothing forthcoming by Christmas time, I will be even more tempted (assuming there are any left to be ordered).

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by eliagp View Post
I don't think its all that expensive either. Don't have the money right now. I should get a part time job XD. This and a small netbook should keep me going for a couple of months. My inner geek is never satiated.
I blame the economy!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
Um, not that you care, but that's... against Visa/Mastercard rules. They are at risk for having their accounts terminated.
I wasn't sure, but that's what I thought. Every reputable place I've ever done a pre-order has always taken the info.. but never charged until they finally ship the product... and I THOUGHT that might have been a policy on behalf of the credit cards... but I can't find that info anywhere.

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
The bonus is of course that there's probably going to be lots of infrastructure stuff to hack at - optimising media player, DSP stuff, etc.

[QUOTEI will resist however. I want the N900. It will be smaller, and it will be Maemo.]

I'm also resisting for the time being, the Nokia device will be nicer I think (as in looks & feel) and will have HSPA which would be very useful
OTOH, if there's nothing forthcoming by Christmas time, I will be even more tempted (assuming there are any left to be ordered).[/quote]

Why wouldn't maemo apps, or even the whole Hildon interface and all, work in Pandora?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Can someone tell me why Nokia wouldn't buy this outfit before the 2nd quarter of 2009? They could be very ripe come Spring. If this thing can:

1. hold its price
2. hold its features
3. have a decent open OS/SDK rollout

it might be my if-it-ever-breaks n800 replacement. Except for a camera that I hardly (really never) use, why would I get another n8xx?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Anyone know approx. what time next year?

(I could search, but I'm too lazy, and Karel loves to talk about any and all things Pandora, so it's a win-win.)
All we know is it'll be in 2009...

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qole View Post
the Pandora really is set up to be a gaming machine. ... I want the N900. It will be smaller, and it will be Maemo.
Well except d-pad and sticks it is small laptop with touchscreen and huge battery (for OMAP). As for Maemo - the hardware is very similar to future N900 so it is quite likely to have Maemo ported (and maybe even N900 firmware hacked to run on it). Still, I'm not tempting anyone ;-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
Apparently Craig got an exception. This is not a Medison Celebrity; Mark I prototype boards have been distributed, prototypes do exist, there's a real factory, etc...

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Well except d-pad and sticks it is small laptop with touchscreen and huge battery (for OMAP). As for Maemo - the hardware is very similar to future N900 so it is quite likely to have Maemo ported (and maybe even N900 firmware hacked to run on it). Still, I'm not tempting anyone ;-)
If it is, I'm certainly not going to install it. Anyway, I'm kinda cool with the default menu system it ships with and I really don't see the need for a "finger friendly" interface on a machine like Pandora.

Uh...I think they need to speed up their forum site. Today.