Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Doesn't anyone think that getting rid of the stylus is a good thing?
Whilst the stylus is essential for the n800/n810 for a lot of web stuff, it's more
annoying having to use it.
Forcing apps to use finger touch makes it less "fiddly"

Was wondering what people actually use the dpad for, browsing etc?
Again I'd be happier if the finger touch improves and no dpad.

Maybe that's just my take on it? or am I missing the dpad/stylus usage?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Strong words for somebody who hasn't even seen the product.
C'mon, you can do better than that. That's what this thread is for. Just say what you're really thinking. You'll feel better. I promise.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Doesn't anyone think that getting rid of the stylus is a good thing?
Whilst the stylus is essential for the n800/n810 for a lot of web stuff, it's more
annoying having to use it.
Forcing apps to use finger touch makes it less "fiddly"

Again I'd be happier if the finger touch improves and no dpad.

Maybe that's just my take on it? or am I missing the dpad/stylus usage?
I only use the stylus on my N800. Those who have used PDAs for many years are addicted to that pen!

or am I missing the dpad/stylus usage
Completely. I'd tell you my use cases but then I'd have to kill you.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Completely. I'd tell you my use cases but then I'd have to kill you.
Given the way people seem to rave about it maybe that would be a good trade ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Why after two iterations of internet tablets did you decide to remove the dpad and the menu button from the screen bezel?
Oooh, some "why" speculation. My go, in order of priority (IMHO):
  1. They wanted a device which a smaller physical size, but without compromising on screen size (same for moving the speakers to the sides)
  2. The sliding keyboard hardware made it an obvious choice for the location.
  3. A strategy decision was taken to be more finger oriented (thus making the tablet easier to use in moving vehicles/whilst walking etc., allowing for more visually appealing/less desktopey UIs and so on), and the dpad and menu key were less useful for that.
  4. It allows for the exterior of the device to be more aesthetically clean.
  5. Microsoft and space-based humanoid lizards are in a secret conspiracy and delivered hypnotoads to Nokia to destroy your brain

Honestly, I think it was (1). Whatever the reason, the smaller form factor of the N810 is much more preferable to me than the bulkier N800.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post

They wanted a device which a smaller physical size, but without compromising on screen size (same for moving the speakers to the sides)
See below.

The sliding keyboard hardware made it an obvious choice for the location.
In my opinion, more the convenient choice and less the obvious

A strategy decision was taken to be more finger oriented (thus making the tablet easier to use in moving vehicles/whilst walking etc., allowing for more visually appealing/less desktopey UIs and so on), and the dpad and menu key were less useful for that.
Yes, this reeks of trendy. It's this kind of rationalization that pisses me off.

It allows for the exterior of the device to be more aesthetically clean.
The real reason in my opinion. If so, very disappointing.

Microsoft and space-based humanoid lizards are in a secret conspiracy and delivered hypnotoads to Nokia to destroy your brain
Well, duh.

Honestly, I think it was (1). Whatever the reason, the smaller form factor of the N810 is much more preferable to me than the bulkier N800.
As I've said before, the speaker placement is genius. But there's too much waisted space on the right side. The only worthy argument, in my opinion, against an off-centered screen would be stereo imaging inaccuracies while watching videos. But that could be compensated for. Also, if aesthetics are important, shouldn't the physical keyboard be centered below the screen?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
  1. They wanted a device which a smaller physical size, but without compromising on screen size (same for moving the speakers to the sides)
  2. The sliding keyboard hardware made it an obvious choice for the location.
  3. A strategy decision was taken to be more finger oriented (thus making the tablet easier to use in moving vehicles/whilst walking etc., allowing for more visually appealing/less desktopey UIs and so on), and the dpad and menu key were less useful for that.
  4. It allows for the exterior of the device to be more aesthetically clean.
  5. Microsoft and space-based humanoid lizards are in a secret conspiracy and delivered hypnotoads to Nokia to destroy your brain
Pretty much accurate. Yes, it gave a smaller device. (It is not as if there is thin air inside the device on the bezels of the screen, just waiting to add components there.)

Yes, cursor movement is needed especially with text input: placing it near the other text input keys makes it more convenient, instead of always having to read for it while inputting text. Duplicating the d-pad doesn't really make sense.

Yes, it's a strategy decision, as a step towards finger usability. Not having the d-pad there forces designers to make application designs that do not rely on having the d-pad there. i.e. more finger usable application designs.

Aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, that wasn't really a factor here (Nokia has plenty of devices with the d-pad in the cover). No to space lizards, unfortunately.

Last edited by ragnar; 2009-04-21 at 21:00.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
press menu key, navigate through menus with d-pad.
navigate through applications.

it's the most "mobile" means of input the device offers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Pretty much accurate. Yes, it gave a smaller device. Yes, cursor movement is needed especially with text input: placing it near the other text input keys makes it more convenient, instead of always having to read for it while inputting text. Duplicating the d-pad doesn't really make sense.

Yes, it's a strategy decision, as a step towards finger usability. Not having the d-pad there forces designers to make application designs that do not rely on having the d-pad there. i.e. more finger usable application designs.

Aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, that wasn't really a factor here (Nokia has plenty of devices with the d-pad in the cover). No to space lizards, unfortunately.
The center button on the d-pad is a duplication of the enter key. If You didn't want to duplicate the d-pad you could have had 4 arrow keys, one per row on the left. You could then have shortened the "Fn" key and the right shift key and thus made room for a menu key where it is usually found on a keyboard. And it still would have been okay to have a 2nd menu key on the screen bezel.

Tags
i want my mtv, pass the butter, pub talk, wet dreams, wishful thinking