Active Topics

I'm a newbie to Linux and Maemo. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Everyone knows that installing apps from repository is official.
However, the question about installing app outside repository is a worthy question. And they want the answer for that question, not the suggestion that installs apps from repos. For example:

1) User doesn't have wifi. He can copy apps which his friends downloaded and installs to his phone.

2) Waiting to download 1000mb apps with slow internet is horrible. Even more terrible with the phone. Many people may want to install many apps at the same times (they don't care about update) instead of clicking 100 times and waiting many hours to download and install apps.

3) I tried to backup the phone, and it only backed up the setting, calendar, ... but not all apps. If we flash firmware, we have to re-install apps, but nobody wants to download and install a ton of apps. It's easier if they already have the apps and they can install locally via pc but Nokia may not support that.

I think Nokia should support downloading apps via pc and allow install to the phone later like iTune and iPhone. It's much easier for user.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
this can be done, its just a hidden feature.........

The N900 (and the Maemo platform) allows the user to, for lack of a better word, “turbo-charge” the Application Manager by opening up a variety of advanced features locked away by default. Enabling them requires taking the “Red-Pill” so to speak. you can always opt for the “Blue-Pill” but c’mon, you only live once.

So, to enable this mode, open the Application Manager and select Catalogs from the drop-down. This will show a list of catalogs

Tap “New” and type the word matrix in the ‘Web address’ field.

Now tap on the blurry region above the Catalogs window. This will bring up the “big choice”

Taking the Blue-Pill will put you back where you started. Taking the Red-Pill will unlock the new world and the Application Catalog will display new buttons like ‘Settings’ and ‘Install from File’

The Application Manager will now update if an internet-connection is available and display a whole lot more packages. These packages are not only useful for development purposes but also for advanced use.

NOTE: Just a word of caution. Enable this mode only if you feel comfortable with managing the advanced features. The chances of getting your phone bricked are high if you don’t know what uou are doing. If you are willing to take the risk, good luck!

another method:
through x-terminal
---------------------

put *.deb file in /home/user/

open x-term, type:

sudo gainroot

dpkg -i filename.deb

to uninstall, type:

dpkg -r appname

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Thanks for quick answer.
If I brick my phone, I can always re-flash the firmware right?
Thanks.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Sigh. Don't point a self-admitted newbie to Maemo to red pill mode. It's not supported, it's not even going to be around soon. It's worse than using the command line and individual debs.

dthoaforum: I don't see most of your use-cases for such a huge amount of developing effort to be likely. What's the probability of someone having a good network connection but no wifi AND no microSD card and a card reader AND an N900? About nil.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Why did you mention about "no microSD card and card reader" here?

Thanks for your caring people. (However, It's good to know about Redbill and Bluebill though ^^)

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
flashing is easy but like Flandry implied, can brick ur phone if u dont know wat ur doing........ so be careful

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Fiji Islands