Active Topics

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Endri View Post
I used it as my main phone and [...]
and this is where you got lost.
You bought an Internet Tablet device with GSM Internet uplink and a telephone option to use as a main phone.

Well... you may use a screwdriver for hammering nails, but it's not well suited for that purpose and you should be aware. Better sell it and buy a real pho^W hammer.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by berty View Post
My N900 says it's cloudy today, and I look outside and it's cloudy. WOW.
Best Post I've seen in a long time :P That's must have killed the trolling once and for all

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
and this is where you got lost.
You bought an Internet Tablet device with GSM Internet uplink and a telephone option to use as a main phone.

Well... you may use a screwdriver for hammering nails, but it's not well suited for that purpose and you should be aware. Better sell it and buy a real pho^W hammer.
I don't understand why people keep claiming that we bought an "internet tablet" that just happens to be a phone. What features of the n900 make it more of an "internet tablet" than a phone? The "phone" features far outweigh the "internet tablet" features.

What does the n900 do that most "phones" don't do that make it an "internet tablet" besides full browsing? A few other phones have multitasking so I consider that a phone feature at this point. You might make an argument that Linux makes it a "tablet."

The hardware on the n900 is basically the same as the iPhone so you can't say that's what makes any difference. The camera might be better but that's a "phone" feature anyways. Not a feature that makes something a "tablet."

Last edited by kbeeveer46; 2010-03-15 at 14:26.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kbeeveer46 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I have to say I agree with the OP - I've suspected for a long time that what we see now on the N900 is what we get. Luckily, it works pretty well for me, but it's not feeling so sexy anymore. A tad boring, but functional, for the most part. My music stutters, the UI is choppy as we all know and I'm kind of hoping for a more fluid experience with 1.2, but I'm not holding my breath.

I used to say my average phone lifespan is 6 months and we're getting pretty close to that now. Ironically, Apple might be what keeps me an N900 user for a while longer: I'll get the iPad and play with that and feel satisfied with my N900 for a few months more. But if there's no improvement after 7 months on the market, you can be sure I won't stick around much longer. Problem is, I don't really know what to get instead...

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Have a nice trip, Endri!

A User with more than 50 Posts and only 8 Thanks... I guess many of us will miss you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
I don't understand why people keep claiming that we bought an "internet tablet" that just happens to be a phone. [...]
Let's see...
  • Nokia 770 - Internet Tablet
  • Nokia N800 - Internet Tablet, successor to 770
  • Nokia N810 - Internet Tablet, evolution of N800
  • Nokia N900 - Internet Tablet, successor to N800/N810 and they finally added GSM module allowing Internet access everywhere

BTW since the GSM module was already there, the phone app was added to make GSM calls, not only VoIP like in previous models.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Let's see...
  • Nokia N900 - Internet Tablet, successor to N800/N810 and they finally added GSM module allowing Internet access everywhere

BTW since the GSM module was already there, the phone app was added to make GSM calls, not only VoIP like in previous models.
We're talking about the n900. It doesn't matter what features previous models have. What features does the n900 have that the iPhone doesn't that make it an "internet tablet"? We can all agree that the iPhone is a great "phone" so I'd like to hear what the n900 does that the iPhone doesn't that's makes it an "internet tablet." Multitasking may not be on the iPhone but it's on plenty of other phones so it's not special to the n900. Anything besides a full browser?

And if you jailbreak and iPhone (which takes a whopping 5 minutes) I'm sure any list you can think of will be very small.

The Following User Says Thank You to kbeeveer46 For This Useful Post:
Let's see...
Technically the n800 and 810 had internet access everywhere IF you had a tetherable phone (can't say for 770 as I never had one).
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Technically the n800 and 810 had internet access everywhere IF you had a tetherable phone (can't say for 770 as I never had one).
Exactly. Putting the GSM module inside Internet Tabled device does not change its design goals. It was designed to be a freakin' good pocketable microcomputer. This has different design goals that designing great mobile phone.

Exactly. Putting the GSM module inside Internet Tabled device does not change its design goals. It was designed to be a freakin' good pocketable microcomputer. This has different design goals that designing great mobile phone.
I'd still like to know how the n900 is more of a microcomputer than, for example, an iPhone. Just because one feature came first doesn't mean it's any better at it than another phone.

I'm just tired of people using the excuse "You should have known you were buying a computer that just happened to have a phone argument" when people are dissappointed with the n900.

People buy the n900 as a phone because it has more phone features than features that make it a "tablet."

Last edited by kbeeveer46; 2010-03-15 at 14:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to kbeeveer46 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-bye losers, disappointment, hello freedom, n900 != phone, relax