Active Topics

Awesome, we're being attacked again for Nokia's actions! Would you be happier if I unquestioningly agreed with you?

Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
They ditched the OS for another, delayed the updates for the ditched OS and after the pathetic numbers, not because "it's a developper phone" but because of poor marketing probably planned from a member of this open source community.
Since you seem intent on blaming the community and people here for what's going on, why not leave? Please, and take all the people who seem to insist that anyone who enjoys their phone is "delusional" or a "fanboy."

Everytime Linux tries to do something new to become mainstream its fanboys jump to it and take ownership and close its doors to any sort of evolution to become a mainstream-class OS.
So you ARE blaming the community, and the Linux community as a whole, for Nokia's actions. Thanks, you've completely missed the point.

We've seen several attempts in the past decade but the conclusion has always been always the same: The problem is not linux, it's the selfish attitude of some members of the community towards the general public.
We, the community, have NO RESPONSIBILITY for Nokia's actions. And no one in the community could stop anyone from making an attempt.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
h3llraz0r, are you saying prototypes and "developer [read: early adopter]" devices are equivalent?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Handbags at dawn!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
why Symbian, I think we can all agree the N8 would be much better off running Maemo/ MeeGo or whatever pet project Nokia concocts next why Symbian?
you lack ability to concentrate or have you totally missed:
-hardware?
-release price?

both would be something else if there was meego inside.... symbian kicks meego's *** with eyes closed and hands chained when not talking about top of the line HW.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Still waiting on PR1.2, portrait & other things that other phones still support out of the box.
well... depends what you mean with "portrait" but it could be that you'll have to wait until world ends with n900 "portrait"....

e: btw with portrait sms something should pop up atleast to extras-devel at Q3/2010
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
I think that akready as it is and with 35 per cent price of iphone or N900 it is already very good. Anyway, I think that as said oli pelka kalasvuo the UI is goint to be very improved before of going out.

The Following User Says Thank You to acano For This Useful Post:
The problem is not linux, it's the selfish attitude of some members of the community towards the general public.
If by general public, you mean people who start threads like this, then screw them. There are two things you need to keep in mind before you come crying here.

1. This isn't a Nokia website
2. The community doesn't owe you or anyone else anything

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to harp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTtsZATwBQ
Dude, no need to give us a link, the video came installed on the device.

Does this look like smartphone for the general public or are people too ******ED to know that it's a developper phone?
The latter, this phone is way too cool for the ******ed general public. It's for geeks that like to party, and occasionally call their mom's.

Everytime Linux tries to do something new to become mainstream its fanboys jump to it and take ownership and close its doors to any sort of evolution to become a mainstream-class OS. We've seen several attempts in the past decade but the conclusion has always been always the same: The problem is not linux, it's the selfish attitude of some members of the community towards the general public.
I'm sorry, but this paragraph is so poor that I'm forced to declare that you have Jumped the Shark.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Nokia build a wide range of phones. Most are targetted at a small sections of the market, frequently by way of hardware features as opposed to software. Nokia's profits are not built around top-end devices.

By comparison, other manufacturers build fewer phones and have more reliance on the top end as a result.

The epitome of that is the iphone - that had to be a success from the get-go. To make it close to perfect they had to simplfy it's features and hardware to the point where many now question its real value or purpose - you can argue that one out elsewhere...

N8 is Nokia's response to the changing market and to the changes within Nokia. It is not a response to iphone or Android OS's.

To date, Nokia do not have a truly all-conquering OS. That's why N8 competes in other areas: an advanced camera, ally bodyshell and social networking facilities. Because of Nokia's business model they only have to sell a relatively small number for it to be a success.

Timing is everything and with iphone 4(?) this summer Nokia can have a pop at apple via the N8. How will iphone's (rumoured) 5Mp camera look now? It's a good, old-fashioned pissing-up-the-wall contest and Nokia have won before iphone4 has undone it's fly.

To say that Nokia don't have a plan shows total ignorance. Nokia have acknowledged mistakes made in the recent past and have clearly mapped out their plans for the future. Do your own research.

The introduction of Qt will stimulate app development and make Ovi Store into what it should be. Symbian^3 and Maemo 5 are stepping stones on to truly appealing OS's that will take on anything else out there, but these things don't happen overnight...

N8 is not for me, but it will sell well. It will not appeal to those who demand a fluid and polished GUI experience, but will compete on it's own terms.

And that's what Beldar Conehead failed to understand...

Last edited by NokTokDaddy; 2010-04-29 at 06:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
And that's what Beldar Conehead failed to understand...
Yes Beldar Conehead brings up random facts to explain Nokia's success but fails to understand that the lack of support is not part of the N900's business plan especially when PR 1.2 was promised and still didn't come out.

Tags
bad mojo, h3ll100ser, ignorant thread, raised nothing, sigh, worst thread