Active Topics

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester, England
Where's our Steve Jobs to publicly announce the next 'big' Nokia device? Instead we get a leaked, crappy, unconfirmed Youtube video.

*Sigh*

The Following User Says Thank You to Livinmalife For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I understand your frustration and also see you've been struggling with the problem for quite some time. However, the time it takes to research and tinker on you own is enough for you take it to repair and back.

What I want to say is that that Nokia acknowledges the issue, they just denied the accusation regarding the design failure of N900. No matter it's a design failure on N900 or the charger, Nokia has taken the responsibility to repair.

I'm not going to stop you from soldering by yourself, but imho the time it takes to research and tinker is enough for you to take your N900 to repair and back.

Your choice.
I remember the very first N900 i repaired and it took me all of 5 minutes once dissasembled to check and repair which promted me to do a preventative repair to my own device that took me about 2 minutes and has been strong since. (it takes about 5 minutes to take the N900 apart and put it back together again and 2 minutes to get the paint off and solder the port properly to the board).

So yes far far quicker in any event to do it yourself but that does invalidate the warranty which is the reason i do not reccomend doing it yourself.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Because it is the only REAL fault the N900 has/had and a very costly one to Nokia.
If you know anything about design factors then any company worth their salt will either re-design or cut there losses and bring out a complete new design altogether.
As the N900 lost it's credibility very fast due to this problem is probably the reason.
Care to put some numbers of estimates on how widespread that USB problem is? Even to point it as the singular detracting point that's holding the N900 from worldwide smartphone super stardom

That looks like a well exaggerated argument to me. I wouldn't mind to hear some backup from your end about it.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-14 at 14:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Also, unlike what abill_uk has/is doing, taking it in for repairs does not void your warranty. Which, IMO, purposefully voiding your warranty, is a pretty idiotic thing to do.
Actually if it's a design fault it doesn't matter whether it's within warranty he can always take it for repair. This is the basic consumer right and I think it's applicable to where abill(uk?) live.

However, it'd look REALLY nasty if he took it to repair centre after he soldered it and failed, because by tempering the device the customer is waiving the vendor of any responsibility to their product's failure.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I remember the very first N900 i repaired and it took me all of 5 minutes once dissasembled to check and repair which promted me to do a preventative repair to my own device that took me about 2 minutes and has been strong since. (it takes about 5 minutes to take the N900 apart and put it back together again and 2 minutes to get the paint off and solder the port properly to the board).

So yes far far quicker in any event to do it yourself but that does invalidate the warranty which is the reason i do not reccomend doing it yourself.
If it's still under warrant the you can always take it back for repair without a fight.

Otherwise you can also take it back when the vendor admits the fault, like in Toyota's case.

Edit: typo as usual

Last edited by 9000; 2010-06-14 at 13:58.

Also, unlike what abill_uk has/is doing, taking it in for repairs does not void your warranty. Which, IMO, purposefully voiding your warranty, is a pretty idiotic thing to do.
If you dont attempt to repair yourself and take it into Nokia care then it will be repaired under warranty but do it yourself voids that in any event if design fault or not.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Anyhow, despite the issue with a few N900's having USB port dettatchment issues. What is this thread actually supposed to be about. The title is rather, well, undescriptive. Is it an attempt to catch users that might think the N9 (a phone that doesn't even exist) as replacement for the N900. Or is it supposed to make people more assured that the N900 will be just as capable as the N(9) when that eventually gets announced and released, thus, dissuading people from the upgrade?

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Anyhow, despite the issue with a few N900's having USB port dettatchment issues. What is this thread actually supposed to be about. The title is rather, well, undescriptive. Is it an attempt to catch users that might think the N9 (a phone that doesn't even exist) as replacement for the N900. Or is it supposed to make people more assured that the N900 will be just as capable as the N(9) when that eventually gets announced and released, thus, dissuading people from the upgrade?
TO bring some faith back on track for the N900 that many of us paid a LOT of money for and let people realise the N900 is completely programmable so should be capable of any os, making the N900 unique in it's own right. (still need's Nokia to give us the upgrade complete with the closed drivers).

So if the N9 is a replacement or is just false information on the internet, then whatever will replace the N900 does not leave our device in the dark unsupported.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-06-14 at 14:26.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
TO bring some faith back on track for the N900 that many of us paid a LOT of money for and let people realise the N900 is completely programmable so should be capable of any os, making the N900 unique in it's own right.

So if the N9 is a replacement or is just false information on the internet, then whatever will replace the N900 does not leave our device in the dark unsupported.
Like it was mentioned earlier, the next device coming from Nokia which will be running MeeGo/Harmattan whether it's N(9) or not is not a replacement. It's a successor. Which is slightly different.

Anyhow, yes, mostly all of us paid a fair buck for this device (N900) some are dissappointed, what that has to do with the next device well, that doesn't seem to be a worth while discussion here.

If you're trying to say the N900 isn't and wont be obsolete, fair enough, I think most of us know what the N900 is capable of right now. I'm still unsure what you're trying to discuss here.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I read from the news Nokia responded to media the USB hulk detachmant is the result of faulty USB port of the charger. Granted the charger is also made by Nokia, but you can always send them back for the repairment of the N900 and the replacement of charger. Newer batchs of N900 has already fixed this issue.
Not true at all. My charger stopped working and the blackberry chargers (which also charge the N900) stopped working. So the problem was on the N900 end not the charger cause the chargers were all charging my wife's blackberry. At the time my N900 was charging with PC though although not from charger.

I sent my N900 of for repairs. They sent it back without fixing it claiming it was moisture damage which is not covered by warranty. Liars!!!

Worst still when they sent it back it is now not even connecting to PC. So I have to use an external charger and can only connect to PC via wifi using OpenSSH. No idea what I am going to do when I need to flash the device cause presumably you can't flash over wifi.

12 years biggest Nokia fanboy but after this faulty usb issue and Nokia looking for an excuse to get away from fixing their fault I doubt I will be getting a Nokia again even though I have never had a phone which is not Nokia. Wish HTC would release a device with hardware keyboard and internal memory.