Active Topics

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What is a "ppl"?
ppl = people

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
As a mobile computer you will not get anything better than the n900. It is still the most powerful and best even though it has one year on it's neck. But you need to learn it. If you plan to dual.. then get the best phone out there, with plenty of battery life and not another smartphone.

If you want another smartphone.. then wait a little bit, like a few month, and get the best one. If Maemo wasn't for you then maybe Android is the way to go.

Edit: Ohh.. and put down how you use the n900. What you do most on it. The smartphone you will buy needs to do that and also be better at it.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-08-14 at 21:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
You really need to list what problems you have with the N900 so one can help you.

If you are adventurous then try NITdroid and other things like overclocking etc makes this device one of the best out there.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Why would you buy something and not do your homework first?

What was the question?

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
As a mobile computer you will not get anything better than the n900. It is still the most powerful and best even though it has one year on it's neck. But you need to learn it. If you plan to dual.. then get the best phone out there, with plenty of battery life and not another smartphone.

If you want another smartphone.. then wait a little bit, like a few month, and get the best one. If Maemo wasn't for you then maybe Android is the way to go.

Edit: Ohh.. and put down how you use the n900. What you do most on it. The smartphone you will buy needs to do that and also be better at it.
well i do everything, from checking, answer and write e-mails to listen music, watch video, browse the web, facebook, twitter, take pictures, txting and calling (obviously), gps, download and watch youtube, download torrents, i use it as tv remote right now since i cant find my remote lol, as a storage device, schedule control (or i panic lol), reminder of "to do" lists i have, edit office documents, i wanna read ebooks but i have a kindle that im giving away as soon some one create a kindle for maemo , and i haven't found a good e-book webiste, so i havent try the apps, i play sometimes w it, but not very often, i use it as the radio w the fm transmitter, i listen radio when im out and i want to know abt a game or news, i use it, instead my mac to play my keynotes (powerpoint format) in the proyector at work (very good at this), wow i dont remember im pretty sure i use it for more things.... so yes i do use the phone A LOT!!! lol

Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
You really need to list what problems you have with the N900 so one can help you.

If you are adventurous then try NITdroid and other things like overclocking etc makes this device one of the best out there.
ok im gonna list some of the issues ok

listening music: the songs stops for like 1/2 second or get stuck for like 1 or 2 seconds repeating the same piece.

watch videos: gets stuck like if i press pause, and then when i works again skips like 5 mins. (depends on the time that was stuck) is really bad in this area.

txting and calling: texting awesome but my nightmare is calling, or taking calls, that is most likely what sux the most, i think is an issue w the proximity sensor or something like that, the phone start rotating the screen in portrait and landscape mode and wont let me press or just goes blank screen or something weird so i have to wait till it rings like 3 or 4 seconds, to me that SUX!!!! way to much! when i overlcocked it went better from 7-8 seconds to 3-4 seconds

overall the phone goes really slow i have to restart it, sometimes it helps some others it doesnt, trying to multitask the screen gets stuck, if im using data trough the phone line it gets stuck, it's really dificult to work on it, the phone i use it only in the morning and the night because i cant use the phone at work (cant answer calls or txt), so lets say i use the phone 6-8 hours daily, in that time the phone stucks like 4 or 6 times daily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CYPHERC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
ppl = people
OK, now how to you pronounce 'ppl' in a sentence?

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
Get an e71(cheap, great battery life) and install joikuspot on it. That way you can keep the sim in the e71 and tether it to your n900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tenkom For This Useful Post:
I went to see the SonyEricsson X10 mini Pro, WOW i was LMAO in the store that phone is so freaken little, that is like a freaken toy... lol i cant imagine someone browsing on that screen lol

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
CYPHERC:

Have you tried turning auto-rotate on the phone settings to OFF?

Once I did this my problems with answering calls virtually disappeared. I still occasionally have a problem accepting calls if I am typing or scrolling at the time but otherwise my phone works fine. I have installed Phone Speakers Switch which gives the prox. sensor a good workout and usually dial out via K9 Call.

As for your Media Player and other problems all I can suggest is a careful re-flash of the FW (both images). It took a couple of goes on mine to get a clean install.

My music player occasionally stutters when first playing but very soon settles down. when playing videos I occasionally get a stutter or a jump but this is so rare it is not a problem.

You may have issues relating to apps you have downloaded - I have experienced problems with some early releases. It's a pain but the only thing to do is reflash and individually download apps so you can monitor performance and anomalies/bugs. I found Conboy very useful for keeping a log on this.

The only multitasking and/or slow-running problems I have seem to relate to Bluetooth use - I'm still working on that, but it is only a minor irritation.

I am not a developer or have any programming insight to offer. I am a 'technologist' in the sense that I cannot tell you how electricity works, but I know how to change a lightbulb!

Good luck sorting your N900. I hope you get it to the stable, useable state that I enjoy on mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Great post there CYPHERC. And it realy makes me understand your agony. NokTokDaddy said some good stuff.

To overclock is a delicate matter. If you have set the voltage too low the camera and video player will work bad. If you put it to high the battery will last no more than 30 min. If i where you i would try to understand everything there is about overclocking.. to become an expert on the matter. And maybe try learning the terminal if you haven't.. much can be done more effectively through the terminal.

Reflash and be very careful of what you install. A single faulty program can make the overall feel shitty.

I use symfonie for audio books.. Very good on that. It remembers where i was last time i quit the program. So instead of reading.. listening some books

Tags
sinking-ship, vote-with-$$$, whining, who cares?