Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
yes, those are all attacks and twisting words
challenge != attack.

question != attack.

Real attacks will be moderated. So let's not have any.

Anyway, many in this community have done a great deal for the N900 and other devices... so the reason behind this thread is puzzling.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Before anything else...

Personally, I prefer bluntness above sweettalk just to avoid conflict, being crass above diplomatic when things need to get done and certain parts below the waist need to be kicked. Call it FUD, call it whatever you want, but at least people know where abill_uk stands. If I would feel that Nokia should be praised for what it's done, I'd disagree with abill_uk and just tell him that.

However;

As for the people stating it's nothing but FUD; Blame that on Nokia's poor, poor communication, not the community here. Or is there anyone here that would be willing to defend the statement that Nokia has done everything possible for it's N900 customers? If not, please allow people a different opinion than yours.

The way I read this post (Yes, you may call me naïve) this bloke here raises some legit questions about the future of a machine most of us really love. I do for sure and I find it hard to believe that someone who claims to own 5 of those machines would feel any differently.

So, you're not interested in rewiring schemes that abill_uk made up? Me neither, but guess what? Why would I tell him that? Others might be interested.

The legit question remains: What to do when Nokia fully stops support for this device? Will it die immediatly after that? Will the community be able to keep it alive? I don't know. But what I do know is this: For the first time in my life I have an interest in developing for mobile platforms. Basically because I have the coolest device at hand that is available on the market. I do not have any interest so far in Meego. I like Maemo, with it's flaws and only if there is no other way than to go Meego, I will do so. I have full confidence that if (and only if) people are sticking to their machines, a community driven device must be the consequence, as I have absolutely no, ahum, no confidence that such a drive will come from Nokia's side.

So, this discussion has been done over and over again? Could the people that state that, and state in the same breath that this is a useless discussion, please post the outcomes of these discussions? Yes, I've seen many threads raising these same questions as asked by the OP, but where are the answers?

PR1.2 is there, PR1.3 is unsure but Meego is as certain as it could possibly be. This is a good moment to press for answers...

/€ 0.02

Last edited by anthonie; 2010-08-15 at 17:27.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
So, this discussion has been done over and over again? Could the people that state that, and state in the same breath that this is a useless discussion, please post the outcomes of these discussions?
The outcome is usually a closed thread.

Candor and bluntness are great. Even better is when they're tempered by reason. Ranting, on the other hand, quickly wears thin.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
take no notice what abill says hes full of dreams he once claimed he was a software engineer who reverse engineered leaked maemo PR 1.2 in 2 hours

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The outcome is usually a closed thread.

Candor and bluntness are great. Even better is when they're tempered by reason. Ranting, on the other hand, quickly wears thin.
Looks to me like you fully understood and appreciated my point, Texrat...

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
take no notice what abill says hes full of dreams he once claimed he was a software engineer who reverse engineered leaked maemo PR 1.2 in 2 hours
Perhaps you're willing to share how this statement of yours would dismiss the legitimate questions asked by OP, as I fail to see your argumentation?

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Perhaps you're willing to share how this statement of yours would dismiss the legitimate questions asked by OP, as I fail to see your argumentation?
i'm not here to debunk his questions
i just thought i'd share what past claims hes made what turned out to BS with regard to his new USB OTG and host mode hack claims

Well. I don't know about those past claims made and how much of it turned out to be BS. I have been here too short a while to be able to pass judgement on that. Possibly that is the case, though. And anyone doing so, deserves a bit of good old verbal spanking, I agree with that.

But like I said, in my view it does not take away the validity of the questions asked. I think most of us here are intelligent people. As such it is important to keep the arguments we have as clean and neutral as possible. Smart thinking is what brought us the device and what will be able to keep it alive.

If you want to do something cool, sell two of your n900s and buy two Motorola Droids. Then figure out how to get the Droid's magnetometer working in an n900. With open source, battery sipping drivers of course.

Well. I don't know about those past claims made and how much of it turned out to be BS. I have been here too short a while to be able to pass judgement on that. Possibly that is the case, though. And anyone doing so, deserves a bit of good old verbal spanking, I agree with that.

But like I said, in my view it does not take away the validity of the questions asked. I think most of us here are intelligent people. As such it is important to keep the arguments we have as clean and neutral as possible. Smart thinking is what brought us the device and what will be able to keep it alive.
It's very difficult, and usually unreasonable, to ignore the context of the past. Something for new members here to take into consideration: every community has a history. Irritation such as you're seeing just doesn't erupt in a vacuum.

Specific to this thread, the valid point was raised: who is "community", and who is "us"? That's important for the OP to answer, since the general explanation is that they are the same.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
from this page http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900 I can conclude that meego is coming to the n900(there is a team from nokia and Linux Foundation). can't I?
If meego is indeed coming to the n900, will it be fully adjusted to the n900? will it have graphics acceleration for example .
Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to pingu For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
blablabla bla, check offenders, community v us, lost dummy, reggie please, show-me-proof, shutupabillpls, wheres-reggie