Active Topics

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Have you been thinkering on this anymore? I could test it if you get something up.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Nah, I'm currently focused on BackupMenu V2

But, there is one thing you can do for me: I need a way to -- as root -- launch an osso-xterm window with a specific shell script in it on startup.
On a desktop, I'd use cron to launch it, and konsole/gnome-terminal in place of osso-xterm.
Any ideas?

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-10-19 at 05:27.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Nah, I'm currently focused on BackupMenu V2

But, there is one thing you can do for me: I need a way to -- as root -- launch an osso-xterm window with a specific shell script in it on startup.
On a desktop, I'd use cron to launch it, and konsole/gnome-terminal in place of osso-xterm.
Any ideas?
hmm.. wouldn't it just be to make a file in "/etc/event.d/", name it like "xterm-launch" and put something like this in it.

Code:
start on started hildon-desktop
script
     osso-xterm /usr/bin/top
end script
Not sure if it was this you where looking for.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

I haven't tested it, but it looks good to me - Provided the command(in your example, /usr/bin/top, correct?) has root privs.

I haven't tested it, but it looks good to me - Provided the command(in your example, /usr/bin/top, correct?) has root privs.
Ohh.. forgot about the root privs.. /usr/bin/top is just the program top. So if you do like that it will start top on startup. It should work as good as an *.sh script.

I am not sure how you plan to apply it but during the installation you could make the file "chown root:root" and "chmod 755" the file that goes in "/usr/sbin/".

i funny note to this.. when i tried if the above worked i accidentally deleted /etc/init.d/rcS.. luckilly i am doing backups of /etc/* too so i just ssh:ed into my computer and downloaded the backup.

Hm.. not sure what you mean, and I guess I wasn't clear enough with what I wanted.
I need to run an arbitrary application/script(it shouldn't matter either way), with root privledges. Mainly because I need to run kernel-config, and that requires root to mess with.
I know what /usr/bin/top is, I was just verifying that that is where the script/application path goes in your example.

Hm.. not sure what you mean, and I guess I wasn't clear enough with what I wanted.
I need to run an arbitrary application/script(it shouldn't matter either way), with root privledges. Mainly because I need to run kernel-config, and that requires root to mess with.
I know what /usr/bin/top is, I was just verifying that that is where the script/application path goes in your example.
Just change it to "/usr/sbin/kernel-config" instead of "kernel-config".. kernel-config have a sudoers file so you won't need to be root using it.

I have Alarmed doing this for me... during night at 01.00 i let it run "/usr/sbin/kernel-config load night".