Active Topics

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I'm going to put dmesg logging into the script.
syslog will have those, I think, when you have syslogd package installed.
An example from grep SGX /var/log/syslog
Code:
Dec 14 09:41:32 Nokia-N900 kernel: [68078.694793] HWRecoveryResetSGX: SGX Hardware Recovery triggered
Maybe edit /etc/syslog.conf to include kernel messages to kern.log

Last edited by zimon; 2011-01-06 at 02:22.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
After reboot I cannot see the SGX errors in the log. The oldest lines are about the last reboot.
Correct, dmesg does not keep information across a reboot. I was suggesting adding a dump feature to the script to dump the logs before the reboot. That's a nice part about it being a script. Just about anything you can type on the command line can be added to the script and run as expected.

I
Does dmesg >> output.txt overwrite output.txt or add new lines to it?
Using a single > overwrites, double > appends, so the above example would append to the output log. If you want to filter out a specific item, you can use grep in-line via pipes. For example to filter out "kb_lock", the line would look as follows:
Code:
dmesg | grep -v "kb_lock" >> output.txt
Personally, I'd say it's better to dump the whole dmesg log and filter it later if need be. If you filter it on the fly you may accidentally filter out something key in finding a pattern. (Eg if I had filtered SMS message arrival notices from mine I would have missed that an in-bound SMS happened just before each lockup in my case...)