Active Topics

I don't think the stock is falling because stockholders disapprove of what Nokia has done. I think it is falling because it is obvious that Nokia is in terrible shape and there is no real solution.
Well the question is, is it in such a terrible shape that they have to stop pursuing their own OS (meego) just before its finished and adopt WP7?

I honestly doubt it. For some reason nokia execs don't trust meego, open source, Qt. Or why have they always treated meego like their stepchild while Palm and Google have made great platforms on the basis of linux?

Its a travesty.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't think the stock is falling because stockholders disapprove of what Nokia has done. I think it is falling because it is obvious that Nokia is in terrible shape and there is no real solution.
This Register article explains well why stock went down 15%. Nokia's 15-year tango to avoid Microsoft

"Windows Mobile licensees scrape by on profit margins of less than 10 per cent, and possibly closer to 5 per cent. Nokia's own devices command over 30 per cent margin."

and

"Elop's proposition is that Nokia will claw back some of the margin it will lose in the services layer. This was met with some skepticism, bordering on derision, in the analyst briefings today."

As I have allready wrote in another thread today, Nokia is now just a logo. Nothing more. It used to a be creator of things and technologies. After today it just packages ready products. From profit and investments perspective there's a world of difference between those two.

Profit in Microsoft ecosystems is allways in software, not hardware. Nokia is doomed to razor thin profit margins. Long term investors are running to the hills and not looking back.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Elop is a coward. Instead of fixing what wrong, he cops out, disses the company and it's employees in a memo then throws them on a burning platform.

Nokia was going down slowly. There was time to fix things. He just accelerated their death.

The E7 that just launched won't sell. None of the Symbian phones coming out this year will sell. It's over.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Well if you think Symbian / Meego and Nokia are worth saving and WP7 is appalling (Elop too), perhaps you should consider buying those products and undermining anything to do with WP7.

This doesn't have to be the end of the line. Especially judging by the way the markets have received this unholy alliance. A stop just needs to be put to it firmly and quickly.

Re: Meego & Intel. They're pushing Atom and Moorestown, both of which are absolutely useless when compared to the new ARM A9 / A15 or even AMD APUs. If Nokia are out, don't expect any continued development of the RISC (ARM) branch.

Last edited by supportnokia; 2011-02-11 at 21:44.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Intel is pusing medfield, and maybe we shouldn't guess on the performance just yet!
I'm sure many people here ARE sticking with MeeGo, just not necessarily Nokia. I'm fine with buying an Intel, aava or st-ericsson phone.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-02-11 at 21:48.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Give me $1000 and I'll buy any WP7 handset you want.
Perfect, I have this $1500 WP7 phone for you...

Same thing, different name.

x86 will never compete on a performance per watt level with ARM's various architectures. Within a few years I doubt if they'll be competitive even at the high end of the consumer segment of PCs, barring ultra-expensive stuff.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Don't spread your ignorant opinion of future mobile cpu developments as "fact".
Intel has better technology, compilers, more money, they will catch up if they want to. There's nothing preventing them learning from ARM. x86 is not so crippling, the programs running on phones keep getting more complex, I'd argue that ARM has bad memory bandwidth and is crippled in its own ways.

Respectfully, I totally disagree. Memory bandwidth will be an issue if not addressed, but why would they have huge memory bandwidth on devices up until now? In the market segments they were in, there would be no need. x86 is a bloated, inefficient dog's dinner.

Intel's lead in lithography is very significant, but that has little to do with x86 itself.

Anyway, that's not the point of the thread.

Tags
failed