Active Topics

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by robbh66 View Post
Over on this page in the wiki I found this little gem:
Applications listed on these page are maemo 3.0 compatible and usable for Internet tablet OS Edition 2007 installed devices.
These applications MAY NOT WORK on devices with Internet Tablet 2006 Edition.
For OS 2006 compatible applications please see ApplicationCatalog2006.

Many of the applications listed here can be installed from one of the repositories listed in ApplicationRepositories. That is often a better way of installing applications, for the following reasons: you will get up-to-date versions (and the system will be able to check for updates), and you will not have to track dependencies manually.

Before adding warnings such as ...about 20 minutes after installing this software my N770 started to make crackle sounds and a few minutes latter it smell of smoke... on this page, please discuss your issue with the software's author, maintainer, porter, provider, or at least on the maemo mailing lists, http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-users/ or http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/. Or report a bug in https://maemo.org/bugzilla/.
Was this a one time deal? Can a guru comment?

What do you mean?
The apps for N800 "OS2007" are not backwards compatible with the 770 "OS2006" unless you install the OS2007 Hacker edition for the 770.

Sorry SeRi@lDiE, that was somewhat of a stupid question. I'm in a little bit of information overload as I've absorbed a vast amount in the last 12 hours.

I know what you mean, Robbh66...I ordered the tablet from buy.com today after missing it on Woot and hearing that a friend had gotten it. After my google checkout discount and free shipping i actually got it for $5 less...hehe.

I started doing research into this thing and I'm still blown away by everything it can do in addition to just the default features, which in and of themselves are sweet. I can't wait to be able to browse from anywhere around campus, let alone the possibility of playing some DOOM multi during boring lecture sessions...I'm all giddy waiting for the package to get here, and I'll admit, I wish I had gotten it shipped overnight...

I'm already anticipating the shock/envy/awe/curiosity this gadget will spark when I start pulling it out at random...this little guy will be really handy for a lot of stuff, whether it's finding movie times without an annoying trip back to the dorm room or looking up the dining hall menu on the fly, it's sure to get some attention.

Sure, call me a tech whore, but I'm jazzed. Sure, I'm 18 months late on this train, but it's still got me giddy like a school girl.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Last edited by Slakker; 2007-06-28 at 07:08.

If you are referring to the "crackling sounds" and "smoke" references, that is pure exaggeration on the part of the writer. Many people write something similar as a disclaimer around instructions that can result in software/hardware damage if used _incorrectly_.

big update

THANKS for this thread. I am in need of help, above and beyond this, unfortunately.

Can anyone help?

I want to pair this with my Treo 700wx, specifically to use the Treo as my internet connection for when I'm on the road. So far I'm just frustrated. I have enabled Bluetooth on my phone, and made it discoverable. The 770 finds the phone fine, I select it for pairing. The Treo then prompts me to enter the pass code. Once that's done, the 770 first shows the status "Pairing", but then, instead of finishing the connection, gives me the message "Selected phone does not have services that can be used. Select another phone."

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? And yes, my plan includes a data package. Specifically I have unlimited data via "PowerVision" through Sprint.

Hi. Like a lot of people posting on this forum this weekend, my n770 came in yesterday from woot. I have to say, this device is truly amazing.

I was able to install OS 2007 HE on it without a lot of problems. Was able to get a terminal and install the ssh server, so tinkering with it becomes easy as I can do it now from my mac.

I have a few things that I would like to fix. It would be great if someone could just provide simple steps on how to do it.

1) The media player refuses to play anything but internet streams (i found a fix to the problem of internet radio not playing). When I try to play video/audio, it says 'media codec not supported'. Can anyone provide a workaround to this ?

I went through http://maemo.org/community/wiki/Os2007On770 and tried to do what is suggested under 'Multimedia and plugins'. How do you 'Remove N800 version and make a symlink' ? I saw that all files had so.0.0 or so.0.0.0. The second command, when run, returned $OLD/usr/lib/libgstdsp{audio,video}* could not be found. Then i downloaded the suggested patch and try to run that, nothing happened.

There must be an easier way to play audio/video on the Hacker Edition right ?

2) I want to use my bluetooth headset for my internet calls. Installed gizmo, and it works like a charm. Now I want to use my headset to make the calls.

3) I was trying to patch the dsp thing specified on the same wiki page as above, but i think i accidentally deleted $OLD/lib/dsp . any ideas on where i can get the file ?

I'm sure i'll have more questions later when I play with the device more, but for now, those are the things i want to do on it ASAP.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by nepali_boi View Post
1)

There must be an easier way to play audio/video on the Hacker Edition right ?
Not really

2) I want to use my bluetooth headset for my internet calls. Installed gizmo, and it works like a charm. Now I want to use my headset to make the calls.
Fairly high priority feature, but not available yet.

3) I was trying to patch the dsp thing specified on the same wiki page as above, but i think i accidentally deleted $OLD/lib/dsp . any ideas on where i can get the file ?
Probably easiest to backup and reflash, honestly.

I don't recommend OS2007HE for a few reasons to new 770 users. I'd try out OS2006 first, get a feel for the device, and then take the plunge.

Originally Posted by LookingForward View Post
THANKS for this thread. I am in need of help, above and beyond this, unfortunately.

Can anyone help?

I want to pair this with my Treo 700wx, specifically to use the Treo as my internet connection for when I'm on the road. So far I'm just frustrated. I have enabled Bluetooth on my phone, and made it discoverable. The 770 finds the phone fine, I select it for pairing. The Treo then prompts me to enter the pass code. Once that's done, the 770 first shows the status "Pairing", but then, instead of finishing the connection, gives me the message "Selected phone does not have services that can be used. Select another phone."

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? And yes, my plan includes a data package. Specifically I have unlimited data via "PowerVision" through Sprint.

From the FAQ:
  • What do I do if the answer I was looking for isn't here?
    Search the Forum first!.

Originally Posted by Jeffus View Post
<snip>
Here's a method to get USB devices to work on the 770 for the less-technically inclined, including everything you need to purchase. No soldering or regulators necessary! Feedback would be great!
That actually won't work, unless the CyberPower hub is a different version than I have (and it appears to be the same). The end shown does not output power at all without modification. Additionally, the client ports do not output power unless power is recieved from the host port (to keep the batteries from draining when it isn't plugged into a PC). I have one for my Toshiba e350 PDA.

I got in on the buy.com deal today. Definately glad to see this thread, being a newbie when everyone else are old pros for the most part. I'm considering doing hardware mods to mine, adding better gaming controls if I can find good console emulators for this.