Active Topics

Poll: Would You miss the Council if it was gone?
Poll Options
Would You miss the Council if it was gone?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
Well, as a community - where do we want the discussion to be once a usable MeeGo is available for the N900?
I would assume once MeeGo is to a working, mostly user-friendly-ish, stable state on the N900.. discussions regarding it would largely be placed over at Meego.com.

I have nothing against, T.M.O, obviously.. but this is about Maemo.. not MeeGo. MeeGo discussions should happen at MeeGo.

However, there's a bit of a gray area, as it was already determined (mostly) that they don't really want "Device Specific" problems over at MeeGo.com.. and would prefer instead to discuss only things MeeGo-Generic related.

I see this as being very confusing once we get to a deployed, usable state...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I see this as being very confusing once we get to a deployed, usable state...
Depends how the marketing is done I think. It's a different approach to maemo.org, sure, but I don't think it's entirely without merit. Remains to be seen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Depends how the marketing is done I think. It's a different approach to maemo.org, sure, but I don't think it's entirely without merit. Remains to be seen.
Yeah I just see a lot of Ping Ponging though. I see a lot of people opening discussions over at MeeGo.com and it being determined that it's an N900 issue, and so gets sent back here to Maemo.org (at least, I would guess this would the N900 support forum..)..

And similarly.. I see people using the n900 opening threads here regarding generic MeeGo problems.. and not getting answers as quickly.

Granted... a good half of the people at MeeGo.com are the same people here at Maemo.org but over time I suspect people will pick one or the other.. and also we lose all of the intel expertise here that's on MeeGo.com to answering some questions.

So yeah.. as you said: Definitely remains to be seen how this goes. Should be interesting, to say the least.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I think the problem here is that people consider the Council to be some sort of Trade Union and that if they don't get results they should be out. The reality is that they help in running this forum, relay information from higher up and deliver feedback from us as users. I think they do this having been a member/lurker here since 2007. If they were an absolutely quiet entity then I would agree with the statement.

What we need more of are direct software and hardware Nokia n900 developers to engage this forum and help to drive the device evolution from the inside. Or open up the closed components. QT cross platform apps should make people a little happier too when they arrive. Some symbian compatibility could have been given from the start (its open source and i8910 runs on this CPU) instead of this joke of an app store.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
What does it mean N900 as a dev platform? Nokia wants an app-store-like ovi store, where they can make money and attract to developers. For every developer that likes coding for fun there are 100 that want to do it for money.

As for maemo, we will see how good it is.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Not by any forced, "we're copying the user database over now" way, no. If members of the maemo.org community move to the community growing over at MeeGo.com, then that shall happen by each individual's choice.
An important note is that currently the two communities are fairly disparate, so even that is not so easy (as in, you've probably got equal motivation to migrate to XDA developers as to meego.com). I do think the current MeeGo community office/leaders, even if they care, are not entirely sure what to do with maemo.org - expect no MeeGo suggestion as to what will happen to this community. Realizing this, there are currently a few projects/initiatives put into motion that would help build bridges to the (still forming and pretty raw) MeeGo community, so at least maemo.org folks get familiar with how things work in MeeGo land and offer at least SOME extra life for N8x0/N900 owners. These initiatives are still in their infancy, but as soon as MeeGo folks embrace these, rest assured you'll hear about them.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I spoke very simply in the moment. So far you're the only one in the conversation here to assume the worst of it that I can see.

What I was talking about was the possibility. Yes, this should have been one of if not the most important term(s), but there were so many unknowns that any statement I made along those lines was more of hope and intent than anything else. I didn't say that to mislead anyone and I'm not changing my outlook in hindsight now. It's just that the reality did not match the hope, and I made it clear at the time that it was a possibility.

So please, YoDude: separate hope/intent from outcome.
You didn't make the original statement about the importance of this term. qgil did! You echoed it and if I remember correctly from reading the mailing list archives, may have even prompted Quims participation in that forum thread because of the lack of candidates declaring...

(BTW to all: contacting and requesting Nokia reps responces in forum threads is another one of those things council members do that isn't seen by members who only use our forum. )

The statement you did post in this very thread was:

Originally Posted by You View Post

...The current five ran knowing well we were entering into a likely lame duck situation. None of us were naive. We saw the Maemo sunset like anyone else. We just wanted to do our damndest, to at least TRY-- rather than simply squatting at a keyboard typing out epithets, gripes and invalid assessments of anyone's efforts...
Originally Posted by You again View Post
... So far you're the only one in the conversation here to assume the worst of it that I can see... .
No assumption of the worse there dude, Just a direct response on my part to a direct statement on your part as all that^ was news to me.

After re-reading the threads that I did end up linking to to provide clarity in my original post, "Lame Duck" was never mentioned.

To avoid the "round and round" you have complained about in the past, here are some tips you might like to try:

1. Respond to the expressed concern.
Unless you ran a poll, don't assume that the concerns are not shared by others. Even so, not everyone who responded in this thread for instance ran for council.

2. The results of a poll have zero value in determining the relative merits of the question asked.
(This also applies to things like voter turn-out vs. the quality of the candidates or purpose of an election. The number of thanks a post receives vs. the quality of the information a post contains is BS too, IMHO. )

3. Responding to posts based on the amount of thanks that they did or did not receive is disingenuous at best. If dismissing ideas or opinions because they are unpopular at the time is the norm, we all would be still wiping our butt's with the same hand we eat with.

And finally:

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
...So please, YoDude: separate hope/intent from outcome.
Hope and intent for me has always been a major influence in determining the direction of my future... especially when I desire a positive outcome.

Without it, we can only perform to the level that people expect from us and never higher.

Perhaps hope and intent has had some influence with where we are now in this regard.

Lets just move on and perhaps agree that the responses in this thread do not put any value on the question asked in this poll.

BTW, I like ice cream!!! If anyone agrees with me, please hit the thanks button.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-08-12 at 17:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
a) Out of pure curiosity - how much did the Council know about the switch to MeeGo prior to the day it was announced?
It was explained somewhere in this forum after the launch. Basically we disclosed the information to one member of the Council (Valério) a week before. He was the only individual not tied to a company or the Linux Foundation that was notified officially. Some weeks after, the Maemo Community Council was highlighted at http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/...port-broadens/ & http://www.linuxfoundation.org/node/6144

There are many posts about opening software components that are quite interesting. Maybe a moderator wants to move them to Introducing the licensing change requests queue, where this same discussion is happening right now.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
YoDude, the key word you're deliberately overlooking (just to pick a fight) is "likely". You're making a big deal out of nothing as a consequence.

If you just want to fight, please take it to PM instead of subjecting everyone here to it.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
* My view is that any major undertakings regarding OS should be done through the MeeGo project framework. No use beating what is essentially yesterday's platform.
It's a free world Carsten, let people do what they want to do where they want to do it.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
And this goes for the N8x0 work too. At least people like smoku try to do the right thing and rebase hildon-desktop on top of MeeGo and help bring libhildon to a nice state in MeeGo.
Actually, I sent smoku a PM indicating my support for his work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
community, council, maemo.org