Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Well now, I'm glad I happened to find time to swing by this forum again now, of all times. As always, I feel particularly bad whenever I am unable to focus on this forum/community.
Don't worry, even if you wouldn't manage to notice it on your own, I planned to ping you about progress, after posting photos with kickstand and camera cover. No way you could miss it, i know first hand how much you're interested about the project

One thing I've been meaning to mention, somewhere in a thread I read you mention a few months back how you were thinking that it might end up being the case that you could not use the wifi at the same time as the 3G, and vice-versa.
?! Either you're wrong on this one, or I used some really poorly phrased sentence. No, it was never considered, not to mention that I'm unsure how such thing would be even possible (unless done on purpose, via some hardware switch to antenna, as artificially introduced limitation). I was afraid that it might be impossible to get all radios on acceptable (=no worse, possibly better) performance, while using whole aluminum body, and that emergency measure, in case everything else fails, could be to use some really good quality (probably exotic) wood.

Anyway, fear not, I would never allow myself to introduce such thing, the purpose of repl. body project is to increase N900/Neo900 potential, not hinder it in any way (except for weight, for sure it will weight a little more with alu body)

(And am glad to hear people injected more funds. If I could have I totally would have donated more as well.)
Now, I don't think how to even comment on that you're single biggest donor up to date, and without your early support for the project, it would take <insert sadly high number here> more time to get into this state. Of course, I appreciate all donations and support - only combined effort of community supporters made this possible, period. But unless you win on some high-pool lottery, you're officially banned from donating more :d

Seriously though, again, huge thanks. I'll make sure to not disappoint.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Estel, if there is a possibility of going all Vertu with a metal case is there any possibility of also changing the glass inside the digitizer for Sapphire. I have a watch with a sapphire crystal and it just doesn't break, watch wacked repeatedly against a cast iron stove, nothing, not even a mark. Unfortunately the scratch resistance would be below the surface.
Al or Ti case, Al2O3 screen, and a Neo900 board would be the most insane phone ever considered.
If the plan is to mill would graphite/epoxy be possible for RF?
Also if graphite is possible a slight depression could be added for inductive charging inside the door.

Last edited by biketool; 2013-09-11 at 13:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
btw, is there a difference in effort required to cut the flat vs curved back cover? if so, does it affect the price? i personally prefer the curved one. kudos estel! u r one dedicated guy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
is there any possibility of also changing the glass inside the digitizer for Sapphire.
For all intents and purposes, changing anything inside digitizer isn't possible. BTW, I'm not even touching screen module.

Originally Posted by biketool View Post
If the plan is to mill would graphite/epoxy be possible for RF?
Elaborate more, please? You mean swaping alu for epoxy? That wouldn't look very good...

Originally Posted by droll View Post
btw, is there a difference in effort required to cut the flat vs curved back cover? if so, does it affect the price? i personally prefer the curved one.
It rather affect sturdiness of kickstand - I'll explain it in detail after presenting some photos, as mentioned.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Estel, show us that creation of yours, please, pretty please!

Now worries, I still plan to show sme photos with kickstand in action, this week (although, think about weekend, than tomorrow ). Still tweaking mechanism.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Would you be willing to sell some that look like the one posted earlier. I like the look of the cnc cut marks. It gives it an industrial look that appeals to me. Between this and the Neo900 project I could be a happy camper for a long time.

The Following User Says Thank You to c12mech For This Useful Post:
Sure, just remember that anodizing prevent oxidization for long term. without it, after some time of usage (especially considering "wet" environment of palms, skin oils, etc) alu would got oxidized.

Not that it's catastrophic - it's not rust, after all, oxidized alu is quite strong and look interesting. Although, it wouldn't be oxidized uniformly, so with time it could get more Fallout-like look with different colors at different parts. So, deciding on lack of anodizing for your personal copy should be done with full picture in mind (not that Fallout-like look must be a bad thing ).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thanks Estel. That sounds just about perfect. I like the Fallout look. I use the it for hacking and pentesting so it is a tool that does not have to be pretty. I don't care for the polished and perfect kind of stuff. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your work on this as well.

Awesome! Just Awesome!
Great News Estel

It seems, that the long pre-order-waiting is more than it worth.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Now, I have a question to all interested people, both per-supporters and folks waiting with order to release date:
Apart from thickness - that will be reduced at final - what type of visual-finish for edges would you prefer? Curved/cut at angle, like in this project:
...or flat one, like in photo (just thinner, polished, anodized, etc)?
I would personally prefer the flat one, like in the photo.

The Following User Says Thank You to ConiKost For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel