Closed Thread
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Oh, I don't think I ever answered this, but:

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Now, I have a question to all interested people, both per-supporters and folks waiting with order to release date:
Apart from thickness - that will be reduced at final - what type of visual-finish for edges would you prefer? Curved/cut at angle, like in this project:

[snip]

...or flat one, like in photo (just thinner, polished, anodized, etc)?
I have no preference. So my vote is go with whatever other people want more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I have no preference. So my vote is go with whatever other people want more.
So earlier today I realized, I thought you were talking about a completely different part being flat than what you were actually talking about. *Facepalm*

My revised answer is I slightly prefer the flat version (if I understand correctly now, we're talking about flat as in, the camera cover area would be flush with the rest of the back), as it seems the majority of respondents do. But I would be okay enough with a non-flat version that I wouldn't complain if more people wanted that one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
I think it's more like flat as in iPhone5s (the edges) and curved like 5c. Sorry for this treacherous comparison.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I think it's more like flat as in iPhone5s (the edges) and curved like 5c. Sorry for this treacherous comparison.
Well, that was what I thought at first. If that's the case, then my prior "no preference" stands.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Now you have complicated it to the point that I may lose track what I'm asking about Seriously though, I had no idea how 5s and 5c egdes look like, and had to google for it. Now, google will bubble me as iPhone user. Oh well.

Even more seriously, reality is that I was asking mostly about what Mentalist thinks *now* that I was asking about = surface. But, answers about edges got considered too - from practical tests, flat ones with just (very) little curvature works best for stable grip during typical N900 activities (like, playing "throw N900"... No, just plain writing and browsing, even gaming), and makes it more stable with kickstand extended. So, sounds like all-winner - the more I'm glad, that most people prefer it visually, too.

/Estel

// Edit

From department update - circular shield for camera cover got scrapped, because I'm and idiot and for all those months of test driving usage, I haven't noticed that - when having camera opened - it leaves dust/dirt friendly opening (aka hole) in slider area (it probably don't make much sense without actually holding unit in hand, but trust me [tm] that it was wrong). Well, believe or not, but I noticed it only during light-leakage tests (normally used to notice areas with some imperfections, requiring to apply precise backslash on CNC machine itself) - instead of searching for "bleeding light" I got blinded by lamp through magnificent hole. Erm...

Fear not, though, as it's not going to introduce any delays - I got alternate project and prototype for camera cover (slider, just better - IMO - than in original cover), due to other problems with rotary shield. So, no big deal.
---

I just can't wait to show you guys photos of alpha with kickstand (polishing results a little, making it thicker) - it makes writing on desk-placed N900's hardware keyboard true option, finally, not to mention making it better to use with external ones connected, as we don't have that awkward low-angle, anymore. I know, small things, but I really love improved kickstand. If you're like me on that department, you're gonna be happy penguin, soon

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-19 at 19:09.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Estel, perhaps time to edit out a "pre" or two from the thread title, eh?

Somehow I missed or forgot this thread until recently. Great stuff - tenacity and some. If the neo900 comes to fruition even better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Sure, I will edit title together with opening post, after photos. I don't want to edit title too often, as our eternally wise forum software lock title's edits after certain (not so high) treeshold is reached.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Estel,
The title edits are locked not by count but by time I.e. After one year of thread creation no title editing is allowed by creator of thread. However you can report the post for mods/admins to edit it

Also, this is not forum software limitation but a rule that existed during Reggie's time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I'm just walking by~

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Here are promised photos with leg - sorry for delay, I had a little latitude while re-designing it (more about it later):

As usual, ignore scratches/lack of "polish finish" ( ), it is my battered prototype, re-purposed and scrapped countless times.

At photo, leg takes roughly 2/3 of backcover length, and is *very* stable. Hoever, I decided to change it for next revision - it will be even longer, going through the whole length of device (with camera cover inside leg zone, unlike shown on photo). I'm also going to tweak angle (while standing) a little - vanilla one - which is ~replicated here - was a little awkard for most use cases, so I'm going to make it closer to 45 degrees.
---

Comments are welcome as always. Just a little note, though - I'll be unavoidable unavailable for next two weeks. I just received keys to my new flat - overdue since august - so I'm going to set it up and move. Actually, I've just started the former, and I'm so tired that I can barely write a post here

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel