Active Topics

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Pwn wHY work on a new system from scrach when there is a ongoing devlopment in process why dont you leverage your skills here and help it shape up to a full fleged distro

think again

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Pwn wHY work on a new system from scrach when there is a ongoing devlopment in process why dont you leverage your skills here and help it shape up to a full fleged distro

think again
Although I generally agree, I also think Kali Linux could be of great use on N900. See Kali Linux: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-whats-new/

Advantages (that I saw after reading their website):
  • Debian based
  • Being FHS-compliant
  • Similar to BackTrack but better (made by people standing behind BackTrack, but concentrated by default exclusively on pentesting)
  • Being more serious about ARM architecture

For me that's enought to at least try it on desktop and I would love to be able to install it on N900 then.

@PWN900 - maybe try using IRC channels - the one for alternative operating systems on N900 and even the one on maemo cssu - guys like freemangordon or pali seem to have compiled the 3.X kernels on N900 and run them successfully, pali is also a programmer and maintainer of n900's u-boot which now allows to boot up-to-date 3.X kernels if needed; they should be also able to tell you more why 3.X kernels perform worse on N900 then 2.6.28 or 2.6.37 (something related to resources and power managment, but I'm not able to tell you more unfortunately).

Last edited by misiak; 2013-04-22 at 18:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
I fail to see how something being Debian based would give advantage over anything.

Situation with upstream kernel is complicated, there has been no-one interested in maintaining drivers etc for a stillborn device in quite awhile.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
I fail to see how something being Debian based would give advantage over anything.
These are advantages personally for me, not generally for everyone, I could have stated that better. Being Debian-based for me is an advantage, as I have most experience with Debian-based linux systems (it's my personal preference to e.g. like dpkg and apt-get better when comapred to rpm-based systems, etc.).

Thank you for clarifying why the situation with drivers is complicated, I suspected that but wasn't sure.

Anyway, I didn't want to start any flame war about different distributions and didn't want to derail this thread, so I'm just gonna shut up now

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Carry on investing time on tons of distros..
I was just trying to put more efforts on a existing system to make it full fledged then we could think of something
every distro has its points through

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ rochester
Thank you all for the info. This is feels like a better starting point for me as far as the kernel and other possible drivers . I believe my real problem is hardware tho. What i really want is a phone the size of a DNA with the power of an alienware that has all the goodies of the N900 keyboard, injection capable wireless chip-set, and LTS for whatever OS (dream idea not what should be feasible). Why is it that we here at maemo don't just break from nokia and use Kickstarter-funded project for the hardware and start using the community to find out what the OS should do out of the box. We could use a base OS like arch or debain and let individual users build from the ground up. Good, bad, go to a different form?

maemo community is the future of communication

The Following User Says Thank You to PWN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
These are advantages personally for me, not generally for everyone, I could have stated that better.
Precisely. My comment was intended to be merely a neutral statement, but I guess I failed to hide my personal opinion there.

However, there actually is one huge advantage in Debian if we think our cause: the packaging, and the fact that its already done and can be re-used to some extent at least.

Regardless of my personal opinions and preferences, the currently on-going effort on rebasing Fremantle to Debian, is in my book the only sane and serious option, and I really hope that the project succeeds. It is something that should have been started years ago with a full community force, rather than sticking with what Nokia had to offer and trying to keep it running.

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
I'm just gonna shut up now
No need for such action, I may be blunt sometimes but discussion and different views are something that I wish to see in this thread.

Originally Posted by nokiabot
every distro has its points through
Exactly, though I think the actual points appear more in the "major" distributions, and possibly in a few bigger spin-offs.

Originally Posted by PWN900
Why is it that we here at maemo don't just break from nokia and use Kickstarter-funded project for the hardware and start using the community to find out what the OS should do out of the box.
It's a nice idea, if we play with it; something in the form factor of N900, with a slightly bigger screen. Allwinner SoCs are somewhat open and quite well supported on mainline Linux. Good, if not best, OS baseline would without a doubt be Mer. After that it would just be a matter of bringing HD up-to-date with a modern userland. Cordia project already made it run with more recent Clutter.

Unfortunately, I doubt this all would succeed, especially when the community seems to be in a bit fractured state nowadays. And I don't even want to know how proprietary is the hardware required to make it a cell phone too.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
Precisely. My comment was intended to be merely a neutral statement, but I guess I failed to hide my personal opinion there.

However, there actually is one huge advantage in Debian if we think our cause: the packaging, and the fact that its already done and can be re-used to some extent at least.

Regardless of my personal opinions and preferences, the currently on-going effort on rebasing Fremantle to Debian, is in my book the only sane and serious option, and I really hope that the project succeeds. It is something that should have been started years ago with a full community force, rather than sticking with what Nokia had to offer and trying to keep it running.

No need for such action, I may be blunt sometimes but discussion and different views are something that I wish to see in this thread.

Exactly, though I think the actual points appear more in the "major" distributions, and possibly in a few bigger spin-offs.

It's a nice idea, if we play with it; something in the form factor of N900, with a slightly bigger screen. Allwinner SoCs are somewhat open and quite well supported on mainline Linux. Good, if not best, OS baseline would without a doubt be Mer. After that it would just be a matter of bringing HD up-to-date with a modern userland. Cordia project already made it run with more recent Clutter.

Unfortunately, I doubt this all would succeed, especially when the community seems to be in a bit fractured state nowadays. And I don't even want to know how proprietary is the hardware required to make it a cell phone too.
just thinking on the same we shoud have have our own upmc by now as we all have witnessed the power of the community . We have our own infra solid community funding to run it .insane amount of skilled devlopers a delligent community caring enough

Also m sure there are people who are accociated with such kind of things that are capable of governing of thing we require .also the community has lots of delligent people as an ex have a look at the council threads.
At least someone knowledgeble enough makd the thread an wach how far the discusion goes.

Or this trollbot will create the thread

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ rochester
This most certainly is a project that will take a group effort like none other. What you have to ask your self is how much time and effort you want to put in, no half *** work or lose of steam upon first major problems. Clearly the ability to program and use opensorce is the least of the issues. As i look more into the issues, patients on cell phones is the biggest hurdle.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartph...s#cite_note-11)
No doubt that a patient layer will be needed at some stage of development. Weather or not kickstarter provides those resources, i am unsure at the moment. I don't know about the rest of the community but i am tired of buying the coolest gadget only to have support dropped three to four years latter. Having to deal with what phone to buy because it is market strategy to give certain features on one device and not to others. Its all crap lets stick it to the corporate monster and give it a shot. Pretty sure i am completely off topic now. If no one starts new forum on the subject i will do so in a couple of days.

Don't become alienated from what you love

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PWN900 For This Useful Post: