Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Not that I want to speak for Estel, but I asked him about situation recently, and he said he's been trying out different anodizing shops. Apparently the first one wasn't up to the level of quality he was hoping for, so he's been trying others, some of which seem to be too expensive at the volume likely to be made. As I understood it he's waiting on a few more anodizing shops to send back samples, and then he'll update with pictures. Hopefully I didn't misremember anything.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Been almost 2 months without update. BUMP.

Sorry for the dela, guys. I got some nice (and quite extensive) photo-diary of producing backcover and current state of things made with proper photo equipment, finally - I'll set it up here after recovering from serious lung's illness that I'm passing right now.

Thanks for patience,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Awh estel, get well soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Quick question: the Neo900 board will need a spacer frame and enlargement of the charger hole to fit into the N900's body. Would it be possible for you to make back covers that take this into account?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
I was thinking of application to Neo900, just never made a statement here. So, yeah, if possible would it be done?

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I was thinking of application to Neo900, just never made a statement here. So, yeah, if possible would it be done?
+1 for this.

If were to spend that much for the neo900, I'd rather it were in one of your bespoke and engraved original cases. 100% unique.

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Considering, that Neo900 is going to - after all - be compatible with N900's case, I plan to support it since day zero Someone who want to remain anonymous from Neo900 team promised to give me access to Neo900 board for a few days, as soon as it becomes available in final form - for real life tests. I should, also, get direct and precise data on charging hole's size differencies long before - to evaluate possible "compromise" of making size that doesn't look ugly on N900 but works for Neo900, or need to change this details for declared Neo900 orders.

As for backcovers, there should be 0 problems (but, also, 0 possibility to kill need for a spacer, AIUI). The only affected thing is full body repl. - this one will surely still require spacer at first, but it shouldn't be hard to change this detail too in Neo900's "fork".

Also, there should be zero problem with milling the spacer itself from material matching the case... Which, BTW, can include possibilities for decorative touches - like, different finish or color for the spacer, or even totally different material type - spacer made from black oak wood paired with black alu body, anyone? The above is just an idea - no tests on how it would look actually, but since first hearing about necessarity for a spacer, I thought about making it a visual "feat", instead of hindrance.

/Estel

Ps.
While I'm writing already, might as well throw in what I'm working on ATM (using the time I need to spend in bed/home) - following idea of invaluable Mentalist Traceur (ok, to be 100% honest, I planned to do it at "some point" anyway, but recent conversation with him positively pushed me to actually make the "some point" a more foreseable one), I'm going to place all project's files on some Git. Tediously cleaning them up now, for making it better readable for other people

When ready, It should allow to print preview models on 3D printers (after converting LinuxCNC g-code to one applicable for printers) if you happen to have access to one, or even contribute to final look of project by forking, optimising my cheesy g-code lines and requesting pull. Free and Open Source Hardware, FFS!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hellas Estel, since the Neo900 project is plausibly moving forward is there some update on the aluminium full body replacement for N900 also including the changes for the Neo900? I am asking since I'd love to get the full body replacement for my Rover, but dunno if I will be able to use it on the Neo900? Can you please share what is the situation/plan? Thank You, Beau.

Last edited by beobachter; 2014-05-03 at 10:09. Reason: typos

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beobachter For This Useful Post:
Can you please post high res. photo's of the newest proto to asses the finished quality of material, build quality?
Not to hurt someones feeling, I understand how difficult (and awsome :-) ) a project such as yours is, building a milling machine from scratch. But the 3d printed keyboard OH for Jolla looks really cheap quality. I am sure milled alu looks much better than that?

What is the weight of the alu body/ cover? How much heavier is it compared to stock N900?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel