Active Topics

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Just to confirm... if you are developing on QT you are able to easily port applications to multiple platforms. If my assumption is correct it would be "better" to encourage development on QT rather than any specific platform, as this would allow them to have access to the broadest market.

i apologize in advance if i am off-base.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy way for Windows developers (ever heard of them? it seem's there are quite a few of them... ) to do exactly that for Maemo.

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...t_for_maemo_5/

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Would this be impossible? Would the very idea pf a graphics editing tool imping on Adobe's licence?
The "Maemo-shop" name might be dodgy but you can of course create a photo editing tool and there are many out there. The issue is whether people really want to edit photos extensively on their phone.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It would take X millions of people willing to pay for it. Nothing to do with technology or distribution channels, appstores, etc.
The iPhone version is free as in beer, because the iPhone platform and market is seen as a valuable asset in itself, and everybody wants a piece of that.
The problem isn't making a free maemo-shop with the same capabilities (there's a thread for that in the forum), is driving the Maemo platform to the same "value in itself" status, so much that everybody couldn't afford not playing in Maemo. This would drive innovation !

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Kathy,
the *idea* of image editing on the device is not impeding on anything.
I suggest you look at the results of the cocreation workshop we took part in at the summit, part of those were related to media editing and shaking up what is possible on the go.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32619

these sorts of applications are possible, but would require a much more deliberate and planned collaborative effort to get underway in any substantial manner.

taking those ideas beyond the paper stage is hard though and without solid hard work proving the case, they will remain exactly that - ideas.

just look at what I'm starting with liqbase, I could not have expected support in coding or monetary terms 18 months ago had I came and said I have some ideas.
Now, after coding it and proving the concept, its becoming feasible to gather momentum to actually make a business out of them and bring those ideas to the community at large.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
In more economy-oriented terms, on Maemo development is driven by DEMAND, while in appstore oriented OSes, as awkward it may seem at a first glance, development is driven by SUPPLY.
I think what you are describing is flawed logic for the path forward, historically it may have been true.

in app store oriented OSes, development is driven by market and pride.
  • Market driver is there are "enough: people who are willing to buy your stuff to make it worth your effort
  • Pride driver is the want to make the best of something and share/sell it to th
e world.

Historically, it appears, Maemo development is driven by DEMAND most often by the user/developer and pride in community

I think the maemo many of you know is changing or evolving.

There will be an app store attached to the n900 and i assume future instances of maemo devices... Ovi as a service and distribution platform will be pervasive across all Nokia products. You will have the ability to not use it, as a developer or a user. That will be the decision you have to make. Since this phone is being picked up by carriers and is a powerful (normal sized pocket) device that is cool, it will get picked up by a majority of people who prefer the app store route.

Originally Posted by ddalex View Post
I'm finding myself surrounded by people who are enthusiast to say the least; but they are not driven by Maemo, they are enthusiast about Android and the Jesus phone, despite a significant share of them being Linux developers. I've been trying to preach Maemo and "computer-on-your hand" concept to them, they are more interested to get SSH and VNC working on HTC Hero than contribuing to Maemo.
That's because Linux developers probably see their desktop/laptop computers and their handhelds as two different *beasts* entirely. Any developer worth his/her salt is going to know how to ssh into a remote machine, and, for most, that's all they need in a handheld. The real work gets done on a proper keyboard. The phone is just for communication and entertainment.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
[*]Market driver is there are "enough: people who are willing to buy your stuff to make it worth your effort
Just to hook into this. It is not entirely clear it IS worth the effort. All we have is marketing talk like 'surely developing for an X million market pays !', but in fact, there is very little data about just how many applications (and thus companies) in the ecosystem are actually profitable.

There will be an app store attached to the n900 and i assume future instances of maemo devices... Ovi as a service and distribution platform will be pervasive across all Nokia products. You will have the ability to not use it, as a developer or a user. That will be the decision you have to make. Since this phone is being picked up by carriers and is a powerful (normal sized pocket) device that is cool, it will get picked up by a majority of people who prefer the app store route.
I referred to this as the Fire and Water problem. I really don't see how the two (the current Extras-style OSS and the commercial Ovi route) can coexist without one impeding the other (except for very specific cases like high-budget games). Could be just my shortsightedness and the fact that there is no historical precedent for such a case

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by endorphinum View Post
Well my opinion is that NOKIA has missed a lot at this point.
For me there is no big difference ranging from the n800 to the n900
but in hardware.
Have you had one in your hands?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Hamburg
Maemo is pretty important for Nokia. Nokia has simply nothing comparable to Iphone/Android. If Maemo doesnt rock - Nokia will have a problem!
Hopefully Nokia can deliver the phone soon. As for me its critical to have something soon. And I think there are a lot of Nokia Users having some E Series or N Series phones awaiting something to replace their old gadgets but were disappointed by the N97 (as I). If Nokia can bring these users to there N900 there will be a critical mass of users that will make maemo attractive for developers.
In my opinion linux users that use linux because of its openess and possibilities will come to maemo sooner or later.
The question is how to attract dissappointed IPhonees and Androidees? Its all about the weaknesses of others Phone OSs as the convinced ones will not have a reason to come to N900/maemo as they spent a lot for a new phone in the last two years.

Last edited by kalexm; 2009-10-23 at 13:56.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kalexm View Post
The question is how to attract dissappointed IPhonees and Androidees? Its all about the weaknesses of others Phone OSs as the convinced ones will not have a reason to come to N900/maemo as they spent a lot for a new phone in the last two years.
I'm not sure about this, in terms that it would/should be a much higher priority to convert (the numerous) mid-to-high-end Symbian folks to Maemoites than fight for iPhone/Android dropouts.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, iphone, maemo, market share