Active Topics

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
okay, let's do it
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
  1. ...
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. Bring back the status bar or at least put on a single screen all the info the status bar would have normally shown. Having to swipe all over the place to see the clock, connection status, signal level, battery level etc. is quite annoying.
    - Seems you need to buy Android phone. SailfishOS doesn't fit your requirements.
  5. Merge the lock screen with the notification screen to turn two pointless screens into a single sensible one.
    - Lockscreen already showing notifications. Eventsview screen have social and other stuff, not only notifications.
  6. ...
  7. Fix the pulley menus for apps with long scroll contents. I have to give Jolla some credit there as they cleverly avoided pulley menus in the stock browser. Something similar is desperately needed in all apps with a lot of contents: email clients, text editors...
    - You don't like main SailfishOS features again.
  8. ...
  9. Allow the use of gaps (empty space in place of an icon) in Laucher.
    - No, Please don't! No sh*t in SailfishOS please.
  10. ...
  11. Skip the pointless <SD card ID> in the path to the SD card contents.
    - It's not pointless.
  12. ...
  13. Have a proper dbus or similar mechanism so that tapping on a file in any file manager opens the file in an associated application.
    - It's already here and working exactly same way as you described. SailfishOS lack of dialog for selecting default application.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
I'm with coderus on this one... I don't want things like e.g., a status bar as I don't need to be checking e.g., the time of the day _all the time_.

Having said this, I'm sure there is room for improvement and that people's opinions vary; thankfully, we have TJC where you can vote and gauge how many of us are for or against an idea.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Agreed with some points mentioned before.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
You might need to buy Android phone and be happy with it.
In addition to what Dave999 said, here is a rundown of the phones I used in the past 15 years:
  • Motorola V3690
  • Motorola T191
  • PalmTreo 600
  • A bunch or Bada and Android phones that I don't care to remember because I never beared with any of them for more than a week
  • Nokia N900
  • Nokia N9
  • Jolla Jolla ***

Apart from real Android, guess which of the above list is the most Android-like? Hint: it's the (tripple) star of the show

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
In addition to what Dave999 said, here is a rundown of the phones I used in the past 15 years:
  • Motorola V3690
  • Motorola T191
  • PalmTreo 600
  • A bunch or Bada and Android phones that I don't care to remember because I never beared with any of them for more than a week
  • Nokia N900
  • Nokia N9
  • Jolla Jolla ***

Apart from real Android, guess which of the above list is the most Android-like? Hint: it's the (tripple) star of the show
But android-like is just iphone-wannabe-like

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Even one click is too many when a solution exists that provides the same thing without a single click.
That's not information you need on the screen 100% of the time. Sailfish solution is almost as it should be, one thing I would change is put it on the lock screen without the need for that extra tap. When you're inside an app the peek gesture is perfect.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Not sure what's the relevance here, but since Coderus was talking about the UI, I think that from the list you offered, N900 is closest to Android (status bar, widgets, on-screen back button) and Jolla is as far as one can get

That being said, there's nothing wrong with it - it's all about preference. But what you're suggesting is changing the features that define SailfishOS.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
@pichlo i cannot agree with the most of your "general OS/global UI improvements".
okay, let's do it
Yes, let's
  1. ...
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. Bring back the status bar or at least put on a single screen all the info the status bar would have normally shown. Having to swipe all over the place to see the clock, connection status, signal level, battery level etc. is quite annoying.
    - Seems you need to buy Android phone. SailfishOS doesn't fit your requirements.
    - See my above post regarding my tolerance of Android.
  5. Merge the lock screen with the notification screen to turn two pointless screens into a single sensible one.
    - Lockscreen already showing notifications.
    - So you can tap on an email notification icon in the lock screen to open the email, right? Sorry, I clearly do not understand the basics as it somehow never worked for me.
    Toothless notifications are no notifications. Which makes them pointless.
  6. ...
  7. Fix the pulley menus for apps with long scroll contents. I have to give Jolla some credit there as they cleverly avoided pulley menus in the stock browser. Something similar is desperately needed in all apps with a lot of contents: email clients, text editors...
    - You don't like main SailfishOS features again.
    - Then neither does Jolla itself. Pullies are great but Jolla itself realized their weakness and implemented a way to avoid them in certain cases. Browser is one example, Gallery another. Can you suggest a way to save a long text file in the middle of editing by using pulley menus without losing your current position in the file?
  8. ...
  9. Allow the use of gaps (empty space in place of an icon) in Laucher.
    - No, Please don't! No sh*t in SailfishOS please.
    - Agreed. I would also prefer the possibility to place the icons exactly where I like. You know, like on a real desktop. But, well, gaps are a second best thing. (There is a Harmattan precedence, BTW. A 3rd party solution, not stock Nokia.)
  10. ...
  11. Skip the pointless <SD card ID> in the path to the SD card contents.
    - It's not pointless.
    - OK, so please enlighten me.
  12. ...
  13. Have a proper dbus or similar mechanism so that tapping on a file in any file manager opens the file in an associated application.
    - It's already here and working exactly same way as you described.
    - I know it's there. Only not used. I don't know if it an apps' fault of the OS's but I find it strange that the mechanism works in every file manager on the N900 but none of them on the Jolla.

Hmm. You found objections to 6 out of my 13 points. That's less than 50%, hardly "most" And I might just as easily accuse you of basing "most" of your 6 on uncritical fanboyism rather than objective consideration.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Not sure what's the relevance here, but since Coderus was talking about the UI, I think that from the list you offered, N900 is closest to Android (status bar, widgets, on-screen back button) and Jolla is as far as one can get
The relevance here is the irony of sending me to buy one.

Obviously when we look at the same thing, we notice different details. My first impression when I started using N9 after a couple of years on the N900 was, "hey, that looks just like Android!" No desktop, forced vertical layout in system screens, flowing app list instead of a menu, line-oriented Settings, a pointless lock screen... In short, no longer a proper desktop experience in your pocket.

When I got my first Jolla, my reaction was, "hey, just like Harmattan!" Only with the points I listed above they are even further away from a real desktop (and therefore closer to Android) than the N9.

In terms of the UI... To use an analogy with colours, I would call a real desktop such as Gnome 2, LXDE, Windows XP or Windows 7 various shades of green. Maemo is turqoise. Harmattan, Sailfish, Android, iOS, they are all different shades of red. That's how much they resemble each other and how far they are from the green side of the spectrum.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing either. Both N9 and Jolla are phones (even though I prefer calling the Jolla "phone" a tablet, due to the size), not pocket computers like the N900. But the irony of sending me to buy an Android phone is just too baffling.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-01-02 at 14:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
I have to give some credit to pichlo here. We may not agree on all solutions, but most of the points really show some weakness.

For example, one point where we agree is on the lockscreen.

I like the sailfish way of hiding everything unnecessary, but don't understand why on the lockscreen which is basically an empty screen, they have volontarily hidden usefull things that you would expect when unlocking the phone: battery and network levels.

As I see it, if you take out the phone of the pocket and you first unlock it, then you should see that you have no reception or no more battery, so there is no need to go further.

On the current solution you have to tap the lockscreen to make it jump a second to try to see the levels, or slide it a bit to have time to read them. And 90% of the lock screen is unused.... it's not like thoses have been removed to use the space for more important stuff (like when you are in an app).

Another example on the lockscreen is that the date and network name are shown one at a time... ? Why ? 90% of the screen is unused, and when you want to check on which network you are when roaming or near the boundary, you have to wait 3 seconds on the lock screen for the network name to appear. At least, it looks like the date is always the first one shown when unlocking which is probably the one we want to see most of the time.

So even as a proud supporter of the UI principles of sailfish, I can see a lot of things can be improved, not by throwing the principles away, but moving small things and adding some missing functions or interactions. Shooting "Android" to anyone that sees some weakness in the current sailfish implementation is not gonna help.

And thanks to all those who made patches to improve those things already !

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rocks, not again!, tags suck!, yes again!