Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
@qgil: A businessplan?
- Nokia creates innovative features with hardware that copyists Chinese fail to imitate before Nokia did so the following model.
i don't like using this acronym, but LOL! in todays world your utopia is pretty much impossible.

and nokia does business, not charity. creating fully open source media player for maemo would be really huge donation (of money & resources) to every manufacturer using maemo in their devices. plain economics and pure competition. Usain Bolt doesn't do cartwheels during 100m sprint, does he?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Keep your eagle eyes on development of Mer for N900...
It's noted.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
i don't like using this acronym, but LOL! in todays world your utopia is pretty much impossible.

and nokia does business, not charity. creating fully open source media player for maemo would be really huge donation (of money & resources) to every manufacturer using maemo in their devices. plain economics and pure competition. Usain Bolt doesn't do cartwheels during 100m sprint, does he?
-_-'

No need to create a media player from A to Z: if it is a FOSS, Nokia may use the source code to other FOSS.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Then differentiating with hardware becomes very very hard. The Nokia black box might have better materials and might be one millimeter thinner, but our worthy competitors can do something nearly identical. OEM manufacturers already can do hardware that is virtually identical to brand name hardware.
And it's not only better hardware, but also 'worse'.

A buzz arises out of maemo5, and you get hardware coming out with a similar sized screen with half the resolution, a smaller processor, no FM, a mediochre camera, as someone making a '3g' mobile in china has stuck maemo5 on it instead of their normal OS.

But at half the price.

Suddenly many potential users start wondering if they can actually see the difference between 320dpi and 160dpi, and if they in fact need the shiny, if they can run all the apps that run on the 'proper' version.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Canonical make proprietary software:
- UbuntuOne (sever side).
apt-get source ubuntuone-client
- Landscape.
apt-get source landscape-client got me the source.
- Launchpad is remained longtime proprietary.
..yeah, but... not anymore. Linux kernel was also once proprietary. Same for Sun Java.

That server for Landscape and/or Ubuntuone are not open source means nothing. When I surf WWW I get HTML spewed by closed source PHP code. Doesn't mean my OS is suddenly running closed source software. I mean... do you use MSN? MSN server software is closed source. Does that make your Debian running only free software and a MSN client suddenly running closed source or proprietary software? No way. It does use a reverse engineered proprietary protocol, and the server software is indeed proprietary. But that doesn't make you run proprietary software.

So actually... your examples suck...

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-09-22 at 15:58.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
and nokia does business, not charity. creating fully open source media player for maemo would be really huge donation (of money & resources) to every manufacturer using maemo in their devices.
Barring the ideologic reasoning is there any other reason why media player open source is in advantage of Maemo users?

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
Being able to use codecs that nokia cannot legally distribute.
I have questions if this is a widespread draw though.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by SpeedEvil View Post
Being able to use codecs that nokia cannot legally distribute.
I have questions if this is a widespread draw though.
Wouldn't this be a thing for the backend that it uses? I believe that (MAFW) is open source.

Tuomas Kulve did a good job with this (adding ogg-support to Diablo's media player) and he seems to have done it again.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Barring the ideologic reasoning is there any other reason why media player open source is in advantage of Maemo users?
Yes, 'cause I'll want to change it. I don't want to brainstorm, I just want to change it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
@qgil: A businessplan?
- Nokia creates innovative features with hardware that copyists Chinese fail to imitate before Nokia did so the following model.
- Nokia make Maemo 100% FOSS than other manufacturer can use and evolve it. Plus there will be a contributor to different horizon for Maemo, better it will be
Not worth the financial investment and years of development, just to give away the software for other companies to use it from the day of the release.

Last edited by Architengi; 2009-09-22 at 16:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:

Tags
balance, basic rights, defective by design, get your stink on, gpl holy crusade, open source, open source advocacy, sw wants to be free, try to correct an error, why isn't the gpl law?!, zealots be here