Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
This is an explanation of the Reputation system that can be implemented on vBulletin boards (just like this one)

The reputation system has two distinct ratings: Reputation Score and Reputation Power.

Reputation Score is an attribute of each member that indicates the quality of the member's posts as rated by other active members. A member's Reputation Score increases when other members who have reputation power approve posts by that member by clicking on the "Rate this Post" link in the upper right hand corner of the post. A member's reputation score can be seen by the number of small green squares in the upper right hand corner of any posts by that member. Comments given to a member can be viewed by that member in his or her profile.

Reputation Power is the amount by which a member can affect another member's Reputation Score. Reputation Power takes into account length of membership, number of posts, and Reputation Score. A member's Reputation Power can be seen in the upper right hand corner of any post by that member.

The green, blue/grey, and red squares in the Latest Reputation Received table on the My Profile page denote the effect of the comment on your Reputation Score. If the rater approved the post, and at the time of commenting had a positive Reputation Power, the square will be green. If the rater had no Reputation Power the square will be blue/grey. And if the rater disapproved the post the square will be red.

To get more insight into how these ratings work and to view the parameters that control these two ratings, see the page describing the settings in the administrative manual for the forum software: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ons_reputation

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
At first glance, I like the idea of gaining a little karma by thanking someone, but I definitely think we need to study what other similar communities (like brighthand mentioned above) have done in the past, as other people will have been through this before us.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
anyone who vists or searches the forum regularly for a few months knows who their favorite developers and the really important and most helpful forum contributors are. i would guess none or very few of them do what they do for forum karma. i'm not sure we would lose all that much by abolishing karma altogether or by only giving it to developers. it might save us from a lot of forum fluff, and thereby make it more pleasant for the people mentioned above to hang out here. but to me, leaving the karma system the way it is would still be preferable to enlarging or complicating it.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Sorry, but I do not see why it is needed. Also, it pretty much encourages people to cheat.
What about mailing list + correctly configured spambot with your email as sender?

And what if amount of thanked -karma is max 10% of your existing karma? that would be imo better valuation: thanking is important but it cant get you karma alone. And more you do something else, more you can get by thanking.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by kalle View Post
My girlfriend is doing a research on how data management programs influence on the actual work getting done. Because the data defines the efficiency of the worker, the workers start to do tasks that give them more "efficiency points" - no matter if these tasks are the most important ones or not. And some important task are neglected, because the program doesn't value them (ie. "invisible work").

Just saying, that while this Karma exits, it can't be neclected. It will have an influence on peoples behavior. It's purpose just has to be clear: to indicate the activity (and usefulness) of the member to the community. If giving thanks to someone can be considered as a meaningful activity and therefore something we want to substain, then it should be rewarded with karma. But the amount oh the karma should be in pair with the importance and effort.

But I agree with qgil: the importance of Karma should not be emphasized - you should not start doing things that give you karma, you should be doing useful things and GET Karma. IMHO the amount of thanks on the site is now quite good (they are given, but not for every post), and giving thanks should remain sincere: "I thank you for writing this" and not "I thank myself for reading this".
I have been a Skin(n)arian all my life. Everything has influence on peoples behavior.

Receiving thanks is unexpected reinforcement. Giving thanks is in itself reinforcing. Hell, I think we should be able to plant little BS flags on some posts but it is pro'ly not a very productive idea.

What may have to happen (and I realize this is off Texrat's original topic) is that as membership levels change the amount or rate of karma earned for thanks should change.
That is, for example: The karma earned for a post that 10% of the membership thanks should always be the same regardless of how many members we have. The earning ratio should be tied to a key volume indicator

Another regulator could be limiting one thanks to a member per thread. You can still thank everyone in the thread, but you can only do it once.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-10-23 at 23:30. Reason: Missed an n....

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I've decided I will withdraw this submission, BUT I am highly encouraged by the discussion that erupted in the past few days. Maybe this is an "it ain't broke so don't fix it" sort of thing but it never hurts to explore possibilities.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
This is an explanation of the Reputation system that can be implemented on vBulletin boards (just like this one)
I really liked this system when I've seen it in use in certain forums I go to. Good idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Sorry, but I do not see why it is needed. Also, it pretty much encourages people to cheat.
I'm agreeing with the former now, but I continue to believe that the latter thought is in error.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
What about mailing list + correctly configured spambot with your email as sender?
Of course, you can come up with all kinds of elaborate karma-harvesting schemes, but there is absolutely no reason to make it easier than it already is.

Okay, I don't actually want to delete this idea, because even though it's flawed there was some good dialog around it-- but now I definitely see Quim's point about a "WONTFIX".

What I would like to see:

-Option for creator to Withdraw proposal (I don't see that)
-Option for moderator to Retire a proposal (perhaps with originator approval required)
-Feature to support Hibernation/Expiration of an idea if it receives no activity for a certain length of time

I will repeat these in the Brainstorm discussion on this subject.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
giving thanks, karma