Active Topics

Thanks , I used pkgscan.sh.tar

It works good.

If there is an upgrade available for any of the packages i "archived", do i need to "de-optify" (undo) before applying it?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
See post #27

BTW after next reboot mc and dosbox icons (i "optified" both) were replaced with blue squares. It happens to desktop shortcuts only, icons the launcher are intact.

Is it save to archive huge libqt4-gui?

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
Is it save to archive huge libqt4-gui?
Personally I would *ONLY* archive apps I installed myself (I've archived subversion), but that's just me...

Remember that this is a workaround. I'm sure Nokia/Maemo Community comes up with a solution to the "opt problem" (other than to *manually* optify packages before submitting them to the repositories - I'm thinking automatic opt checks when submitting a package to -devel/-testing) sooner or later...

Another thing; Before a firmware upgrade I would also undo whatever I have archived (just to be on the safe side)... You never know what that firmware might bring us...

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by DrWilken View Post
I've been thinking about the same thing. If the updated package still isn't optified it will overwrite the links I believe. If it is optified it won't be a problem AFAIK. That would create links to the new files (in /opt) overwriting the old links AND files.
Hi, I've missed this earlier post.

From what I see the above post describes how it should work but actually it works a little diferently.

If the updated application isn't optified it will overwrite the links and you'll end up with unessacery files leftover in /opt/relocated/.
The same will also happen if the updated application is optified too. It will not overwrite the old files simply because they are in a different folder from what the correct optification uses.

Basically, all the heavy-lifting in the script has been done but it is not complete so you should be carefull and willing to reflash if you decide to use it.

Hope it helps.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
It will not overwrite the old files simply because they are in a different folder from what the correct optification uses.
Makes sense... So maybe the script should be edited to "archive" using the correct paths?

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Basically, all the heavy-lifting in the script has been done but it is not complete so you should be carefull and willing to reflash if you decide to use it.
Or just undo before any update of a package You KNOW has been archived using the script...

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Makes sense... So maybe the script should be edited to "archive" using the correct paths?
Maybe not, because it is simpler to find later which stuff have been moved by the script and undo them. The script looks in the /opt/relocated folder to provide the undo functionality.

Or just undo before any update of a package You KNOW has been archived using the script...
Yes, at least that's what I did. Nevertheless, as it was mentioned in an earlier post, the undo of the script is not a real undo. Thus, IMHO the script should be used only for applications/libraries that can be re-installed easily from extras* repos.

Last edited by Saturn; 2009-12-30 at 13:36. Reason: corrected quoting

Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
BTW after next reboot mc and dosbox icons (i "optified" both) were replaced with blue squares. It happens to desktop shortcuts only, icons the launcher are intact.
Yes, that's one of the side-effects of the script.
One more related is that the relocated applications don't appear any more in the list to add them as a sortcut in the desktop.

Haven't understood yet the reason but it might be related on the bootup sequence. That is, the /opt might be mounted after this info is being cached.

Tags
n800, n810, n900, optification, optifying, rootfs