Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by mele View Post
Here works also =)

APN: Saunalahti MMS
MMSC: http://mms.saunalahti.fi:8002
Access Point: mms.saunalahti.fi
proxy ip: 62.142.4.197
port:8080

Should link to address book work?...now i have to go manually to address book and copy phone number i want
Have you first deleted the Saunalahti Internet from phone's settings and then created the mms APN there? I mean I want to keep my internet APN functional and still send and receive mms-messages without editin the APN-list every time.

I'm asking because there's no such settings like proxy or port in fMMS settings-page.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Yes, you need to edit the Internet APN everytime (for now) and configure the proxy there.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by frals View Post
Yes, you need to edit the Internet APN everytime (for now) and configure the proxy there.
Okay, that's what I was thinking too. I think I need to wait for firmware-update and hope it's gonna allow to have more than just one APN :-/

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
BTW: The SIM_IMSI contains MMC and MNC, this might be helpful when automating the APN setup and fMMS configuration. We would only need a more complete /etc/operator_settings file and then it could easily be parsed.
No, unfortunately that doesn't work. Here in UK, I've seen two operators where MMC and MNC are not sufficient to identify the APN setting:

Vodafone UK - This matches an MMC/MNC in /etc/operator_settings, but it doesn't work. At least 3 different APNs are documented on forums, according to type of contract (contract vs. pay-as-you-go (aka.prepay); possibly different again for data card SIMs). One of those APNs might be out of date (hard to be sure), but I know for sure, 2 of them are active and the correct one has to be used for your contract type otherwise you get no connection.

Giffgaff - This matches MMC/MNC in /etc/operator_settings, but it doesn't work. It shows up as O2, because Giffgaff piggybacks on O2, but the O2 APN does not work - you have to use the Giffgaff one. You can't detect this from MMC/MNC.

That's just for regular data connections. If you can't choose the regular data APN from MMC/MNC alone, I am quite sure you can't choose the correct MMS settings from it.

Isn't there any more information available from USIMs? I'm sure I've seen long screenfuls of relevant looking data on some diagnostic software.

Whether there is or not, it seems that operators often send a special kind of text after you put a SIM into a new phone; the special text contains appropriate data and MMS settings.

Of course it does not always work automatically, except for the first operator used with a phone, because phones (e.g. Symbian) can be rather complicated about these things, maintaining multiple APN profiles etc. and keeping a mix of old and new settings; virtually all users would have no idea what to do with it. I certainly don't, so my very cheap and basic other Nokia phone cannot do data or MMS to any operator other than the one whose SIM I put in the first time - even though the phone is unlocked and manages voice + SMS to all operators without any problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Updated first post with link to a GUI program to add a new APN; http://mms.frals.se/fapn.html

Uploaded to -devel as well.

After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Just thought I'd throw another working carrier in the ring, AT&T here in the USA

APN: AT&T Internet
APN Address: wap.cingular
HTTP Proxy: 66.209.11.32:80
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com

GREAT work! I'll be interested in checking out some of the code, and possibly lending a hand in future development

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltarCrystal For This Useful Post:
AltarCrystal: Nice, the code is in /opt/fmms, I'll try to get it up on the garage site as well and starting commiting there instead of my local svn

0.1.3-1 pushed to -devel, should appear soon.

Fixes:
* should be able to send MMS thru a MMSC contaning a path in the url (ie T-Mobile USA) when not using a proxy
* able to send MMS without attachment again

fMMS - MMS for your N900

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
frals any way to make fmms force a connection
i got it to work but first before i send it i have to manually connect to the specific connection so fmms will not give me an error?

Last edited by amorek13; 2010-01-09 at 01:47.

Originally Posted by amorek13 View Post
frals any way to make fmms force a connection
i got it to work but first before i send it i have to manually connect to the specific connection so fmms will not give me an error?
Not yet implemented, I'm working on it though For now you have to connect manually I'm afraid

fMMS - MMS for your N900

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
Originally Posted by frals View Post
Not yet implemented, I'm working on it though For now you have to connect manually I'm afraid

yes but at least it forces a connections when mms is coming in also can you have the connection time out after some time lets say 30 sec after receiving mms?

Closed Thread

Tags
application, community win, fmms, frals rocks, fralsvsnokia1-0, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, n900, python