Active Topics

Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
What do you mean by efficient? If you are referring to battery life i can't agree with you.
The Linux kernel is modular, that is why most embedded systems(where efficiency is VERY important) use it.
The kernel isn't (shouldn't) matter much in terms of power usage, it's the userland that causes most of the battery drain.

I would also like to know on which grounds you are basing the inefficiency of Harmattan, unless you own an N9, i don't understand how you arrived to that conclusion.
As past Maemo device owners we all know Nokia only puts in just enough RAM to run the pre-installed stuff, if we don't multi-task too much. The N9 comes with 1GB, draw your own conclusions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Just to clarify, the N9 will have just as good battery time as most other smart phones. Not as good as Symbian phones though.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
I gotta wonder what the heck is happening in the board room these days. If I was a shareholder I'd be pissed that every week someone comes in with a new idea about how to save the company. Meanwhile, the stocks keep falling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cincibluer6 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Just to clarify, the N9 will have just as good battery time as most other smart phones. Not as good as Symbian phones though.
iPhone 4 has had the best battery life of my recent smartphones, but what i have read it seems like N9 will cope even better than ip4. That should mean a bit more than 2 days on my quite heavy daily use.

To be seen when i got that N9 in to my hands.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Qt for Symbian still has a lot of rough edges, and judging from that experience a lot of people (including myself), don't believe Nokia would be able to bring Qt to series 40 or any other new OS in a reasonable amount of time, in a good working state.
A bit orthogonal to the topic, but let's not forget that Qt in the case of Symbian is a bolt-on, a glorified wrapper if you wish - Harmattan would do ways better even on identical hardware.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Its perhaps good news... buy I simply afraid about the "low end marked (S40 type)" words...

So, to make it clear. The devices are getting cheap and have only 256MB Ram, 800MHz, 2GB Storage, 3" touchscreen, 3MP Camera...
Qt and Linux is great, but I wan't a device to use one a daily basis.

If they say the N9 is only low end because of the used operating system and the Meltemi successor will use similar hardware and perhaps the next generation of them I'm very soon a S40 user again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Nothing to get excited. I'm quite sure it will be as closed as it can be, and even less efficient (in any form...) that android gray mass out there.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Personally, I have no real interest in another closed OS controlled by Nokia, Elop and MS. They will never allow any Linux OS they control to be capable enough to threaten WinPhone.

Give me real, open Linux or I might as well keep using Android. At least I have a wide choice of hardware.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
I think it's the way o Nokia saying that the remains of the MeeGo team will not work on Tizen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verythrax For This Useful Post:
One word comes to mind: Aegis.

It doesn't really matter if it's linux, that doesn't necessarily translates as open. Nokia seems very much inclined to making a linux-based locked down platform with very little open for modification.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux