Active Topics

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by corsac View Post
It'd help to know if other people experiencing crashes have them with or without SIM.
Both with and without on mine.

Of course for most of today it's been fine. Except Ovi Store, which keeps hanging. But I'm not doing too much with it at the moment, light use only, so not representative.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
How have they managed to get a batch of knackered phones though?!?
This is an important question - a cynic might suggest that this was how Handtec (unknowingly) managed to get hold of 64Gb stock whilst noone else in the Uk could ...

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
I've only used the N9 with the micro-sim in, I put it in before turning it on for the first time. Symptom here is random reboots; I'm surfing the web or using the builtin twitter/facebook apps and suddenly the phone resets.

I've not seen any display glitches et...

The Following User Says Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Yep, there you go. Just loaded up "a bunch of stuff" (web, accounts, store, twitter, facebook, settings), pressed refresh on the feed homescreen and poked at settings and it rebooted.
Back in with the sim...

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Corfe Castle, Dorset, UK
Seems like most of us are experiencing the same reboot causes... Mine just did it when using the facebook app.

It hasn't frozen yet though with the SIM in, just random reboots (like my overclocked n900 :P )

We need to make sure handtec customer support see this thread...

The Following User Says Thank You to HughF_UK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Actually, I don't think it does have prerelease firmware. The 001 is the variant, not any kind of version number and the rest matches the standard N9 "PR1.0"
Yes, apologies.

I didn't have access to Navifirm or a Window PC, I was basing my comment on this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=391

Now I've tracked down a Windows PC and installed navifirm (and the .net 2.0 redistributable) and I can't see a difference between the version numbers for our variant and other people (who don't seem to be having issues).

I'm uncertain whether I think it's hardware or software, hence I'm torn about returning the device at this stage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Hmm - all the signs are definitely beginning to say hardware to me (at least as far as my N9 is concerned)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Hmm - all the signs are definitely beginning to say hardware to me (at least as far as my N9 is concerned)
What makes you say that? In the hardware column seems to be that other people running similar software are not experiencing the problem. On the other hand, the "instant reboot" seems too consistent a symptom for dodgy RAM. I've have expected more screen/disk corruption and hangs.

Last edited by jonquark; 2011-11-01 at 19:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
This is an important question - a cynic might suggest that this was how Handtec (unknowingly) managed to get hold of 64Gb stock whilst noone else in the Uk could ...
A company I worked for once had a gate array chip go obsolete. Didn't buy any "last stock" as they thought the product was dead. Of course they subsequently got a big order.

Rather than do a hurried re-design, they bought some chips on the "grey market", and most of them did not work. Weird problems that boiled down to the chips not having all of the pins hooked up internally.

They must have been rejects that somebody picked up and sold. So it does happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Riga, Latvia
It might not be Handtec specific problem as I'm getting occasional reboots and lockups as well, bought the N9 from the official retailer here.

The lockups seem to be related to window manager, as they have always happened on a swipe; and the vkb appears to be working if open (there is haptic feedback but the screen is not updated). Edit: On a second though, the lockups remind me the notorious nVidia "freeze bug", thus a driver issue.

Last edited by sunc; 2011-11-01 at 23:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunc For This Useful Post: