Active Topics

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
[backup?] no
[Remove extra stuff?] yes
[Install telnet?] no
[install dropbear?] no [then there is a pause for some seconds]

I don't really agree with these, people should make a backup of their initfs incase they wish to remove the bootmenu. Telnet & Dropbear are extremely useful to install as they can provide access to your N8*0 if it doesn't want to boot. If you don't want to install them, then you don't need to remove extra stuff

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
[backup?] no
[Remove extra stuff?] yes
[Install telnet?] no
[install dropbear?] no [then there is a pause for some seconds]

I don't really agree with these, people should make a backup of their initfs incase they wish to remove the bootmenu. Telnet & Dropbear are extremely useful to install as they can provide access to your N8*0 if it doesn't want to boot. If you don't want to install them, then you don't need to remove extra stuff
Thanks for the input. I had originally had a comment in the guide about those choices, but I took it out as part of my editing to stay within the 10,000-character maximum post-length. I figured that the guide was written primarily for people who were relative newbies and that anybody who knew what to do with dropbear and telnet would ignore my suggestions. I think, though, that people who aren't newbies are getting worthwhile use out of the guide now, too. And you're saying even relative newbies may find they need those tools.

What I'll do is put a note in Post #2 with what you're saying, and maybe squeeze in a comment at the beginning of Post #1 suggesting people look at Post #2 before beginning the process.

Or do you think I should just change all four responses to "yes"?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Thanks for the input. I had originally had a comment in the guide about those choices, but I took it out as part of my editing to stay within the 10,000-character maximum post-length. I figured that the guide was written primarily for people who were relative newbies and that anybody who knew what to do with dropbear and telnet would ignore my suggestions. I think, though, that people who aren't newbies are getting worthwhile use out of the guide now, too. And you're saying even relative newbies may find they need those tools.

What I'll do is put a note in Post #2 with what you're saying, and maybe squeeze in a comment at the beginning of Post #1 suggesting people look at Post #2 before beginning the process.

Or do you think I should just change all four responses to "yes"?

I would say a definite yes for backup. Otherwise getting an original initfs involves either reflashing or using linux flasher on computer to extract one.

I would say yes for ssh & telnet as they are good additional features and are unobtrusive (just press home when in bootmenu). Extra stuff has to be removed.

Something else you may wish to add to the second post is how to make booting off mmc, the default (it's in bootmenu readme).

Please don't look upon this as criticism, just friendly suggestions

Please don't look upon this as criticism
I don't!

just friendly suggestions
I know.

(Faheem, as far as I'm concerned, you're a 15-year-old king!)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Well, you should always be able to get back to your flash boot. (That's why it's called dual-booting! ) After you've pressed the power button, as soon as you see anything happening on the screen, press and hold the menu key until it shows you the boot menu.
The key word here is "should"..... It will by default boot to the flash side and after the Nokia with the temperature bar at the bottom, it instead of the hand photo will be a blank white screen, or will reboot in a loop of the same thing over and over. I left it to see what it would do and then could not get it back to the selection screen.

I was able to interrupt by taking the battery out and waiting, and now am booted to mmc2. I also cannot enter RD mode with the USB cable. The usb symbol is lit up but it then goes into the loop, not allowing the flash mode enabled, or I would relflash/reinstall the ext.

Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post
The key word here is "should"..... It will by default boot to the flash side and after the Nokia with the temperature bar at the bottom, it instead of the hand photo will be a blank white screen, or will reboot in a loop of the same thing over and over. I left it to see what it would do and then could not get it back to the selection screen.

I was able to interrupt by taking the battery out and waiting, and now am booted to mmc2. I also cannot enter RD mode with the USB cable. The usb symbol is lit up but it then goes into the loop, not allowing the flash mode enabled, or I would relflash/reinstall the ext.

Oh, that is a bummer. I suppose you have the Nokia Software Update Wizard launched and ready when you have the Tablet attached to the computer with the USB cable? I really don't know how to help, wish I did. There are threads if you google this forum for WSOD -- perhaps there is something there.

And just for my own peace of mind (or removal thereof), you were or weren't using my guide in Post #1 when you and your Tablet suffered this affliction?

I hope things get better soon!

Help Save This Forum

Oh, that is a bummer. I suppose you have the Nokia Software Update Wizard launched and ready when you have the Tablet attached to the computer with the USB cable? I really don't know how to help, wish I did. There are threads if you google this forum for WSOD -- perhaps there is something there.

And just for my own peace of mind (or removal thereof), you were or weren't using my guide in Post #1 when you and your Tablet suffered this affliction?

I hope things get better soon!
Nokia Software Update Wizard? I may install that on my wife's box to test.... I am an ubuntu Linux user.

Your first post sayeth-
The directions do not apply to the N770.
I got into a screen that said USB Networking is enabled, but I could not connect via Linux. I will try on XP later this week.

I ESC and booted into MMC and am connected via Putty (works same in Win or Linux), but I cannot see how to get back to the flash side of the drive or how to reconfig initfs

(I hope also this is on topic for this thread...)

(I hope also this is on topic for this thread...)
Close enough

Nokia Software Update Wizard? I may install that on my wife's box to test.... I am an ubuntu Linux user.
Strange to say (in the current context), I'm not a Linux user. I don't know how you update the built-in flash memory with a Linux box. I thought you were trying to reflash the OS to get back to zero and maybe it was acting up since you hadn't started the Wizard. From my [limited] experience, one only gets the usb icon when trying to flash the OS. I didn't understand what you were saying about R&D mode (which to me is what I go into when I'm in Red Pill Mode).

Hopefully one of the many ubuntu users will see your post and give you a more knowledgeable response.

As to whether the directions apply to the N770, I'm not sure, I was trying to be safe since I had no familiarity with the N770, it seemed significantly different from the N800/N810, and I figured N770 users could look at one of the other threads for guidance.

Again, I'm wishing you the best of luck!

Help Save This Forum

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
I successfully partitioned and cloned my OS using these instructions and I must give thanks.

If I may, I would like to entertain an inquiry to those more so educated than myself. (Sorry...I have been watching John Adams on HBO)

I was wondering if I boot to flash memory, go into control panel>tools>Clear Device would that wipe out initfs? The only reason i am asking this is because I cloned my filesystem with plenty of apps installed and I was thinking that if I could format the internal flash and flash a fresh install of os2008 then I could go back in case I brick anything. N800 OS2008 53-1 cloned on 4gb SDHC

Is this possible? Is <Clear Device> safe

Last edited by mooler; 2008-04-14 at 06:47.

I don't know about Clear Device, which I think exists only on the N810. But since you haven't bricked the Tablet yet, you could make a backup of your current MMC. I used Acronis True Image (see Post #2) to copy what I had in my bootable 8GB MMC to a 1GB USB thumb drive, and there it safely sits. That's for Windows; Linux users have other ways to make backups.

Help Save This Forum

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post: