Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Not having a Newbie Safe Area forces all posters of all threads in all forums to be nice to newbies.
I'm not following you here as to "forces". I don't think there is a problem that newbies are singled out and flamed. The objective from my pov is categorization of threads by subject matter, not to guide conduct which should be the same across all forums.

You can turn this omelette by saying that there is plenty of places in the Internet that welcome huge amounts of newbies every day without the need of having a Newbie corner. They just have a good architecture able to make happy newcomers and regular users.
But many of these forums are not part of a developer centric organization, which is what I see when I look at newstyle.maemo.org. The news are all developer related items, as are the announcements and events. If you click on "Intro" button, you get a developer minded page. Most Internet forums are stand alone and dominated by regular users or enthusiasts. I think, in our case, because of the maemo.org environment, a different structure than most forums should be used to reach out to newbies and regular users.

Real architecture had this problem too. First there were not buildings welcoming people using wheelchairs. Then they patched special accesses for weelchairs on those buildings. Now buildings of organizations caring about weelchair users are designed with common accesses making happy everybody.
But here you are advocating helping newbies by removing the newbie forum? Would you help handicapped people by removing the handicap ramps?

Yes, I have been active in all these processes. In a quite transparent way. My goal is probably your goal as well: to have a place where the Maemo community can discuss, help each other and have fun. Being a good entry point for newcomers is an essential factor of success.
We have the same goal in this respect. Where would you say the entry point for newcomers will be if the newbie forum is removed?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
But here you are advocating helping newbies by removing the newbie forum? Would you help handicapped people by removing the handicap ramps?
I think you ought to go back and re-read the analogy.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The objective from my pov is categorization of threads by subject matter, not to guide conduct which should be the same across all forums.
As said, after moving every single new Newbie thread to a better destination I don't see such "Newbie" categorization really exists. Newbies post also in General, N810 and other forums. Many threads starting in Newbies are posted by people that actually are no newbies at all. This is the reality we have now.

But many of these forums are not part of a developer centric organization, which is what I see when I look at newstyle.maemo.org. The news are all developer related items, as are the announcements and events. If you click on "Intro" button, you get a developer minded page. Most Internet forums are stand alone and dominated by regular users or enthusiasts. I think, in our case, because of the maemo.org environment, a different structure than most forums should be used to reach out to newbies and regular users.
It's maemo.org what needs to be improved to receive end users (and not just newbies) better.

- We need to talk about how to expand the planet (which nurtures the news you see in the frontpage).

- We started discussing about Announcements that should not only be posted by Nokia employees about developer related stuff.

- The Intro can be radically changed as soon as maemo.nokia.com and Forum Nokia cover the description of the Maemo platform and its main features.

And more, I agree. Keeping a Newbie forum doesn't solve the problems you are detecting, really.

No, as explained in the analogy. Luckily the virtual architecture is easier to fix than the one made of brick and mortar.

We have the same goal in this respect. Where would you say the entry point for newcomers will be if the newbie forum is removed?
No matter what, the entry points are Google and whatever URL comes in the box. I don't expect the Newbie forum to rank high and in its absence I believe newbies are going to post in General.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qgil
Originally Posted by me
I read the original sticky and like a good soldier did as I was instructed.
Unfortunately a change was made while I was doing my thing. Now there is no mention of the original instructions and I feel like I'm in an episode of the Twilight Zone.
You will survive, will you? With the previous policy your thread was moved and with the new policy you thread has been moved as well to the same location. A big deal?
Oh yeah, I'll survive... What you quoted from me above is not a big deal.

Choosing not to respond to a reasonable request like this...
Originally Posted by me
... for whatever reason, when a change is made, please announce it first. Leave the announcement up afterwords for awhile pretty please.
...for good or ill, could be a big deal to both veteran and newbie alike.

BTW, individual thread views drop dramatically each time a thread is moved. Therefore the longer a thread stays in one place, the more views it receives. The statement I started in this thread with
Wow! I Must have the worst luck...
refers to my posting of a new thread. It was moved with-in hours.

Could an announcement or "Read this" sticky be placed in the old "Newbie" forum at least. I just answered a question in there for a new user...

No one likes to feel they are wasting their time.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
As said, after moving every single new Newbie thread to a better destination I don't see such "Newbie" categorization really exists. Newbies post also in General, N810 and other forums. Many threads starting in Newbies are posted by people that actually are no newbies at all. This is the reality we have now.
You will always have some people posting threads in the wrong place.

It's maemo.org what needs to be improved to receive end users (and not just newbies) better.

- We need to talk about how to expand the planet (which nurtures the news you see in the frontpage).

- We started discussing about Announcements that should not only be posted by Nokia employees about developer related stuff.

- The Intro can be radically changed as soon as maemo.nokia.com and Forum Nokia cover the description of the Maemo platform and its main features.

And more, I agree. Keeping a Newbie forum doesn't solve the problems you are detecting, really.
I concur about maemo.org w/o detailed comments. I comment at length about the forum because I feel I have contributed over the years. As to maemo.org, I'll leave it to you maemo guys.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
This echos some of the discussion that took place when Tablet Scene was announced. We've since seen how segregating newbies to their own site turned out, and I wonder if that provides any lessons in terms of a separate newbie forum here.
The issue with TS isn't so much segregation as it is creating overabundance/ surplus. We not only had the newbie site, but a newbie forum here as well --- 2x. Newbies continued to use the forum here instead of being redirected to TS; so, something had to "give", and in the end, it was TS.

See:
http://www.tabletscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=27272

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Here's a suggestion that will undoubtedly be rejected immediately, but I will make it anyway. Actually, two suggestions:

1) How about amnesty for all users? There wouldn't be need for a Newbie area if people with supposedly dumb questions or who hadn't searched enough weren't treated with contempt. (My unofficial observation is that most users criticized for not searching protest that they DID search -- and I believe they did, just ineffectively.)

2) How about an area colorfully named "free-fire zone"? This would be an area for short easy questions. The thing is, it would be announced at the top of the area that ALL q's and their answers would be deleted after a couple of days.

The purpose of the free-fire zone would be to allow people to post their dumb questions with the understanding that they wouldn't be taken overly seriously -- just answer the damn question. It would be a fun experiment, even if it didn't work. It would be a longer lasting version of a chat session. People could keep an eye on the free-fire zone and items that deserved to be permanent would be moved to the wiki or someplace.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
2) How about an area colorfully named "free-fire zone"? This would be an area for short easy questions. The thing is, it would be announced at the top of the area that ALL q's and their answers would be deleted after a couple of days.
I would definitely go for this, but my understanding of the goal of this new forum structure is to remove the "catch-alls".

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Choosing not to respond to a reasonable request like this... ...for good or ill, could be a big deal to both veteran and newbie alike.
Keep a changelog of ongoing discussions about changes? What about discussing, deciding and executing the changes, leaving the forums in peace after that?

Could an announcement or "Read this" sticky be placed in the old "Newbie" forum at least. I just answered a question in there for a new user...
If you want to write one... I'm still for moving the forum to Old as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by geneven
1) How about amnesty for all users? There wouldn't be need for a Newbie area if people with supposedly dumb questions or who hadn't searched enough weren't treated with contempt. (My unofficial observation is that most users criticized for not searching protest that they DID search -- and I believe they did, just ineffectively.)
This is fully in line with the proposal of rmoving the Newbie forum and being friendly with newbies everywhere. +1

Do you find appealing to answer the same questions every now and then? Anyway, why not starting a sticky thread in General and see if it works? And then creating a forum only if th traffic justifies it.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Keep a changelog of ongoing discussions about changes? What about discussing, deciding and executing the changes, leaving the forums in peace after that?

If you want to write one... I'm still for moving the forum to Old as soon as possible.

This is fully in line with the proposal of rmoving the Newbie forum and being friendly with newbies everywhere. +1

Do you find appealing to answer the same questions every now and then? Anyway, why not starting a sticky thread in General and see if it works? And then creating a forum only if th traffic justifies it.
Do what you want dude... I only asked that you use the tools available to you. (Edit: If not, please see link provided below.) You can post 1 announcement that sticks to the top of every forum and I can't. That's all.

If you don't want to hear it you could always close these threads or move them to the trash.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104714

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-14 at 20:51. Reason: Add Link

Tags
forums, improvement, newbie