Active Topics

Once you've collected the inputted text string, how do you actually send the sms message? What I mean is, which api do you use for that? I thought that was part of Qt Mobility which isnt available yet, is there another way to access the basic phone functions?
Edit: never mind, found it

To answer a question above, the sms conversations are stored on a SQLite3 database (“/home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el.db” if i remember right) so it should be possible to read and write messages from other apps to there.

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-03 at 15:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Here's a patch that gets the buttons looking more like the ones in the phone app:
http://slexy.org/raw/s2EQSbmWP1

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the buttons themselves styled as they need to be in a GtkTable for that.
It's not perfect and it's questionable as to whether you'll wish to apply it. But who knows?
Considering how I got the letters to display in the first place, anything that improves the appearance even slightly that doesn't hender performance is welcome in my book. I'm applying this to my branch until ossi has a chance to look at it in the meantime.

As for table, perhaps that would be the better way to go considering it would make things a bit more uniform. I swore off gtk some years back* so this is technically the only gtk app I've ever contributed to. Perhaps ossi can have a look at that. Alternatively, patches are welcome ;-)

* I find Qt far more intuitive and the rediculously long names in (py)gtk irk me.

[edit]
I'll probably sanitize the variable names before I request for a merge though, qwerty12. ****ing hilarious though.

Last edited by aspidites; 2010-05-03 at 16:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
Considering how I got the letters to display in the first place, anything that improves the appearance even slightly that doesn't hender performance is welcome in my book. I'm applying this to my branch until ossi has a chance to look at it in the meantime.
Stay away from those for loops, then.... The rest should be fine, though.
I wish there was a better way to get to the GtkLabels but the fact that HildonButton doesn't have any methods for retrieving its Labels and that the buttons are not in an array, means I have to use a million for loops to iterate through all the widgets and their children and use eval...

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
* I find Qt far more intuitive and the rediculously long names in (py)gtk irk me.
Looks like we're total opposites, then I <3 GTK+ (though I won't pretend to be competent with it) and using it with Vala makes me feel all giddy

Lol. At any rate, looks like implementing a table instead of boxes will not only be trivial, but will help clean up the code -- and help you help us style the widgets :P

Off topic- you seem to be all over the place when code is discussed qwerty12 -- no wonder your thanks rival your posts. BTW, thanks for cleaning up the print statements, I forgot you could concat strings like that.

[edit]
I've replaced hboxes with tables, but the line that changes button_send's name breaks the button. Without it, the styling is gone, but everything looks normal. I'm going to play a bit with the sizing attributes and see if I can come to a compromise.

[edit 2]
Seems the issue is related to this post, although no one has responded :-(

Similar to the above post, trying to use thumb height causes errors. The only work around as of yet is to go back to hboxes :-S
Attached Images

Last edited by aspidites; 2010-05-03 at 18:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Ok, I sorted through the issues, and now all buttons are properly themed and uniformly shaped:
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
damn its lookin good already! someone package it so we can test!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
damn its lookin good already! someone package it so we can test!
it should work if you have python in your device installed. just download vertsms.py from:
http://www.gitorious.org/vertsms

and at command line

cd /to/the/path/you/downloaded/vertsms/to/
python vertsms.py
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by neboja View Post
@ ossipena: one question:
does sms from your program store somewhere (maybe store all together in conversations)???????
that is in todo-list. it only sends the sms and no trace is left nowhere unless you are logging dbus activities...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Here is just simple mockup

- Padding between buttons
- arrows to move, send button to different place so you do not accidentally push it when texting (was too close to 8, 7, 0)

portrait SMS screens from other touch phones:
http://www.tecfre.com/uploads/2008/1...0_tube_sms.jpg
http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/...w-part-1-1.jpg
http://www.infonokia.pl/agrocms/tmp_...ssmusic-29.jpg
http://blog.smub.it/wp-content/uploa...iphone-sms.jpg

Last edited by slender; 2010-05-04 at 08:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
great work !!! keep it on this app is a dream for n900 users

Tags
portrait sms, python