Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by pasih View Post
Maybe this has been posted here already (although I couldn't find it) but our dear mobile gossip-king Eldar is saying that someone tipped him that Elop is under investigation by Nokia board about his behaviour with leaking:

"Pure rumour. I havent 2nd confirmation. Nokia board ask (or start?) internal investigation about Stephen Elop steps in role of Nokia CEO.

"The reason of internal investigation possible manipulation (N9 and WP7 device leak). If anyone have some info, plz share. Tnx in advance..."

https://twitter.com/#!/eldarmurtazin...75394945097728

Could be completely bogus either from Eldar or from someone pranking him. But nevertheless pretty interesting in the light of thoughts expressed by Tomi Ahonen.
With a leak of that magnitude any CEO would be questioned about how this could happen. But at this stage, I believe Nokia would be better off without Elop. The dirty work has already been done, the massive dead weight at Nokia has been sacked, the N9 is a success even long before it starts selling (and this is all over the web). WP may or may not be a success, I believe it most certainly will. The "next billion" is probably already carved in stone by now, and Ovi is steaming forward like nothing has happened.

The board are asking themselves, what are Nokias assets TODAY. The answer is Ovi, it is the N9, it is S40/S30, it is the next billion. They see a CEO that is seemingly downplaying all that for the sake of WP. Even though the board hired him specifically to create an ecosystem with MS and to slim down the company, his toad like behaviour is not beneficial for Nokia any more.

It sure as hell will be fun to watch how this unfolds in the coming months

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Nokia's main markets are indeed China and India, not the UAE.. (I said that)
Why I am not suprised?

I read through the latest Eldar's tweets and these caught my attention:

23 hrs ago:
Selop will resign soon

21 hrs ago:
1. Another piece of puzzle. Nokia landed order for WP7 handset to Compal accordinr to digitimes. They even not used own plants. Weird? No

2. As we know Nokia havent customization for WP7 or any unique features. Now they arent used own production. What thats mean? see #3

3. Nokia trying to secure production of WP7 handests. If they going to sell company, they secure WP7 production. Thats an explanation

4. Thats work which Elop did. Funny thing that Compal will deliver 4.5 mln smartphones in 2011, 125k for Nokia

Question from mobilesguji and answer from Eldar (after the tweets about Nokia outsourcing WP7-manufacturing):

mobilesguruji Ankush Kala
@eldarmurtazin so you mean if Microsoft buys the Nok then there would be lag in the production due antitrust commission and other issues...

eldarmurtazin Eldar Murtazin
@mobilesguruji yes

Another question from mobilesguji and answer from Eldar:

mobilesguruji Ankush Kala
@eldarmurtazin is there any chance that MeeGo comes back if WP7 fails and Msoft doesn't buy Nokia...

eldarmurtazin Eldar Murtazin
@mobilesguruji not for Nokia i think. Not with Elop

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pasih For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pasih View Post
I read through the latest Eldar's tweets and these caught my attention:

23 hrs ago:
Selop will resign soon
oh please please pleeeease be true!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mohannad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by larux View Post
My guess is that new "S40" will be like N9 but without possibility for tweaking. Swipe OS is so dead simple and works with 1 ghz hardware..
Dude, S40. Nokia is bringing S40 to "the next billion" who could not yet afford having cell phones with internet capabilities. Lowest end phones. They are not going to be surfing around with powerful 1 ghz processors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
What's the point in celebrating his resignation?

Here's another conspiracy theory:

Nokia's board of directors was already set on selling the company to M$. The deal was already sealed, and all they had to do was find some way to make it happen... Namely, work around the antitrust commission.

The alleged billions that M$ was injecting into Nokia were to compensate for a share tanking that would take place, purposefully, on the design of both parties, so that antitrust commissions would have a convincing argument that the joining of both M$ and Nokia (henceforth referred to as No-Win) was not the case of two giants joining up, but rather, a much larger company buying a once thriving now failing one.

Elop would play his role as the man behind the share's freefall, the board of directors would get their money in advance, in exchange for not doing a thing while they watched their company sink, M$ would buy the then-failing company, everyone would get a frakkload of bucks, no handsets would spread Linux to desktop stations like wildfire, and that would be it.

Any thoughts on the above?

The Following User Says Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Dude, S40. Nokia is bringing S40 to "the next billion" who could not yet afford having cell phones with internet capabilities. Lowest end phones. They are not going to be surfing around with powerful 1 ghz processors.
You are seriously wrong. New S40 Touch UI + Qt are aimed at Mid-Low end to replace Symbian+S40 TT Ui. You will see. S30 phones are for lowest category, use google to see difference. I mean S40.

So far, nothing has indicated that Eldar's been well informed about the buyouts. He did predict (a few days after Elopocalypse) the stocks would keep dropping like crazy though, and they have been.

The article quotes elsewhere said that Nokia stock is now $22 billion, a buyout would be $30 bln. Frankly, that's not a lot - but at the same time the Nokia house is collapsing a little more every day so the rest of the smart (dynamic, doers) employees and the buyers base will all be gone soon.

Originally Posted by larux View Post
You are seriously wrong. New S40 Touch UI + Qt are aimed at Mid-Low end to replace Symbian+S40 TT Ui. You will see. S30 phones are for lowest category, use google to see difference. I mean S40.
That's what I got from the Keynote, they clearly said that next billion = S40. Remember, Nokia is simplifying. S40 takes over for all that isn't Microsoft phones.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Not exactly S40 is on average between 100-150e

There is lowest category, which is around 20-30e (you might have never seen such device). This is what sells on Africa and some of the Asia.

Tags
elop is nero, elopocalypse, king tomi, nero fiddling