Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
zerojay, tired of doing what?
reading their posts? just ignore it..
trying to convince them of your way of thinking? well good luck there..
Oh, I know there's no way to convince them of that once they've gone over to the dark side.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I don't think the tablets are in the exact same space at the moment, nor do I think they are intended to be. I don't know why people keep kneejerking to comparisons that are only fractionally relevant.

I'm damn glad to see this, though. It can only help grow the multipurpose device markets.
It's not the exact same space, but it's pretty damned close and people that would have considered the N800 because "it's a media player and can browse the internet" now have, arguably, a far far better (and cheaper) choice (I bet the iPod Touch won't corrupt/destroy it's 16GB of built-in flash memory either!)

For those that want *more* than what the iPod Touch offers the Nokia Internet Tablets are still an option but I would wager that Apple will sell *millions* of iPod Touches and, since they offer pretty much the same functionality that Nokia has been offering for the last 9 months, you have to wonder where it went wrong for Nokia. Why is it that Apple get glowing reviews for a $400 audio/video player with web browser, while Nokia were accused of selling "a toy" with "no real purpose" which achieved the same thing? Obviously it's not all about hardware, but software and marketing too in which case it all comes down to overall execution, and Apple will out-execute most firms on the planet. Nokia's own in-fighting, ineptitude (even arrogance) hasn't helped matters - they still have a chance to salvage something, but not very much.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
E-ville makes exactly the right analogy: the Sony PSP is as closed as game hardware could be, yet it enjoys a tremendous hacker community putting all sorts of emulators and titles on it. Apple has never been as tough on hackers as Sony has been (see existing Apple TV and Linux-on-iPod hacks), of course, that could change -- but is unlikely and sets the tone as to what can happen on the platform.
Actually, Sony's warm and kind to the homebrew community and have been since the days of the original Playstation. Stuff like NetYaroze and the PS2 Linux kit have always been supported by Sony. Hell, including direct support for Linux in the PS3 is proof of that. They know that people want to hack around and have fun on their machines and work on homebrew which is why they support it.

The reason why they are tough on the PSP is because, unlike the PS3, there isn't really a sandbox that the users can play in. If you are running homebrew, you are most likely running in kernel mode, which means you can brick your PSP if you run the wrong homebrew program. That's what Sony's main concern is. Containing piracy is also something they care a lot about, for obvious reasons. Because there's not really a way to separate the two on the PSP, they have to be covering everything just simply to protect their users and their licensees. Unfortunately homebrewers are lumped into it because there's no separation. Sony knows and is planning on fixing that... though it's entirely possible that it's too late for the original model. Perhaps with the new slim, we can have that separation and therefore they can allow homebrew.

Anyways... that's enough of a tangent.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
"What the iPod touch does is cement the Internet Tablet to the Linux-fan and computer-hobbyist markets only.
Not necessarily. That depends on Nokia of course. Granted, early-adopters have every reason to be pessimistic, but if they only knew what I know...

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I know. It's like with the whole iPhone thing. Everyone was saying "omg, I'm getting an iPhone" and "Nokia better watch out!" and "Nokia's going to die". I'm so tired of it, especially since the iPhone barely made a dent in anything.
The iPhone might not have a made a dent because it's relatively expensive, locked to one service provider and limited to the USA.

The iPod Touch on the other hand is reasonably cheap (8GB/$299 and 16GB/$399) and, by the end of September, will be available in more or less every country on the planet (more countries than, for example, the Nokia N800!)

Not necessarily. That depends on Nokia of course. Granted, early-adopters have every reason to be pessimistic, but if they only knew what I know...
do share, plzzzzz.

To be honest, Nokia should quit keeping their future plans secret - it's not helping them by keeping secret stuff which will be exciting in 6 months time... between then and now, everyone will be buying iPod Touches, only the geek hardcore will stick with the N800 and we already own our devices!

I strongly suspect that N800 sales have now peaked and may tail off quite dramatically. Nokia need to become more open about what is coming in order to sustain momentum behind the N800 and the Maemo platform - keeping secrets isn't going to achieve that.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Like I said earlier, Nokia the time has come to dazzle us or step aside.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Northern California
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Actually, Sony's warm and kind to the homebrew community
ROFL!

But on topic, Nokia has really pissed me off with their IT ****ups, but Apple makes them look downright friendly by comparison. When Apple's SDK comes out, this will be a more serious competitor though.

Why does everyone talk about apple stealing market share from the N800? I've never viewed the ipod line of products to be that similar to the N800. Let's be realistic here, the N800 doesn't have the fan base or the hype as the ipod products.
The ipod has a lot of people purchasing as impulse buys. Seems to be that a lot of the people on this board did their homework prior to buying. There maybe some impulse buyers at the launch of the N800, but never to the extent of the ipods.

The people that purchased an N800 probably have an ipod type product and may even be lucky enough to have an iphone. My wife has the iphone, and she loves it, but it's simplistic in what it does. I don't visit any ipod forums to find out what I can do extra with it. It is set in stone what I can do, and after a couple of hours I am done. With the N800 I visit this site more than I wish to say, just to see what new items I could add to the nokia. I wish there was a way for me to help support the developers for this device, but until there is a base like handango for Palm, I don't know if that will ever be possible.