Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Well, I nominate Dave999
No you don't!
He'll call it a scam...
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
Again, I am very sorry if I hurt anybodys feeling by not nominating or putting anybody in the row of my 'mentionees'.
But you know, thankfully I'm not the one to decide who's valid and dignified...

Did you realize this was probably your first post where you were being almost straight objective? - Usually you have a strong tendency to pull your readers into your mindset and what to think of your findings.
But now that you mentioned it, where exactly did you confirm your candidacy in your post, which sentence?

And while I agree or thank you for some posts, I personally and generally find your posts tedious to read and hard to grasp what you're trying to say for different reasons and I'm sure I'm not alone since I'm not the only non-native. Here's why:
- Your posts are way too long
- You rarely write complete sentences
- Way too many uhs, ohs and punctuation marks (you know...... what I mean???!!!)
- Way too many slang (U no wad ima talkin'bout, dontcha?)
- You're using many effigies, likenesses, allegories that are only known to natives and insiders of whatever kind (chanooks probably?)
- You're using many and also uncommon adverbs and adjectives (to give your comments a certain tint?)
- It feels like you're always hypothesizing your readers agree 100% (what if they don't)?
- and it sucks if all the above already manifests in your thread titles...

Now that's just me. But I felt it from the point you surfaced here. I always waited for someone else to mention that somewhere but that either didn't happen or I didn't notice. I'm sorry this 'sort of a topic' (which again is my very personal one and shouldn't be yours really) condenses in this thread...

With all that said, rest assured that you are, even in my eyes still, a very dignified candidate. Good will is key for that and I guess it's safe to say you have plenty of that.
You now officially have my vote!
You couldn't have said it better. While I have no problems with endsormeans as a person, I find his posts hard to read because the very reasons you mentioned. It lacks straightforward sentences and some formal formatting. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against endormeans as person.
Many times I just skip his posts, because of the way it is written. When I do read them, there's most of the time nothing wrong with the message("inhalt").
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@endsormeans:

I'd only wish to stress that whenever somebody mentions a number of names it doesn't necessarily mean that all others are excluded or opposed or anything. It happens very frequently that you e.g. thank a number of people (like on a dissertation or such). Sometimes you add "and all those who(m) I've forgotten to mention" or whatever but IMHO we here in the Maemo community don't need to formally cover all cases (we're not diplomats!) and I think we all can take a bit of criticism without feeling insulted (we're not the T...ish president FFS!).

As for your writing style.. that's a personal matter. We have no rules or guidelines regarding that, but of course each one of us is free to like or not like how people write. But I think that's not the issue here.

Look at it this way: you've been *nominated* by *wicket*
That's TWO honors in my book.
So go and accept the nomination before it's too late.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
now i got a question.

I sent my canditure to maemo-community@maemo.org some minutes ago but it does not show up in the log and i did not recieve it myself, though i recieved reinobs post yesterday.

I have some issues with the mailadress i registered being recognized as spam...
Can someone give advice what to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I have some issues with the mailadress i registered being recognized as spam...
What do you mean exactly? an e-mail address cannot be spam, only the content of an e-mail can be spam.

AFAIK only e-mails sent with a registered address are accepted. Maybe you can just sign up with another e-mail address and send the e-mail from there?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I do not know what mosen means, but my acceptance email has just bounced:

Code:
Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
From 	Mail Delivery SystemAdd contact 	Date 	Today 11:42
<- <<- ->   []

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

maemo-community@maemo.org
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<maemo-community@maemo.org>:
    host mail.maemo.org [213.128.137.23]: 550 5.7.1 <maemo-community@maemo.org>:
    Recipient address rejected: Mail appeared to be SPAM or forged. Ask your Mail/DNS-Administrator to correct HELO and DNS MX settings or to get removed from DNSBLs; MTA helo:
    mailscan1.extendcp.co.uk, MTA hostname: mailscan38.extendcp.co.uk[176.32.230.32] (helo/hostname mismatch)

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
<snip>
An overly aggressive spam filter? It seems to complain about the mismatch between helo and hostname, as if anyone should care.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I do not know what mosen means, but my acceptance email has just bounced:

Code:
Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
From 	Mail Delivery SystemAdd contact 	Date 	Today 11:42
<- <<- ->   []

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

maemo-community@maemo.org
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<maemo-community@maemo.org>:
    host mail.maemo.org [213.128.137.23]: 550 5.7.1 <maemo-community@maemo.org>:
    Recipient address rejected: Mail appeared to be SPAM or forged. Ask your Mail/DNS-Administrator to correct HELO and DNS MX settings or to get removed from DNSBLs; MTA helo:
    mailscan1.extendcp.co.uk, MTA hostname: mailscan38.extendcp.co.uk[176.32.230.32] (helo/hostname mismatch)

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
<snip>
An overly aggressive spam filter? It seems to complain about the mismatch between helo and hostname, as if anyone should care.
E-mail systems do care about such things. The HELO address should resolve the same IP the MTA is connecting with. I assume you don't own extendcp.co.uk, but it doesn't seem to be doing the right thing.

See RFC2821 (item 4.1.1.1).

I suppose our techstaff set-up policyd-weight on the postfix server, which checks this sort of things. In principle it's a good thing as the maemo mailing lists were receiving lots of spam.

Chemist & co. care to comment on this?

EDIT: I've sent a note to techstaff asking for clarification.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
What do you mean exactly?
i use selfhosted email and the server i sent from seems to be blacklisted via DNSBLs due to historic malware/spambot infection :/

I second pichlos thought, maybe the spam detection is a bit aggressive since i have very few problems with that adress/server otherwise.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
@all,

Pending clarification re. mailing list I propose -- and I don't expect an issue with this -- that people send their e-mail also to council@maemo.org as well as at least to one of the council members themselves (e.g. to myself).

My e-mail address is bernardo followed by an (optional, because gmail.com doesn't care) dot and then reino, at the provider just mentioned.

I can then "vouch" for having received a valid e-mail, which I will also forward to the list, to close the loop so to speak.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
E-mail systems do care about such things. The HELO address should resolve the same IP the MTA is connecting with. I assume you don't own extendcp.co.uk, but it doesn't seem to be doing the right thing.
FWIW, I have sent the same email to my work address and our otherwise quite strict spam filter did not even wink.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: