Active Topics

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
ouch.

I agree, and would personally use 'vi' as well... but if the user isn't familiar with 'vi' it's like handing the keys to a log chipper to a 5-year old and telling them to figure it out -- they might get the job done, or they might feed their arm into the chipper (or, perhaps, both).

Code:
vi /etc/hostname    (and hit <Enter>)
...you'll need to do that as root, since the user account does not have sufficient privileges to modify this file...

once in the vi editor:

the 'j' key will move the cursor down a line; the 'k' key will move the cursor up a line.

the 'h' key will move the cursor left one character; the 'l' key will move the cursor right one character.

using the 'j','k','h', and 'l' keys, move the cursor to the first letter of the current hostname in that file.

hit the letter 'i' to put vi into "insert mode".

type in the new name (the old name will still be there). when you've finished typing in the new name, hit the <Esc> key to exit "insert mode".

move the cursor to the first letter of the old hostname (after you've hit <Esc> to exit "insert mode", you'll probably only need to hit the 'l' key one time to be in the proper position).

Once you're positioned on the first character of the old hostname, hit the capital letter 'D', and it will delete to the end of the line (thus erasing the old hostname).

Hit the ':' key (not semi-colon, colon!) to put vi into "command mode", and then type 'wq' and hit <Enter>. vi will "write" the changes you've made to the file, and "quit" back to the command prompt.

Last edited by briand; 2008-12-09 at 15:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to briand For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Thanks for the 'vi' guide, briand. I made the incorrect assumption that using vi was straightforward for most people.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Thanks for the 'vi' guide, briand. I made the incorrect assumption that using vi was straightforward for most people.
HA HA, HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it (this is coming from a long time programmer& vi lover, btw)
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Mine is The Slab, for somewhat obvious reasons.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
As of a few weeks ago:
Code:
Lady_Silence :: Nokia N810 WiMax Edition running OS2008 with XOHM
Kenneth Foreman (promethh@xohm.com)
foremank@silence's password:
Linux Lady_Silence 2.6.21-omap1 #2 Tue Sep 2 10:13:14 EEST 2008 armv6l unknown

foremank@Lady_Silence:~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mtdblock4 4.1M 3.5M 624.0k 85% /mnt/initfs
none 512.0k 120.0k 392.0k 23% /mnt/initfs/tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 249.4M 192.9M 56.5M 77% /
none 512.0k 120.0k 392.0k 23% /tmp
none 1.0M 60.0k 964.0k 6% /dev
tmpfs 1.0M 0 1.0M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 1.8G 1.1G 777.2M 59% /media/mmc2
/dev/mmcblk1p1 7.6G 1.1G 6.5G 14% /media/mmc1
If anyone else is a Dan Simmons fan, perhaps you might recognize "Lady Silence" from his latest novel, The Terror. Lady Silence is an esquimaux woman who is silent, as she had her tonque bitten out by the Tuunbaq, but remains incredibly powerful and revered in esquimaux lore.

"Silent, small, and powerful" seemed appropriate for a WiMAX-enabled N810.
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

Last edited by promethh; 2008-12-09 at 18:28. Reason: the more I work in system engineering, the worse my grammar becomes. I sp34k t3h *****. :(

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Must be a French thing that : mine are 770FPP, N800FPP, N810FPP and E51FPP.
Huh. I'm not French, but it seems I've been playing a French person on Bluetooth: SGadsby.T5, SGadsby.N800, SGadsby.N810, SGadsby.i875, and SGadsby.1501.

Mine is "Handy" well because it is ....

Hand-y

Nathan

Maer; I've got an Old Norse thing going on my network.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
One can run GNU Nano...

DrTheopolis because that's immediately what he reminded me of. Not only does that make my N810 smarter than me (he is a doctor, after all) but that make me Twiki since I carry DrTheopolis around with me everywhere I go. Obviously this naming convention leaves MUCH to be desired.

I used to have a CzarX naming convention under which the phone was CzarMobile the NIT was CzarTablet etc. however while functional it just seemed ... lacking.

Me and my N810.

Tags
device, hostname