Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
In essence:

Stay in blue-pill mode, install this deb and install minigps.

(I guess things are kept in the SDK repo & hidden for a reason but this package is a gem and I can't find anything dangerous here).
pardon my ignorance (I'm still a new N810 user) but after clicking and installing the above link, I do not find minigpsd in the list of installable apps. Did I miss something?

minigpsd is still in beta and is changing so isn't in the repository. You will have to install it using the deb files.

The problem is that even if I have something listed as a dependency in the deb control file which is only visible in red pill, I could not get it to be pulled in automatically.

If you can come up with a meta-package (and instructions) that just has it as a dependency for bluez-utils-test and will work in blue pill I would like to see it and would really prefer to use that instead. I tried. I can't figure it out. All I get is broken dependencies (Problems tab).

Another problem is if the other repositories aren't in the list, then even apt-get can't install the package.

The choice of user/* or somethingelse/* might be arbitrary. I see plenty of libraries and deep-in-the OS stuff in blue pill mode. Things which aren't top level user applications. There are lots of useful utilities only visible in red-pill (mostly console, but that doesn't make them libraries, developer, or system threatening - and I have to read how-to-use for the most hildonized applications just as much as traceroute).

So there was some not very well defined line between user and developer and tool/sdk/utility, a bunch of repositories, most need to be manually added anyway, each being a kludge because something is on the wrong side of that line.

I don't have any of these troubles (nor do the people who aren't sophisticated) under Ubuntu. There's the maintained packages, then there's universe, and no multiple flavors of depositories (though there are different releases - Ibex is still beta so some things in there won't be in Heron or the release). There's no red-pill mode to make packages visible (but not backed up, or otherwise silently deprecated). And the package managers actually work well and fast.

So, no I don't understand, or I do understand but it doesn't really make sense. Other than when something gets "red-pill"-ed, it is in a limbo - it won't be community maintained or available, and it will never be visible except in a very broken fashion in red-pill mode.

If you have a clear explanation on why something is blue pill or red pill (based on what is actually there in each mode, not based on how things should be), I would like to hear it.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
The alternative to red-pill is apt-get? I know that Application Manager keeps a separate set of data than apt-get and I've heard that bad things happen if you mix and match. And they have in practice. Application manager is supposed to keep track of packages for a backup and restore after flash. apt-get doesn't. For that matter red-pill mode doesn't.

As I mentioned, Ubuntu and debian (and every other deb based distribution I've used) don't have a concept of "red pill". Many have a user front end, but it actually causes more confusion and possible damage to try to manage packages two different ways.

And I think part of the problem is "red-pill" is a catch-all. Instead of being able to just make other packages visible and installable, it also enables a half-dozen other things in Application Manager. All-or-none.

So we have the Padded Cell version of application manager or the Obstacle Course version of application manager and nothing in between, so if there is ever any question of where something might go (package or feature), it ends up in the obstacle course mode just because no one wants to take a chance. And once there it can never be redeemed.

There is no middle "power user" setting. Perhaps there should be.

minigpsd is a LINUX platform project and not simply a maemo project.

I do try to do things by the rules. The problem is if the rules make it impossible for me to win, then there is no reason I should waste my time. I do have a maemo garage project. There are an annoying number of things I have to do to try to submit the project and I've gone through all but the submission step, but BECAUSE it is dependent on bluez-utils-tools, and as far as I know that will never be installable by the application manager (sans red-pill), why bother going the maemo route?

The deb is available from the Maemo pool so there may not be any reason to mirror it:

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...sso4_armel.deb

And I assume the browser and app manager can install it from there, but it is still a manual process.

Application manager keeps telling me it can't install things (especially upgrades it says it wants to install) because of dependencies (including ones that apt-get or dpkg says the correct version is already installed), Won't fetch visible depenencies, installs fail without telling me why.

I've tried following all the rules before and it is still broken. I can't even do the flash or the distribution upgrades right (ON A CLEAN JUST REFLASHED UNIT! And with the other broken behavior it takes several hours simply to return to the state I had it in even if it worked - I have two tablets and no matter what I do I can't make it work, and yes, I've read everything that is there, but it doesn't help).

Maybe I'm confused, but since Diablo came out I can't even get it to work right just upgrading from the reflash (not red pill and without installing anything new) when everything is normal.

(Sorry to continue to hijack my own thread, but I wish someone at Nokia or Maemo would actually do something about the situation - they tell me I'm not playing by the rules, but their installer or repositories or something is badly broken from the start)

OK, on my "other tablet", an n800, I just reflashed back to the RX34-Diablo image and didn't restore anything - no memory cards in the system so it should be back to factory or very close. I did the two feature updates (first map/feature, which rebooted, then a second feature, which also rebooted).

I then enabled then disabled the extras repository.

With the "extras" enabled, apparently all of these are "user":

bash2 bzip2 gnuzip gnutar gpesyncd iptables-ext iptraf libzlibrary openssh rootsh rsync unzip unrar vim zip zip3.

Disabling "extras" still left the can't-install "maemo-mapper-topomaps-fi", and the can install but why "libuiw".

No red pill, just flash-to-factory, upgrade (reboot), upgrade (reboot), enable extras (caused update), browse list, disable extras (caused update), browse list.

Works wonderfully and makes perfect sense.

Last edited by tz1; 2008-10-17 at 13:31. Reason: n800, not 810

i have no idea what the point of last post was, but uploading all needed packages to extras with correct depencies will solve installation problems. Application manager is designed so that applications are installed from repositories (as all package managers are.

And I also agree that all packages from tools repository should be moved to extras repository

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Interesting this allows a faster lock than stock GPSd!

How can I easily replace the stock GPSd with this program without noticing any difference? In other words, still use the stock artwork in the statusbar? And using the same server, also for A-GPS?

Why must I read a whole thread and then still not understand such basic messages. This information should be in the first post. (This is a general complaint about this forum not specifically your fault.)

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ South Bend IN
Wow, I didn't really mean to spark that much controversy. I just wanted to have GA give us the rules, and hopefully point to where those rules are posted. He explained his stance, which is helpful in avoiding some of this issue in the future, but does not take care of the underlying issue. It ties back to my original statement that these should not be in a separate repository. If they aren't for normal user eyes, don't put them in a user/* category, put them in a sdk/* category. If they are unstable, put them in extras-devel, if they are stable put them in extras. There is no reason to code the apps' functionality into your project, and you can't (or shouldn't) always redistribute the components with your package. So, if a programmer needs access to an SDK tool, why not let them pull it in just like any other "hidden" dependency? If I list python as a prereq, the application manager finds the python package and installs it (which is why we have the crazy instruction to install a python app in order to install python itself).

I, personally, won't discuss this issue further in this thread. It should either be in another thread, or a discussion with the powers that be.

So, back on topic:
I ran into an odd issue, and I cannot pin down if it is related or not. After I installed minigpsd, and a few other things, I noticed that my battery icon stopped animating. It was static when charging, disappeared when the screen turned off, and didn't seem to change levels without reseting the tablet. I decided to start uninstalling things that I had recently installed, at which point I noticed I was also missing the animated circle in the "Updating" System note messages. So over 3 days, I uninstalled every thing I had recently installed, and a few extra packages that I didn't use and thought would have a chance at touching system files. I still had the issues. I stopped doing anything to the system after restarting following the last uninstall, I didn't even restart again. I ran the Notes app once, and mCalendar once the next day, and not much else (I was at a seminar all day). When I got home, the animations worked fine on there own. minigpsd was the last thing I un-installed, but from the behavior I don't know that it caused my issues.

Has any one else experienced anything similar, or did my tablet just loose its mind for a few days?

I been runing minigpsd for a few weeks now with updates from tz1 and my tablet has been fine . And i have a ton of Sh## on my tablet . My bat icon is fine so is the rest of my stuff. I do not run a lot of desktop stuff as it slows down my tablet like rss feeds and stuff like that .

As for minigpsd as I posted befor it has been great it works 100% now . And gps locks in fast .

If you are not using bluetooth remove the macs address from the conf . It seems that if my bluetooth is on and it's searching for something that is not there it slows the crap out of the system .

Maybe thats what happen with your battery icon . Bluetooth was killing your system . Check your setings and then reboot and start minigpsd . Hope this helps

Bugs on minigpsd or just my setup ?
On my N810 I can't seem to edit the setings from the minigpsd status bar icon . However I can start and stop fine from there .

I can edit my setings from TZGPS setup just fine .

So thats not much of a bug to me .

I did find that I can't use some GPS Programs with minigpsd .

Programs that I have tested and are working are !

maemo mapper
MAPS
HIKE

Software THATS IS NOT WORKING WITH MINIGPSD !

gpscamera "Buggy Program anyways "
GPSView " I wish it Worked !"
Speedometer

Thanks
Computerfreek

TZ1 Great work .. I will be sending you something for your hard work and adding gpsgate for me . Thanks

Tags
gps, obd2