Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by titan View Post
Hi
since P1.1 it has been impossible to flash your self-compiled kernel
as the tool fiasco-gen was missing
It has always been possible; only without fiasco-gen you couldn't create the self-flashing .deb package -- you are forced to use flasher's -k option.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-02-07 at 16:14.

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I've just uploaded new packages to the non-free section of extras-devel (the free section is impossible as autobuilder doesn't have fiasco-gen yet).
I reverted to "optimize for speed" (as in the Nokia kernel) due to instabililties and added unionfs.

Last edited by titan; 2010-02-10 at 12:42. Reason: unionfs

request: I'm looking for a kernel with either nilfs2 or LogFS support, and the tools for making partitions with either FS, or something similar. can anyone help

edit: ext3 on my mmc seems to get stuck in read only mode in the middle of a large file transfer for no apparent reason. that and for some reason, formats but doesn't like ext4

Last edited by GI jack; 2010-02-11 at 00:39.

after reading http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7345/ I'm curious how well NILFS2 would perform on the N900.
NILFS2 is now in the new kernel and I've uploaded nilfs-tools, iozone3 and postmark to extras-devel.
please test it.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I've just uploaded new packages to the non-free section of extras-devel (the free section is impossible as autobuilder doesn't have fiasco-gen yet).
I reverted to "optimize for speed" (as in the Nokia kernel) due to instabililties and added unionfs.
Do you mean you reverted to optimize for size?

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Do you mean you reverted to optimize for size?
oops - typo. yes, you're correct.
I still the have problem that shutdown leads to a reboot - getbootstate tells me "unexpected reboot"

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
I don't get it. There is nothing there but a list of a few developers from 2008. Where is the project/info/meat? The svn is 18 months old and just some empty folders. What's the background?
The background is that there was this idea of gathering kernel patches from various sources before they get lost. Also various people built kernels only with some features and users were torn between choices of which kernel to flash to get desired mix of functionality.

That;s why I created this project, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rs/38762#38762 (and links inside for more background)

Sadly (as hinted in the announcement) my spare time is limited and others who joined look busy too. I planned to move all my kernel stuff from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/ there (next time when I do something) and then also add stuff done by other people but I was hit by Real Life and never fully recovered :-)

Maybe there are better choices than garage now for such project (are there?) but still I think that definitely there should be some coordination between people building kernels so users can use just one community kernel and developers know about other people's patches.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2010-02-11 at 15:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Maybe there are better choices than garage now for such project (are there?) but still I think that definitely there should be some coordination between people building kernels so users can use just one community kernel and developers know about other people's patches.
I second that: a community kernel, where everything that is missing from the stock kernel could go (PPTP, IPTABLES, more filesystems support, etc).

Then, it would be easier.to generate simple howtos: "Grab the community kernel, enable such and such modules, etc".

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Estonia
I still the have problem that shutdown leads to a reboot - getbootstate tells me "unexpected reboot"
same problem with yebbas kernel.
btw bricked my n900 two times. hint for others - don't forget to install kernel-modules.

Originally Posted by zod View Post
same problem with yebbas kernel.
btw bricked my n900 two times. hint for others - don't forget to install kernel-modules.
I'm going to build a kernel with the default Nokia configuration to check whether
it's a general problem with kernels build within scratchbox.
My kernel-flasher-maemo package depends on the kernel and modules packages,
so it's impossible to forget the modules. It also doesn't overwrite the stock modules
so that you can revert by just reflashing the stock kernel.