Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Markkyboy View Post
What more needs to be said?, why the thread?, it is so pointless.
I could not disagree more. The thread title is, "what n900/maemo can do and sailfish can't". That is just as relevant today as it was in December 2014 when the thread started. Minor off-topic digressions into the relative merits of the respective companies are insignificant.

To give just one example of what one can do that the other one can't: for me, the switch from the N900 to the Jolla meant the end of developing mobile apps. The only way I could do any development at all is on the device itself. The combination of the N900's hardware design and Maemo's UI and overall paradigm made that a piece of cake. Jolla and Sailfish throw obstacles in my way on every step, to the point that developing on the device is next to impossible.

The messages are loud and clear.
Maemo: "Come here, we welcome you with open arms!"
Sailfish: "Buzz off, we don't want you here!"

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
+1

Originally Posted by pichlo
The messages are loud and clear.Maemo: "Come here, we welcome you with open arms!"Sailfish: "Buzz off, we don't want you here!"
A bit over the top but true in the end.
If we would have a PR1.4 (or higher) of Maemo and maybe a bit more HW specs there woulx be no milli second for me to smash the other and take back my beloved.

But as we all know this will not happen. At least HW-wise, maybe SW-wise (Leste).
And as long as it goes this way I will stay with Sailfish (nb: SFOS, not Jolla)

Let's see...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I still grab my N900 if I'm going to a meeting where I'm gonna need to use a spreadsheet for something, usually finance-related. I don't believe there's anything yet available on Sailfish to do something like that.

Come to think of it, I could do basic Present Value, Future Value, payment calculations on my old Handspring Visor. Don't remember if it was stock palm calculator or a Handspring enhancement, but that little feature was one of two reasons that it wasn't till the N900 that a phone fully replaced the Palm.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: