Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I wonder how the 1,6 GHz and 3,100 battery will be compared to note 1. I guess almost the same battery time.

Hands on:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/s...e-ii-hands-on/

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-08-29 at 18:38.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hmmm.... Looks good. Not quite as curvy as SG 3. Hands on video indicates snappy response. 2GB RAM, Quad core, etc. Very tempting...

EDIT: You can pre order from Mobile City online $699.99...

Last edited by mscion; 2012-08-29 at 18:06.

I've noticed that Quadcores use more power than Dualcores, despite all the "marketing". There's just unnecessary horsepower actively on. There isn't even a custom governor to take advantage of it. There's barely any good custom governor's for a dual-core (lulzactiv pegasusq interactivX etc). So a Quadcore with 3,100mAh should use about the same as Dualcore with 2,500mAh when running at the same Voltage (not the frequency). However, because the new chips are made on 32nm die-shrink, we can expect the NOTE-2 to have a small advantage. I'm guessing maybe 10% extra, or maybe an additional 1hour till discharge.
Performance wise they're equal. There's just nothing pushing them to properly make use of the 1GB or more RAM, or Apps.

So what does the NOTE-2 bring to the table?
New software. Slightly faster operation. Slightly longer endurance. Slightly better pen. NFC. Proprietary MHL connector.

Things to ask!
Is the new screen PenTile (probably) or RGB?
Replaceable battery (probably).
microSD expandability (probably).
GLONASS (probably not).
USB-OTG, more voltage to port (?), better compatibility? (probably)
LTE/variants, price, release date, availability.

Other things you should know!
NOTE2 could have better development history than NOTE1.
NOTE2 will (probably) be supported further in long-term.
NOTE2's software can come to NOTE1, make them equals.
HTC is rumoured to make a NOTE2 competitor, they probably will use a SLCD2-IPS-RGB, 5in-HD screen, Quad-S4, 2GB RAM, 3A non-removable battery, N-Trig's DuoSense-4000

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
I just want to know price and availability. I'm thinking of carrying a Note but I'm not sure whether I want to wait or pick up the old Note for cheap now.

GS Note-2 looks tempting. The only thing that disappointed me resolution. In initial rumors they stated that it will have a resolution of 1680 X 1050. But not its even less than GS Note-1

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
I'm pretty excited about gn2, the biggest concern is the size. I tried the gn1 and it felt humongous, but I'm sure I would get past that in a jiffy.

I read the pen got 1024 pressure points wich should make drawing alot more N900/mypaint'ish, wich is cool and one reason I would get it. Great portable canvas size.

I hope rooting comes fast and easy so sixaxis controller will work on it. The down side of rooting is the flashing counter on the device will show 1 and void the warranty. Anyway gaming with a ps3 controller on it and be able to map it to gameloft/ea games is another reason to get it.

It's not an award winning design, but still good looking and in this type of device I'm more for functionality than design as on my N9 I'm leaning more to design than functionality (functionality=what I need a phone to be able to do).

Dousan...

e: so is it pentile or rgb matrix, can't really figure that out and not sure if I even care, it wont ve a deal breaker wirh a pentile matrix...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-08-30 at 13:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
I had a look at it.
It's a hybrid. The screen's pixels don't share pixels, so its technically not PenTile.
But on close examination, it isn't your typical RGB either.

Each pixel will be composed of an elongated Blue subpixel, one square Red subpixel, one square Green subpixel. Overall, the distribution is equal... however the arrangement is not!

What does this mean?
Because the subpixels aren’t shared between two different pixels, you won’t have the “jagedness” effect which most people see. However, it is NOT a square arrangement like regular RGB, so this means you are more likely to get inaccurate colours and “blurring”. Not to the extent of PenTile, but not a clean look like regular RGB’s. Lastly, the high pixel density is more likely to "mask" some of the artificial blurring however colour accuracy won't be affected, which isn't important since they are over-saturated to begin with (!).

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Here is the XDA thread on Note 2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1860893

Some additional things I like are that it can be purchased with 64GB internal memory and then further expanded to 128GB via 64 GB external sd card. While battery is removable you do not have to take it out to replace sim or sd card. Still prefer it wider like Note 1 but not a deal breaker.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I am buying another Note 1 It's enough for me plus I don't like the design to much.

When will we see note III.. Next October?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-08-30 at 14:52.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I am buying another Note 1 It's enough for me plus I don't like the design to much.

When will we see note III.. Next October?
Why another? it's not like they're rare or discontinued.

Tags
android, galaxy note