Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Just wondering when your microusb is plugged in, does yours wiggle(lean) to the right?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Not a good sign, Guyver.

Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Just wondering when your microusb is plugged in, does yours wiggle(lean) to the right?
What do you mean? Mine wiggles a little. Doesn't lean though.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
Yes it was you I was referring to.

If your n900 said/says n900 in the upper right corner, it was production.

If your n900 does not say n900 in the upper right, it is pre-production. It is extremely unlikely you would receive a pre-production unit without knowing it.

I've seen that video, but it's not clear enough to really tell whats going on RE the female usb port
Roger that. I'll check tomorrow to see if there is any "reinforcement" or "bracing" on the new unit, and if it differs from my original. But again, basically the only thing holding "my" port in place were the soldering points (4), about 1mm sq. each, and (2) larger 2mm sq. "square patches" on the bottom of the metal part surrounding the USB "tounge", which seemed to be epoxied on...thin layer at that.

Comparing to my Motorola Q with micro-USB, the port is braced by the phone's body, and possibly some of the internals...nothing of the sort on the 900. Its pretty much free standing.

I'll definately be using my Motorola power supply, as it looks like the spring loaded clips on the micro USB connector are smaller then the Nokia's.

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
I was wondering how long the usb port will hold up on the N900 as it seems rather delicate. With me connecting/disconnecting it several times a day I fear that it may break prematurely. Am I paranoid?
opposite of you johnson, the connecting/disconnecting can hold up a long time. great questions. please continue.

I feel the same way. Each time I connect/disconnect I fear it may be the last. lol
The strange thing for me is that sometimes I plug in the ac adapter and it does not start to charge. I then unplug and plug back in and it charges, anyone else experience that?

Just used my N900 less than 1 month, and found today I couldn't charge it unless I press the charging cable connection with N900. As long as I release my finger, charging stop. I changed cable to computer one, same as before. Any solution/suggestion? I think this is design issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by nbkjbmj; 2010-01-02 at 20:31. Reason: Added Picture

The Following User Says Thank You to nbkjbmj For This Useful Post:
Erm... Take it to Nokia care? Phone nokia?

Just called Nokia Support, he told me to ship back and I need to pay the shipping fee! That sucks, I paid hundreds bucks but no free shipping...

The Following User Says Thank You to nbkjbmj For This Useful Post:
Update: the power jack on the phone is peeled off entirely, poor quality...you guys need to be careful about that. I have to return this...

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty