Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
A couple matters:

- I don't see any way to start a new drawing except to quit and restart the program — with no New command and no Save As..., how do you say "Done with this, now for something new!"?

- The tutorial mentions that tooltips display in the Brush Settings dialog when the mouse is positioned over the label. Any way to activate these?

Thanks.

Btw, the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to display when I launch the program. Then, sometime later, they show up. Don't know what that's about.

Roger

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Again -- and ad nauseam : Is this an ITOS2008-only program, or can it be run on 2007?
Here you go. This is anders_gud's build 3 bult for bora. I had to change /usr/lib/python2.3 to python2.5. Otherwise no changes or performance enhancements.

http://pupnik.de/bora/mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon3_armel.deb

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
- I don't see any way to start a new drawing except to quit and restart the program — with no New command and no Save As..., how do you say "Done with this, now for something new!"?
I tend to just Clear and Save, as one always gets the dialog... I'd like incremental numbering as an option.

- The tutorial mentions that tooltips display in the Brush Settings dialog when the mouse is positioned over the label. Any way to activate these?
You are right, I haven't noticed that they are missing... I guess it is a Matchbox (mouse support) issue?

Btw, the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to display when I launch the program. Then, sometime later, they show up. Don't know what that's about.
Always there for me...

Cheers!
A

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
A couple matters:

Thanks.

Roger
1) Use file-clear to clear the canvas

2) There are no mouse-over tooltops with stylus based devices, since you click as soon as you move the mouse.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Here you go. This is anders_gud's build 3 bult for bora. I had to change /usr/lib/python2.3 to python2.5. Otherwise no changes or performance enhancements.

http://pupnik.de/bora/mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon3_armel.deb
Nah. It installs, with --force-depends, but none of the libs you mentioned in your earlier post have the version number required. Clicking on the app makes it try to start, but bum out after 30 seconds or so.

I tried looking up if newer versions of those libs are available for me, but this f*cking sh*thole of a long entry is still in Application Mangler, so I can't bloody see anything.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Clicking on the app makes it try to start, but bum out after 30 seconds or so.
Probably Python version mismatch...
Try
# ln -s /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mypaint /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mypaint

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
ln: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mypaint: No such file or directory

Hmmm...

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by anders_gud View Post
I tend to just Clear and Save, as one always gets the dialog... I'd like incremental numbering as an option.
So Save really acts as Save As... then.

I've been playing around a lot, and just clearing the screen to discard and start a new drawing. But now and then I'd want to save something -- and I didn't click Save because I didn't want to wipe out the drawing whose name was being used.

If you don't have separate Save and Save As commands, perhaps the command should be renamed.

- Save ... (indicates you're going to get a dialog; really non-standard)
- Save/Save As... (indicates you want this one command for either action)
- Save As... (If there's no Save, it's probably easier to figure out you should use Save As to keep changes than the current situation, where you need to use Save when you really want Save As)

Originally Posted by anders_gud View Post
Always there for me...
I'll see if I can figure out what might trigger the shortcuts' appearance, and maybe that will be the clue as to why they're not showing up when the app is first launched.

Roger

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
2) There are no mouse-over tooltops with stylus-based devices, since you click as soon as you move the mouse.
The tutorial seems to indicate that you get the tooltips when the mouse is over the label in Brush Settings.

But of course, clicking the label isn't going to do anything in the Hildonized version (nor in a mouse-based environment for that matter), so ... well, I don't know. Does that help anything?

You say, "There are no mouseover tooltips with stylus-based devices." This makes sense. But do you mean, "It's not practical to have them, so nobody does"? or do you mean, "They're not practical, so the environment doesn't even provide for them"?

If there's no way to get those tooltips to display as tooltips, I wonder if there is some other way to display this info to the new user. What do you think?

Roger

Added later:

I stripped the tooltips from the brushsettings.py file in the source and stuck them into an html file, which others might find useful and perhaps which Anders may wish to add to the tutorial file. I think I have successfully added the (zip) file to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tooltips.zip (2.8 KB, 171 views)

Heya,

Well i did some profiling on the program and testing with cflags, so here's anders_gud's latest improvements (dbus) with some of my preferences, and optimized build flags. At least on my tablet, this version feels much more responsive. Please let me know if you agree, or if i am imagining this!

http://pupnik.de/mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon3c_armel.deb (os2008 only)

Re: Karel. I don't know why that bora build put things in python 2.3, so i may have screwed up by renaming it to 2.5.

(edit) Oh, and now i have undo = Ctl-Z (y on german kbd) and redo = Ctl-X. if you prefer Anders keymappings and dislike the banner tips, copy his /usr/share/mypaint/python/drawwindow.py to somewhere else before installing my version, then copy it bak.

(edit2) RogerS: "But do you mean, "It's not practical to have them, so nobody does"?" -Yes. I don't know how they would be implemented. The idea of tooltips is to show context-relevant info on a widget *before* user clicks on it. On the tablet, you can not position the mouse over a widget *without* simultaneously clicking on it. Maybe we could display info on a brush *when* the user clicks on it?

(edit3) Ok i'd just like to describe a couple of 'wish brushes' that would help me out so much..

1) A colorizing brush, that doesn't (strongly) adjust brightness of a region, but pushes chroma values towards the selected color. Note that when adjusting pure white or black, it would also need to adjust overall brightness to be able to make any color change. Not sure how to do this. Reason for wanting this is I have no color painting skills. I see everything in luminance (light, shadows) and sketch as i would with a pencil, but colorizing the image at a later stage would let me make 'paintings' out of the image. To really get 'dreamy' about this, one could implment this in a completely seperate 'chromalayer', which wouldn't adjust the underlying black/white image at all.

2) A shift /pull brush. Also *not easy* but here's the problem it would address. Frequenly I get placement of elements (eyes, nose, mouth) slightly wrong in my image. I'd like a 'shift' brush that would allow me to tap and 'pull' a region by a few pixels in the desired direction. This is also not trivial since the edges of the pulled area would need to remain in-place. I.e. the pull jot stroke pulls the center of the region more strongly in the desired direction than the edges.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-04-05 at 21:38.