Notices

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ New Zealand
I actually really like Ovi maps. Of course if it ever gets the premium service on the N900 it will be much better but for me down here in New Zealand I am really impressed with Ovi maps. I just did a huge road trip and used the maps countless times. If I wanted a toilet or post office or supermarket in a town or city I did not know I just typed in "toilet" or "food" or "McDonalds" or whatever and it found all these services first time everytime. I was with a mate who was using his iPhone and google maps and I could find everything he could if not more. To moan about it I would be nit picking. I love the come built in and just work.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Please port it and make it offline usable as well.

Google Earth has already been ported to Linux, so they have some existing X11 codebase to work from. But I suspect they'll want to reserve that as a feature for Android.

As I said before, Google doesn't care what OS you use (at least not for now). They care whether you use the service or not. The main thing stopping Google from doing anything with Maemo is profitability.

Basically..

Is it justifable to spend time creating Google Product on Maemo given Maemo's userbase. The answer is no for right now, it likely costs Google more in development and support time more than the information and revenue received from Maemo users using their product.

Though I bet once Nokia releases more Maemo devices, and gets the QT thing worked out you'll start seeing Google products. Since then there will be more users (or in the QT case, they can create the Symbian app using QT and easily port it over to Maemo).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Hi All,

Because I love using the Google Maps App on my N95, and will miss it on my N900 (the web browser version will not do - it would be awkward t ouse and isn't location aware).

I'd love for the big G to port the mobile app to the N900/Maemo5. So I created the following post, under the Maps, Feature Requests / Suggestions section. Hopefully if enough people post there to express their interest hopefully it'll get noticed, and something might happen.

So feel free to post here:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...ee0c06c6&hl=en

google maps rocks.....its ease of use and intuition is unparalleled.......

Originally Posted by nbosch1 View Post
Are you sure that they are still using Navteq anywhere? In the US they dropped Navteq in favor of Tele Atlas a couple years ago and recently started using mostly their own data... check the copyright at the bottom of a google maps page, is it still Navteq where you're at?
That was the information I was given by nokia Sweden that google maps were using nokias maps, so unless this guy gave me old/ bad info the might some very weird reason use ifferent databases witch I doubt.

have to check the google maps pack like you mentioned.
And if they switched I stand corrected

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
google maps rocks.....its ease of use and intuition is unparalleled.......
...and they track your every move...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I just don't completely get google maps. I use it daily on my desktop pc, which has high speed internet connection and I consider it really reliable.

What comes to my N900 and 3g connection it's far away from my desktop connection as possible.

I have downloaded Nokia maps to my N900 and happily use them without having to be depended on fast and reliable internet connection. I use connection to move couple of kb only at gps connection and when searching places.

Just that when you use GPS how you can trust your 3g connection? It's not even possible everywhere. Enlighten me because if I used my data connection as my map source I would carry paper version of map always with me :|

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Ive been using 'Google Latitude', when in there you go to options and it has the 'maps' button, this takes you to google maps (on your phone) and it works pretty much like the normal google maps on other phones.

Its not perfect and I haven't worked out how to zoom out yet, but its a decent solution until the real thing comes out.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
I just don't completely get google maps. I use it daily on my desktop pc, which has high speed internet connection and I consider it really reliable.

What comes to my N900 and 3g connection it's far away from my desktop connection as possible.

I have downloaded Nokia maps to my N900 and happily use them without having to be depended on fast and reliable internet connection. I use connection to move couple of kb only at gps connection and when searching places.

Just that when you use GPS how you can trust your 3g connection? It's not even possible everywhere. Enlighten me because if I used my data connection as my map source I would carry paper version of map always with me :|
you don't need a data connection, your phone can lock its GPS without data.

you just need the maps on your hard drive.

Tags
google maps, port