Active Topics

Well, since a corrupt nvd_data is believed to be part of the problem, does anyone have either a way to reset nvd_data to default values, or a clean one I can start again with?

EDIT: AHA! I did some digging and found someone who had actually tried deleting the nvd_data file (I simply renamed it nvd_data.old) and told GPS to start fresh. I tried that and, believe it or not, it got a GPS fix in less than a minute!

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2008-08-02 at 14:31.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Well, since a corrupt nvd_data is believed to be part of the problem, does anyone have either a way to reset nvd_data to default values, or a clean one I can start again with?

EDIT: AHA! I did some digging and found someone who had actually tried deleting the nvd_data file (I simply renamed it nvd_data.old) and told GPS to start fresh. I tried that and, believe it or not, it got a GPS fix in less than a minute!
Sorry to come to the party late, but I just got my N810 yesterday . I assume your quick lock after deleting the nvd_data file was _with_ a net connection of some sort to refresh it? tx
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Has there really been no progress with the GPS on the N810? I've never had a satellite lock, though my cheap-o Belkin gets one in seconds. Last night, I left it outside, facing south, pointed up for *2*hours*, and no lock.

Today, after reading to remove the "nvd_data" file, I got a lock in 3 minutes. I exited maemo mapper, and still haven't got another lock. I've still had it sitting there for 30 minutes now with no lock -- at least I know (in theory) that the GPS might work someday.

The bugzilla entry seems to fully indicate no progress whatsoever in resolving this. I paid for the N810 over an N800 specifically for the GPS -- which doesn't work!

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
I don't know if this is old news or not, but I thought I'd post anway.

I had two N810s that refused to fix (>12 hours) and were sitting on the same window sill as two others that were happily locked on. The two sick ones couldn't see any satellites whilst the other two could see seven or eight with at least four lit up in green.

I found that I could copy the /var/lib/gps/nvd_data from one of the good ones to the two ailing ones, restart the gpsd (via the GPS Enable tick box) and they both recovered.

There is now a script sitting on all four that, should I get stuck again, will copy a 'good' nvd_data to /var/lib/gps. Hopefully this will allow me to get working again if the problem reappears (which it will).

My guess is that, if gpsd shuts down when it is not locked, then garbage can get written to nvd_data. Sometimes it can cope, other times it can't and the effects are unpredictable.

I imagine that, for this workaround to be of use to anyone else, you would need your own 'good' nvd_data saved at a time when you know it is locked on in your part of the world.

HTH

Paxton

P.S. I've tried copying the nvd_data to a fifth N810. My window sill isn't big enough for that one, so it is on a bench well away from the window. It has locked on no problem.
Just wondering, does a-gps also create the nvd_data file? I want to add the nvd_data business to the Maemo Mapper HowTo I wrote. I want to fully understand before I do.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

No, gpsdriver creates the nvd_data file, and gpsdriver talks to the supl server (via supld I presume) over DBUS.

I wonder if there's some error in the data gpsdriver writes into the nvd_data file? Might explain why people get fixes after deleting it. Shame we don't have the source....

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:

Tags
gps, n810