Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
About security, I keep saying that security experts are confident about the Web Runtime so if you have concrete arguments please just expose them. Blunt conclusions based on the use of Javascript leave little space for constructive discussion. fwiw
It's a pity that we don't have documents with that quality and organization for Maemo, but I still have hope

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
It's a pity that we don't have documents with that quality and organization for Maemo, but I still have hope
Hey, we have (or used to have) the libhildon devhelp package, which wasn't that bad! (and also offline!).

If this idle speculation should happen to be fact, I would judge it as this:

- It would be sad because it would be leaving behind a part of the soul of Maemo. Maemo has always been about standing apart when it comes to internet browsing.

- It would be leaving behind advantages to go running after the competition. Much like Phone 7 dropping multitasking.

- It would be a shame because microb is a better browser than Firefox. microb is in manys opinion the best browser among the current alternatives.

- It would however not be the death of mobile browsing, because both the Gecko, Webkit and Gecko strains are improving fast. We have an OS that allows for installing whatever software someone is willing to port.

- I believe Nokia has resources to make a good webkit browser. Of course, that also goes for every competitor.

That said, this is idle speculation, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, I will say it again, this is an Idle Speculation Thread.

I'm frustrated that I can't change the title of my thread to end in a question mark.

EDIT: Thanks Mr. Moderator for fixing my thread title.

Last edited by qole; 2010-03-23 at 21:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Web Runtime is for offline apps as well! The main point is "easy and fast to develop with a technology familiar to most web developers", not online push or something.
Offline as well? Are you guys thinking about getting rid of the X server?

About security, I keep saying that security experts are confident about the Web Runtime so if you have concrete arguments please just expose them.
I'm not sure if you we're referring to me here, but I'm not worried about security in the context of this thread. When I mentioned being frightened, I was referring to resource usage such as the CPU.

Blunt conclusions based on the use of Javascript leave little space for constructive discussion.
I'm in the middle of porting my bluntness to C. I'll post it and the similar Python here soon. Even though some other details are needed for completeness, I think it's a decent demonstration of the technology differences. The default configuration of the Conversation app stutters consistently; it seems simple text that spans more than one line creates problems. According to others, these problems get noticeably worse as the UI configuration gets more complex. That makes sense, but there's no good reason for a simple UI to exhibit such behavior.

I didn't think so anyway, and I decided to demonstrate why. I'm not sure I can be more constructive than that.

Last edited by daperl; 2010-03-23 at 21:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
As much as i hate flash, i hope that no matter what browser we get till the end on the n900 we at least get the accelerated flash 10 so we can have a good flash support until it's deprecated...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can see what you mean, though. By offering the Firefox-branded browser to MeeGo as a separate product, Mozilla can have much more control over the experience.
I can't say I have a whole lot of confidence in either company having control over the experience, although Nokia's experience has generally been more pleasant and usable than Mozilla's so far.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I suspect the dismal state of javascript on ARM is a big part of the problem with mobile browsers (and browser-based frameworks) at the moment. I think a well-optimised javascript engine would go a long, long way towards helping WRT (and the browser) fly.

daperl: A fast, themeable Conversations GUI replacement (even if those themes were just a handful of preset themes) would be an incredibly useful app for me.

I'm an edge-case user in many things, so I may be wrong, but I think there'd be some serious demand for something like that in Extras.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
daperl: A fast, themeable Conversations GUI replacement (even if those themes were just a handful of preset themes) would be an incredibly useful app for me.

I'm an edge-case user in many things, so I may be wrong, but I think there'd be some serious demand for something like that in Extras.
I'll take a look under the hood and let you know what I see.

@qole:

Well, the obvious place to try and plug something in would be microb. It actually could be a killer hack depending on how much widget creation and communication is outside the proprietary stuff. I'm naively optimistic, as usual. You've sucked me in a little bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
firefox, mozilla, web runtime, webkit, wrt