Active Topics

Originally Posted by tso View Post
Well there will be some extra cpu activity compressing and decompressing the swapped out data.
But no physical I/O which should offset that. I've been running mine with ramzswap for many months and haven't noticed any reduction in battery life. I don't have any useful data or observations for the "turbo" kernel yet.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
well there is the swap_prefetch to consider now, not sure how that affects things.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
In fact I was trying to add the swap notification patch myself, but hit some problems (kernel oops during swapon) that I haven't managed to track down yet.
Hm, the plot thickens. It turns out my swap notify patch is identical to 08-patch_swap_notifier_generic_2.6.25.diff, but the DT kernel doesn't exhibit my problem. I must be screwing up somewhere else...

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by tso View Post
well there is the swap_prefetch to consider now, not sure how that affects things.
Doesn't, at all. It is a veeeeeery loooooooong period timer.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Hm, the plot thickens. It turns out my swap notify patch is identical to 08-patch_swap_notifier_generic_2.6.25.diff, but the DT kernel doesn't exhibit my problem. I must be screwing up somewhere else...
Are you using my ramzswap 0.5.5 modules? The 0.5.4 release from compcache homepage is buggy and crashes on swapon/swapoff. Ah, and don't expect the 0.5.3 modules from ramzez-init to be compatible, either.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Are you using my ramzswap 0.5.5 modules?
With your kernel, yes. Previously I was playing with hand-rolled 0.5.4 ones on CSSU + swap notify kernel.

The 0.5.4 release from compcache homepage is buggy and crashes on swapon/swapoff.
Aha, that seems to explain it then. But... where did you find 0.5.5?! It's not listed in http://code.google.com/p/compcache/downloads/list at least.

Edit: I see, you didn't "find" it, you fixed it yourself - thanks! :-)

Last edited by lma; 2011-02-15 at 18:26.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
maacruz
I was too busy to investigate battery problem but today I lost 20% of charge as I listened music for an hour. (quasar using mplayer).
May be it is because of Advanced sistemui made by auouymous, but I think it is Diablo turbo.

Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
maacruz
I was too busy to investigate battery problem but today I lost 20% of charge as I listened music for an hour. (quasar using mplayer).
May be it is because of Advanced sistemui made by auouymous, but I think it is Diablo turbo.
Kroll, that battery usage is consistent with the use of mplayer to play music, no matter the kernel. If you use mplayer to play music the cpu will be running at 400 MHZ constantly, since the cpu is doing the decoding, and that means 5 hours of battery life. 1h/5h=20%
I'll address any issue you find, but you have to make a proper test, reproductible, and with both kernels to spot the difference. Please, understand that I can't test everything myself, just don't have enough time.

Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
today I lost 20% of charge as I listened music for an hour. (quasar using mplayer).
Are you using 400/133 or 333/220 ratio? Try running `/etc/init.d/advanced-systemui stop` as root before you listen to music next time and see if the battery still drops by 20% in an hour.

Anyway, I can make a test kernel with tunable polling, then we can meassure if it has any impact by leaving the device alone for some hours with and without polling after a full charge.
Listening for disable_ts and turning off polling while locked would be a good start. How hard would it be to use a dynamic polling rate that decays between two tunable values the longer no data is available?

I'll see if I can modify the op_dsp patch to allow changes on the fly, since the current op state can be modified by writting to /sys/power/op_active even with the dsp active.
What does op_active do?

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
1h/5h=20%
Usually i listen music for 2-3 hours everyday and charge n810 once per two or free days! And I take notes, checking the mail etc and my tablet keeps the charge for two days minimum.
Ok, tomorrow I will make a test...
Are you using 400/133 or 333/220 ratio?
default one so 400/133 i guess...

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008