Active Topics

Also make sure you install python for the nap server.

Code:
apt-get install python
And wait a few minutes after a fresh reboot. Harmattan boots services in parallel and the UI may show up before the nap server is started from /etc/init/apps.

Originally Posted by mattaustin View Post
I just got tethering working using Bluetooth between the N9 and Nexus 7. I prefer Bluetooth tethering when I don't need a super-fast connection as it goes easier on the battery.

I installed an app on the Nexus 7 from Google Play called "BlueVPN [DUN Client]". I then paired the devices, started BlueVPN, and set the Access Point (3G) name in the settings. I could then link to the N9 and use my 3G connection.

I've also read that this works more reliably when wi-fi is turned off on the Nexus 7.
I just would like to report an easy success with this method!

The N9 phone and N7 tablet were already paired. Neither one was rooted or anything special. I installed "BlueVPN [DUN Client]" on the Nexus 7 from Google Play. Then I copied a single line setting line from the N9 access point settings (the AP name) to the relevant setting on N7. It works beautifully!

- Simppa -

Works for me now as well via BlueVPN. Too bad the AP settings etc. aren't device specific, apparently I will have to change them each time I want to switch from my mobile to the other one...

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
  • Download my kernel and modules.
  • Depmod the modules
  • Flash the kernel.
  • Untar the btpan scripts under /
  • remove the "network" clause from DisablePlugins in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
  • Connect from other devices!
Success with N9 -> Nexus 7, thanks a lot! PAN is now usable.

A bit more detailed from my experience:
  • Have a whole image + open mode kernel already flashed and working
  • Download kernel and modules - the btlc variants
  • Transfer the modules .tar.gz to the device, devel-su and tar zxvf unpack at /
  • Depmod the modules (depmod -a 2.6.32.54btlc-dfl61)
  • Power off, Flash the new kernel only (-F fullimage.bin -k zImage_2.6.32.54btlc-dfl61 --flash-only=kernel), and boot.
  • Untar the btpan scripts (tether.tar) under /
  • Reboot, connect from other devices!

The Following User Says Thank You to TimoJyrinki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TimoJyrinki View Post
Success with N9 -> Nexus 7, thanks a lot! PAN is now usable.

A bit more detailed from my experience:
  • Have a whole image + open mode kernel already flashed and working
  • Download kernel and modules - the btlc variants
  • Transfer the modules .tar.gz to the device, devel-su and tar zxvf unpack at /
  • Depmod the modules (depmod -a 2.6.32.54btlc-dfl61)
  • Power off, Flash the new kernel only (-F fullimage.bin -k zImage_2.6.32.54btlc-dfl61 --flash-only=kernel), and boot.
  • Untar the btpan scripts (tether.tar) under /
  • Reboot, connect from other devices!
Is there any difference in functionality with this method versus using an app like BlueVPN on the Nexus 7? For example, are you able to use Google Maps over a bluetooth internet connection? (while not connected to any wi-fi networks)

Originally Posted by eviloar View Post
Is there any difference in functionality with this method versus using an app like BlueVPN on the Nexus 7? For example, are you able to use Google Maps over a bluetooth internet connection? (while not connected to any wi-fi networks)
There are no limitations with the bluetooth scripts. I use an iPod Touch and Nexus 7 all day with no reduced functionality compared to wifi (other than speed).

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
There are no limitations with the bluetooth scripts. I use an iPod Touch and Nexus 7 all day with no reduced functionality compared to wifi (other than speed).
Wow. Guess it's time to get a custom kernel on my N9!

Thank you so much for writing up the instructions for us, btw.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
With CM10.2 you can use N9's WIFI AP, since CM10.2 also supports adhoc-mode on Nexus 7.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
With CM10.2 you can use N9's WIFI AP, since CM10.2 also supports adhoc-mode on Nexus 7.
I know, but I don't really have any interest in using CM. Stock 4.3 has come a long way from the last android device I owned running 2.3, and I don't really think I would gain anything from it aside from ad-hoc, and the need to update/flash nightlies feels like a burden to me now.

I don't think an ad-hoc patch exists for the 2013 Nexus 7's wifi drivers yet anyway, I am planning to take a crack at it eventually as I'm starting to read up on developing for the platform but it will take time.

Honestly though, I think I'd prefer proper bluetooth tethering over wi-fi with this phone as the battery life would be flattened with joikuspot. I would be upset with the slower speeds if the N9 had LTE, but it's not so bad when i've only got 3.5G anyway.

battery life is great with bluetooth tethering. I only use my N9 for calls. Hence, the screen is rarely on. My iPod touch is tethered all day. Both last all day with basic usage.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post: