Active Topics

Really interesting (and long) thread. I just wanted to add my comment on MMS. It's not a deal-breaker but it's something I'd certainly expect. If I bought the device and in it's lifetime it never got MMS support I would be very peeved because I think it should have it, even if I only use it occasionally but I would get over it. I just shouldn't have to.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Again, I have to say I dont give a damn what demographic they aim for , if a phone you can get for free can do it, a goddamn $700 handheld computer phone should be able to.

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Yes, having MMS on a feature phone is important, but the N900 isn't a feature phone with limited resources. . We prioritized our resources to have brilliant multitasking of the frequent use cases. You can share photos easily to the Internet or by email. Implementing MMS would have meant dragging the ancient WAP 1.2.1 standard used for the push notificatiom to a modern computer OS in times when our target audience wants to share high quality images to Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, Ovi and so on. MMS receipt would maybe gotten us far enough, so others can send her photo to you, but we decided to put our R&D into other areas. I hope consumers will forgive us for the time being.
This is a deal breaker for me and would prevent me from buying this phone. The iPhone people corrected this after 3 years and I wouldn't want to buy a N900 to wait 3 years for MMS. Sure, it is a stone age feature but I personally don't want to email somebody a photo when I can send it directly via MMS. I believe I am not alone in saying this.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Kooby View Post
This is a deal breaker for me and would prevent me from buying this phone. The iPhone people corrected this after 3 years and I wouldn't want to buy a N900 to wait 3 years for MMS. Sure, it is a stone age feature but I personally don't want to email somebody a photo when I can send it directly via MMS. I believe I am not alone in saying this.
With the Maemo OS, there are so many other ways to accomplish the same end result that I could care less about MMS. I'm glad Nokia was wise enough to put their resources into more important features.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
I haven't actually owned a cellphone for over a decade, but MMS seems to be a band-aid technology that really needs to be allowed to die....along with SMS.

It seems inconceivable to me that we will continue to differentiate between "voice" and "data" plans in the future. It's all data. It can all be packaged and delivered reliably over a TCP/IP network. The legacy "voice" plans must surely die off.

It's the network, stupid

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
MMS may be a band-aid, but as long as there isn't a widespread standard for doing the same over the internet, it's necessary. IM and email coexist and serve different purposes, so there's not much sense in telling users to use another service. Hopefully Nokia will have some dev time available to fix it soon, and I can understand why it's a low priority.

This would actually be a good opportunity to leverage Ovi to implement identical functionality over modern protocols.

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
About MMS; feel free to help the community effort get the ball rolling on this, we have a thread about it at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32129

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Kooby View Post
This is a deal breaker for me and would prevent me from buying this phone.
Drink!

I want a T-Shirt that says:

FRONT:
I don't do MMS
I'm not a USB host
I'm not 4.1"
I prefer landscape

BACK (in a horror / gothic font):

I am the
DEALBREAKER

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Dude....if you want to wear something that provokes a debate over whether you're 4.1"....be my guest.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
MMS may be a band-aid, but as long as there isn't a widespread standard for doing the same over the internet, it's necessary.
You're kidding me, right? XMPP? That's where maemo should be headed.

If you want to make it fustercluck-proof, you can hide the 'client' as an embedded feature of the device. The chuntering masses need not be aware they're actually using some new software.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900